home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 417644 times)

Offline Mogsam

  • The Campaign Team
  • Posts: 5076
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8350 on: November 29, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »
Ulrun plants the crown upon his head!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8351 on: November 29, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »
Two of the ghosts attack Ulrun's illusionary clones.

[G3: 56, miss]
[G4: 21, hit. Illusion dispersed]

One of them lands a solid blow with its axe, which causes the image of Ulrun to vanish.

Another ghost is in combat with Julian.

[G2: 39, miss]

A fourth attacks Ragni.

[G1: 78, miss]

The last charges at Heinrich.

[G5: 31, hits head. S4+2+d6 roll of 1-T6-A2 = no wounds]

[end of round]

Admund continues to attack Ballomar.

[Admund1: 59, miss]
[A2: 79, miss]

Ballomar attacks back!

[Ballomar1(WS drained by 30) (vs Admund): 67, miss]
[B2: 45, miss]
[B3 (vs Heinrich): 18, hits right leg. S5+1+d6 roll of 5-T6-A1 = 4 wounds. Parry: 15, pass. Reduce by d6: 5. No damage]

Mortus completes her spell. [Steal Mind, -8MP] Her stomach lurches, and her vision blurs. For a moment, she feels connected to the dead mind of the wight king. In her mouth, the choking dust of ages. Her limbs cold, her heart empty.

[Ballomar WP test: 76, failed. Spell succeeds]

Then she knows the spell has worked. With a thought, she makes fog descend on the dead king's mind, before breaking her connection. The specter floats immobile in the air.

Rollie loads another sacred stone into his sling, and shoots it at the ghost attacking Ragni.

[Rollie, vs G1: 51, hits head. S3+3+d6 roll of 6! (add damage = no)-T4 = 8 wounds, doubled to 16. Destroyed!]

The stone hits the spirit in the head. The blast of light released destroys the ghost completely!

Heinrich attacks the immobile Ballomar.

[H1: autohit, for double damage. S4+1+d6 roll of 2 -T5-A2 = no damage]
[H2: S4+1+d6 roll of 1 -T5-A2 = no damage]
[H3: S4+1+d6 roll of 4 -T5-A2 = 2 wounds, doubled to 4. 10 WS drained]


Ulrun puts the crown on his head!

[WP test to use: 29, pass!]

It feels like a circlet of ice around his head. He shudders (his remaining illusionary clone disappears), and closes his eyes. When he reopens them a second later, everything has changed. The ghostly warriors have become living men, wild warriors with tattooed faces. Ballomar the king, though held fast by Mortus's spell also looks alive. He is a tall, powerful man with a thick beard, and armour of shining metal scales. There is no crown on the king's head now.

Ulrun's companions have become shadows, pallid figures from another world. Three of them are armed with weapons that burn with unquenchable fire. A fourth has stars in his hand.

Ulrun knows that the warriors will obey him. He also knows that he could return Ballomar to his tomb, or scatter the pale shadows and their weapons of flame. All of the howling power of this place is at his command.


Ragni's opponent has been destroyed, so he rushes over to intercept one of the one that had been fighting the illusions.

Julian continues to battle his opponent.

[Julian 1: 50, hits head. S3+1+d6 roll of 3-T4 = 3 wounds]
[J2: 29, hits left leg. S3+1+d6 roll of 4-T4 = 4 wounds]

Max says, "Mr Ulrun, I don't think you should put that on!" but it's too late. Even though there's no visible change in Ulrun, Max feels that the wizard has made a bad choice. He tries to knock the crown from Ulrun's head!

[Max to hit: 52, miss]

But doesn't manage it.


[It's the warriors turn now. Ulrun can command them, or allow them to keep attacking the party]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:12:39 PM by rufus sparkfire »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Mogsam

  • The Campaign Team
  • Posts: 5076
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8352 on: November 30, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »
Ulrun will dispel balomar!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8353 on: December 01, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »
Ulrun directs his will against Ballomar, trying to force him to return to his sleep. Since the wight king's mind is currently being suppressed by Mortus's spell, he is unable to offer any opposition. The crown flares up with cold blue light, drawing on Ulrun's magical reserves [-4MP]. Ballomar collapses back into smoke, which flows into the open sarcophagus and disappears into the skeleton. But as he invokes the power of the crown, Ulrun's perception of the scene around him changes further. Now he stands not in a burial chamber, but in a high wooden hall. His warriors fight against shadowy figures that have invaded his domain and seek to slay him.

The ghostly warriors fight on, following the last instructions they were given.

