home

Author Topic: Your dream team - 2000 pts list for tournament  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Corax13

• Members
Your dream team - 2000 pts list for tournament
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
Hey folks,

I'll do this one in reverse, instead of submitting my list I want you to build my list.

I have a "friendly" tournament this weekend and I need an all-comers list worth 2000 pts. Chances are I am going to face Ogres, Lizardmen, O&G, High Elves, Vampire counts and maybe Dark Elves... so yeah, right off the bat I know I need to take a LVL 4 caster (or two), but what else would you see?

Without going too much into details, try to explain the reasons and tactics behind your choice... 

The idea here is not for me to literally apply your list but to actually generate and discuss various builds and strategies....

Thanks for your help
Thou shalt pass beyond the gates!

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
Re: Your dream team - 2000 pts list for tournament
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »
It would probably be best if we had a list of your availible models.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Corax13

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »
Oh, don't worry about what I have or not. This is a friendly tournament so I can proxy what's missing. Do not limit yourself with what is...

Offline Newt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »
Why not just scour the bunches of pages in the battleground for good builds and go from there?  It's almost like you are asking us to do all you research for your benefit a lone.  Once you finish going through slap something together and ask how to strengthen or revamp.

Offline Forgotten Beast

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
Start with 2 cannons, 4-8 Demigryphs (split in squads how you please), and a level 4

Offline Corax13

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:34:30 AM »
Why not just scour the bunches of pages in the battleground for good builds and go from there?  It's almost like you are asking us to do all you research for your benefit a lone.  Once you finish going through slap something together and ask how to strengthen or revamp.

Yeah, I should have explained myself better. I don't want you guys to do the work in my place, I want to get ideas outside the box, without preconceived notions. Just people throwing stuff out there... Then again, I'm probably too vague...

I like the idea of the two canons and a bunch of demigriffs, but would the artillery and monsters be my main assets or would they play a supportive role. If so, would they be better suited to support an Infantry build or a Cavalry build?

What about a steamtank? Does it have its place in a 2000 pts games? And if so, in what role?

Would a specialized army (all cav, magic heavy, all shooting, etc) be worth it in a small tournament?

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
if its a friendly tournie, try something different, a TGM with runefang or General on griffon for example.

re; last post,
guns are a tool to deal with things, no the main thrust of your strategy. monsters are support elements. knights and infantry are the units that get stuff done in an empire list.

al cav can be done in a small tournie as a lot of armies may struggle with the 1+ saves. you'll need to think of how you'll deal with steadfast though
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights