home

Author Topic: [2250p] All-round list  (Read 741 times)

Offline Melchior

• Members
[2250p] All-round list
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
I'm trying to flesh out a basic all-round list to use as a basis for casual play. We've got a very wide range of players, some of them rather experienced, but most of them got a pretty good idea of how to play so I can pretty much take whatever list I want. I'd prefer to keep the steamtanks out of the basic list, though.

The idea is to switch in other units as needed, either to tailor to a specific army in a more competitive game or to throw in fun units against newer players. However, since I have had some problems previously with lacking a good solid center and focusing too much on cool special/rares, I'd like to have something to start with.

Lord:
[199] General of the Empire
Barded Warhorse, Shield, Dawn Armor, Sword of Might, Holy Relic

Heroes:
[127] Battle Standard Bearer
Barded Warhorse, Full Plate, Griffon Banner

[119] Warrior Priest
Great Weapon, Armor of Meteoric Iron

[115] Battle Wizard
Level 1, 2xDispel Scroll

Core:
[188] 23xSwordsmen, Full Command, Warbanner (General goes here)
- [54] 9xSwordsmen, Detachment
- [48] 6xArchers, Detachment

[163] 23xSwordsmen, Full Command (BSB goes here)

[80] 10xCrossbowmen

[105] 10xHandgunners, Marksman, Hochland

[123] 5xKnights, Musician

[123] 5xKnights, Musician

Special:

[270] 24xGreatswords, Full Command (Priest goes here)

[100] Great Cannon

[100] Great Cannon

Rare:

[110] Helblaster (Wizard goes here or with cannons)

And now on to my specific questions...

- I haven't assembled all the state troops yet. I could turn the block with the general into halbardiers instead, with a 5x2 halbardier detachment, but I'm not sure if that would be suicide or not. It would certainly be cool, and with the general and the warbanner in there it could possibly just maybe kill something. Should I do it? I can try it out with proxies before I assemble anything.

- Size of the infantry blocks. I can easily get more state troops, and I can get more greatswords from spare bits. Something tells me that 28-29 would be a better safeguard against fearcausers, but with screening archers I'm not sure it's needed in most situations. I definitely don't want to go with less than 5 whole ranks.

- Archer detachments... 5 or 6 in each? I have enough spare parts that I can make a total of 20 from a militia box. I might be able to stretch it to 7, but I don't think that's really needed.

- What lord to pick. I'm pretty sure I can manage with the magical defense I have but it's a bit poor, but an arch lector is also an option. I can't get hold of a war altar but the guy is pretty good on horse. This could also go decently well with halbardiers due to hatred, but you lose the warbanner option.

- Character placement. Anything I should shuffle around? The way they are now it wouldn't be too hard to give the general and bsb bonuses to multiple units, and I definitely want hatred in my greatswords.

- With some point shuffling I can squeeze in either a unit of pistoleers, outriders with hochland, flaggelants, another helblaster or quite a lot more state troops + greatswords to make them last longer. Any suggestions on what would suit the rest of the list?

- Are hochlands really worth it? I like my crossbowmen, but I got quite a few handgunners painted already. I love using my cannons for character sniping and I know it would come in handy against pretty much all armies.

- Shall I bring more core shooting troops? They tend to be rather hard to deploy properly but they are pretty cheap and effective.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:59:26 AM by Melchior »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
Re: [2250p] All-round list
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »
This looks like a really solid army!

- I haven't assembled all the state troops yet. I could turn the block with the general into halbardiers instead, with a 5x2 halbardier detachment, but I'm not sure if that would be suicide or not. It would certainly be cool, and with the general and the warbanner in there it could possibly just maybe kill something. Should I do it? I can try it out with proxies before I assemble anything.

If your club allows it, try out the proxies.  I use halberdiers as detachments because I like them.  Halberdiers are, in theory, supposed to hit hard enough to kill some stuff, but they will probably die pretty quickly.  Swordsmen are used by a lot of folks for survivability, and to just get that combat resolution bonus.  I just like the image of madmen coming around the flank with big axes. :wink:

- Size of the infantry blocks. I can easily get more state troops, and I can get more greatswords from spare bits. Something tells me that 28-29 would be a better safeguard against fearcausers, but with screening archers I'm not sure it's needed in most situations. I definitely don't want to go with less than 5 whole ranks.

You're good where you are, but if you want more that's fine.  As long as you maintain your maximum rank bonuses that's the big issue.  If you have points to spare, you can beef up the units.  I do have a spear unit of 30, just in case I want anything really big.

- Archer detachments... 5 or 6 in each? I have enough spare parts that I can make a total of 20 from a militia box. I might be able to stretch it to 7, but I don't think that's really needed.

Either is good enough, really.  This is an issue of flavoring to taste.

- What lord to pick. I'm pretty sure I can manage with the magical defense I have but it's a bit poor, but an arch lector is also an option. I can't get hold of a war altar but the guy is pretty good on horse. This could also go decently well with halbardiers due to hatred, but you lose the warbanner option.

If you need the magic boost, he's not a bad option.  Don't need to worry about the altar, really.  You can also bump your wizard to a level 2 and give him the Rod of Power for some flexibility.

- Character placement. Anything I should shuffle around? The way they are now it wouldn't be too hard to give the general and bsb bonuses to multiple units, and I definitely want hatred in my greatswords.

At the moment, I think you've got a good setup.  Just make sure, no matter what, you have the BSB near your greatswords.  You definitely want them sticking around as much as possible.  It doesn't need to be in the unit itself, just near by.

- With some point shuffling I can squeeze in either a unit of pistoleers, outriders with hochland, flaggelants, another helblaster or quite a lot more state troops + greatswords to make them last longer. Any suggestions on what would suit the rest of the list?

You already have 3 big blocks, I wouldn't advise another.  It gets too crowded.  Either pistoliers or outriders.  Neither perform the same role. So would you want a pesky unit that can do a lot in pistoliers?  Or, a mobile gun platform in the Outriders?  I think the Outriders would make a 2nd helblaster redundant, as you'd have 3 units that could throw out some serious fire power then.

- Are hochlands really worth it? I like my crossbowmen, but I got quite a few handgunners painted already. I love using my cannons for character sniping and I know it would come in handy against pretty much all armies.

I never have used them, but I hear that they're good in numbers of 2+.  One never seems to do enough. 

- Shall I bring more core shooting troops? They tend to be rather hard to deploy properly but they are pretty cheap and effective.

I think you've got a good core of shooting.  It's just about right in a balanced list without going into 'cheese' territory.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Melchior

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:28:10 PM »
Pistoleers would be nice, but they would perform a similar duty to the archer detachments. Since I haven't played with them yet, I'm not sure how much I'd actually need. The models are cool, though.

Outriders would help a lot with securing the flanks, which I think would be my biggest current weakness.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »
There you have it!  And they're more stable than helblasters. :wink:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Huntsmen

• Members
  • Luck is temporary, skill is permenant
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »
If your worried about fear causes try get the icon of magnus on the Greatswords and they will be pretty much unbreakable.

As for the numbers in your blocks they look fine, maybe to many Greatswords for some people's liking as they are quite expensive and die just as easily as a Swordsmen but should holded for ever. Swordsmen look okay but I would try get a extra 5 or so men for the block with the Griffon Banner for added buffer. As you will loses 2CR after just 6 men.

To save points you could make the xbows a detachament to the handgunners and it would also stop panic.

Otherwise looks solid and competitive.

Good Luck
Huntsmen
Is 595 points good enough for your Huntsmen?   
Loving Jack 10 suited spades!!!