[Ghost2 (vs Julian): 04, hits left arm. S4+d6 roll of 2-T7-A3=no wounds]

[G3 (vs Ragni): 88, miss]

[G4 (attacks Max): 88! miss]

[G5 (vs Heinrich): 03, hits right arm. S4+d6 roll of 4-T6-A1 = 1 wound. Parry: yes, no damage]

[end of round]


Ulrun feels strongly that his rest has been disturbed. His warriors, his loyal retainers, fight now to drive out the intruders, but they are not strong enough. He knows he must lead them, must join the fight himself. He wears his fine armour, and the hilt of his heavy sword is already in his hand. The comforting weight of the crown on his head reminds him of his duty as king. Who are these invaders, who dare come into his very halls? The banners of his fathers hang on the walls beside the trophies of the fallen. Here is the high seat of kingship, the heart of the realm. The traitors must die, and afterwards he must ride out on his chariot and try the strength of his army against that of his foe.

Unbidden, the crown flares with blue light again. The ghostly warriors quicken, and become more solid.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

  • Posts: 7746
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8354 on: December 02, 2014, 01:02:37 AM »
Heinrich is relieved when Ballomar fades. The thing could take a beating! He was starting to think that even with magic weapons he would not be able to kill it, but Ulrun had somehow managed to use his magics to defeat him. Heinrich fully expected the other spectral warriors to be dispersed too, so he was barely able to react in time when one of them tried to take his arm off, deflecting the blow with his axe just before it connected. The warrior seemed somehow denser than it had before, more real. Heinrich glanced at Ulrun in concern. Why was he standing like that? Was he taller? The way he stood made him seem different. His posture was all wrong. No time for that, now. Heinrich snarls a curse as he directs his furor against the specter that attacked him.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Mogsam

  • The Campaign Team
  • Posts: 5076
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8355 on: December 02, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »
Ulrun moves to attack his fellows! How dare they intrude on his kingdom! He will sweep at them!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

  • Posts: 4867
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8356 on: December 03, 2014, 01:49:40 AM »
Admund is alarmed by Ulrun's behavior. "Heinrich..." Admund says, getting his friend's attention toward Ulrun.

Seeing the specters attacking the others, Admund will rush and defend Max. If Ulrun attacks, Admund will use his shield to parry blows from him or others and strike to stun.
Quote
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Finlay

  • Posts: 18635
  • C'mon Son
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8357 on: December 03, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
"It must be that crown, Anything flashing blue is probably bad news!

Julian attempts to wrestle the crown from ulrun's head.

if it is too dangerous to get close, he will also Strike to Stun

*doesnt heinrich have grapple? can we target ulrun's hand so he drops his sword?*
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline commandant

  • Posts: 7360
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8358 on: December 03, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
Mortus will run over and grab Ulrun.   SHe will cast sleep [pumped up with any magic points she has left]

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8359 on: December 03, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »
Admund rushes to intercept the ghost attacking Max, judging that to be the most immediate danger.

[Admund1: 36, hits body. S4+1+1+d6 roll of 4-T5 = 5 wounds]
[A2: 58, hits right leg. S4+1+1+d6 roll of 2-T5 = 3 wounds]

He lands two solid blows on the energised spirit. As he fights, he keeps watch on Ulrun, ready to move when he can.

Mortus charges at Ulrun, ready to cast sleep if she can catch hold of him.

[Mortus to hit: 21, hits head. Casts sleep! [-2MP, and -5MP to enhance the spell]. Ulrun WP test (5MP points spent to increase WP): 96! Fail. Asleep for d6 rounds (secret)]

Mortus grabs hold of Ulrun around the neck with one hand, pressing the other hand to his face. He growls with rage, raising his sword to strike her down. As he does, she casts her spell: she pours additional energy into it, and Ulrun - instinctively - draws on his own power to resist. But it's too much for him! His eyes close, and he crumples unconscious to the ground. He falls onto Mortus, knocking her down and landing on top of her.

Rollie slings another sacred stone at the ghost attacking Ragni.

[Rollie: 17, hits body. S3+3+D6 roll of 5-T5 = 6 wounds, doubled to 12]

Once again the magical stone causes tremendous damage.

Heinrich focuses on the ghost attacking him, trying to deal with it as swiftly as he can.

[Heinrich1: 07, hits body. S4+1+d6 roll of 2-T5 = 2 wounds. 10 WS drained]
[H2: 92, miss]
[H3: 70, hits head. S4+1+d6 roll of 3-T5 = 3 wounds. 10 WS drained]

He injures it, but not seriously.

The ghost warriors are moving faster than before!

[Ghost2 (vs Julian): 76, miss]

[G3 (vs Ragni): 87, miss]

[G4 (vs Admund): 13, hits right arm. S5+d6 roll of 4-T4-A2= 3 wounds. Dodge blow: 91, failed. Parry: 18, pass. Reduced by d6 wounds: 4. No damage.]

[G5 (vs Heinrich): 83, miss]

Ragni can only fight defensively against his opponent.

Julian decides to break away from his opponent and rush at Ulrun. The ghost warrior strikes at him as he moves.

[G2 free attack: 02, hits right arm. S5+d6 roll of 6! (Add damage = yes)+4-T7-A3: 5 wounds. Dodge blow: 27, pass. No damage]

Julian, with un-dwarfish swiftness, leaps out of the way of a scything blow. He spins around, and hurtles towards Ulrun. On seeing that he has collapsed on top of Mortus, apparently unconscious, he ducks down and grabs the crown with his left hand.

[Julian WP test: 46, pass]

The moment he touches the crown, vague images of a distant past flicker across his eyes. He stubbornly ignores them, since they can't possibly be real. He takes the crown from Ulrun's head.

Max, who was about to do the same thing, says," Mr Julian! Destroy it!"
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

  • Posts: 18635
  • C'mon Son
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8360 on: December 03, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »
Julian throws the crown on the ground, and strikes it with barrakul.

"Grungni take you!" he shouts.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8361 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
Julian hits the crown as hard as he can.

[Julian S test: 20, pass]

The runesword smashes through the silver crown, shattering the largest of its black stones. A wave of released power knocks Julian over. Immediately afterward, the ghostly warriors dissolve into smoke, which flows back to their tombs.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

  • Posts: 7360
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8362 on: December 03, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
Mortus feels Ulrun go limp as darkness closes in around her.   She coughs for breath, her chest contracting desperately and then her world goes black.

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8363 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
Max moves quickly to check on Mortus and Ulrun. He realises that Ulrun is simply asleep, and tries to lift him off Mortus. Of course, he's unable to move him at all. Ragni helps, and soon Max is able to examine Mortus too. "I don't think she's hurt," he says, "she might have been overwhelmed by the spell she used. Hopefully she'll wake up soon."

Ragni nudges the broken crown with his foot. "Shoddy human work," he says, "no match for your dwarf sword, boss!"

Rollie darts around the room collecting the sacred stones that he used as missiles, carefully stowing them away in his bag. He picks up the remains of the crown. "I think this should go back in the tomb," he says, clambering up the sarcophagus to replace it. "I'd still like to try the invocation of Morr, so we can be sure Ballomar stays where he is! I was intending to destroy the body also. But now I'm not so sure. That crown seems to have been a big part of the problem, and that's broken."

"I'm worried that burning the remains would be a desecration that would cause more trouble," Max says, "if we ask Morr's blessing, and then perhaps if Mr Julian fixes the broken sarcophagus, that should be enough. Oh, and we'll need to close up the tomb and fill in the tunnel, too."

Rollie nods. "And now that I've got the sacred stones back, I'll be able to defend my village if he does return on Geheimnisnacht. Let's do this then."

Rollie pours the rest of his blessed oil onto Ballomar's skeleton, and sets various small talismans around it. He draws holy symbols in chalk on the inside and outside of the stone casket, and leads the group in a prayer to Morr. He follows this with a quiet prayer to the halfling gods, touching the sacred stones to the corners of the casket. The broken lid is replaced. Julian can fix the damage with no trouble.

Admund has a strong feeling that things have been set right. The mark of Morr on his hand is tingling.


Ulrun and Mortus both wake up before too long. They feel tired and disoriented, but have not been harmed by their experiences.


"I'd like to thank you all," Rollie says solemnly. "without your help, I might not even have been able to get inside the tomb. And if I had, well, I couldn't have fought Ballomar. I had no idea that he'd be active. But thanks to you, I've been able to avenge my brother and reclaim the sacred stones."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:40:01 PM by rufus sparkfire »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

  • Posts: 4867
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8364 on: December 06, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
"He's at rest now, Rollie." Admund says, sheathing his sword with a loud schk. Feeling the tingling in his hand, he pauses in the middle of the room to examine his palm, thinking his hand caught a knock from a blade. He stares at the symbol of Morr in the orange flickering light thrown from the torches.

He helps Rollie replace the sarcophagus lid and collect his stones. When Ulrun stirs, Admund sits on his haunches next to professor and offers him a swig from his water skin. "You alright, man?" He will smack him on the cheek with an open palm stir him awake.

Quote
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8365 on: December 07, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
Outside the barrow, the sun is shining down. The area is no longer silent - birds and insect calls fill the air, and a group of squirrels are investigating the party's camp site for signs of food.

Ulrun, thinking back over his experience with the crown, is unsure if the spirit of Ballomar was actively malicious, or if it was just re-enacting the battles it fought in life. But in either case, it needed to be stopped.

It takes a few hours to fill in the tunnel they dug into the tomb. Once that's finished, Rollie cooks an excellent meal for everyone.

"I can't thank you all enough," he says again. "I'll be returning to my village as soon as possible, to return the stones and tell everyone the wonderful news. You'd be very welcome to come with me! But, it's probably out of your way."
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

  • Posts: 7360
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8366 on: December 07, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
Mortus takes her portion of the meal and digs into to as if she hadn't eaten in a month.   She looks tired and wan.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

  • Posts: 4867
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8367 on: December 09, 2014, 03:01:58 AM »
"Where's your village, Rollie?" Licking a bit of sauce from his finger. "We're headed for Marienburg. Is your village along the way on the Old North Road?"
Quote
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8368 on: December 09, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »
"Baersteine, my village, is about twenty miles from here," Rollie says, "at the other end of the ridgeway. So you'd be moving further away from the Marienburg road. There's a road from Baersteine that goes to Bokel though, which is back on your road. So you'd end up back on track, after doing two sides of a triangle. You'd find a good welcome in my village! But going back to the main road will get you to Marienburg faster."
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

  • Posts: 7746
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8369 on: December 09, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »
"Our mission requires that we reach Marienburg as quickly as possible. I'm sorry we won't be able to visit your village. I think they have a more than worthy defender, though."
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8370 on: December 10, 2014, 04:50:08 PM »
"I understand," Rollie says, "thank you for diverting from your journey to help me! I'll make sure everyone in Baersteine hears about all of you, and what you've done for them. If you find yourselves nearby when you have more time, you should drop in!"

"Aye, we'll do that, lad," Ragni says, "and tell your people if they ever need any building work done, they should send to Middenheim for Stonebridge Associates!"

Rollie laughs, and nods.

"It's getting a bit late to start out today," Max says, "I think we should stay the night, and set off tomorrow."
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

  • Posts: 7360
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8371 on: December 12, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
Mortus will sleep by the fire.   She is really tired though she does draw her dagger and sleep with the blade pressed against her.

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8372 on: December 12, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
The night passes peacefully. The sky is clear, revealing the full glory of the stars.

Admund dreams that he is lying in a peaceful field under a benevolent sun: a raven lands beside him, hopping over and tapping him with its beak. As it flies away, the dream dissolves into another one. Now he is standing in a Marienburg street at night, outside a shop with shuttered windows and barking dogs within. A sign above the door reads, "Sybo's Mystic Emporium." Three hooded men approach the shop, two of them carrying between them a long wooden crate. A watch patrol stop them: some money changes hands, and the watch patrol walk away. The hooded men carry the crate into the shop's yard, where it is received by a hunched, also-hooded man. Admund has a glimpse of this man's face - withered, the skin flaking horribly. But his eyes burn with feverish intensity. On the rooftop, a raven caws. This dream too dissolves, replaced by a surreal episode involving talking fruit.

In the morning, the Marienburg dream is still fresh in Admund's mind.

[it is now Festag the 12th of Vorgeheim]

The group have breakfast before breaking camp and returning to the ridgeway. Here they say goodbye to Rollie, and the halfling (after shaking hands with everyone and thanking them again for their help) sets off for his home. The group return along the ridgeway towards the main road, passing the ancient barrows and cryptic monuments of those far-off people from the time before Sigmar.

After some hours they reach the cave where they found Rollie's message, and beyond that the Marienburg road. By evening the party have reached another coaching inn. This one is unusual in that its structure incorporates the ruins of an ancient castle. A low, round keep of weathered stone forms the main accommodation area of the inn, with an extension housing the bar room, kitchens and other areas adjoining it. The curtain wall surrounding the courtyard is of new construction. The inn's sign proclaims it to be 'The Castle Inn.'

A poster that has been newly nailed to the gatepost reads thus:

PEOPLE of THE EMPIRE!
Do not fear the IRON HAND of the LORDS
The FEW will be overwhelmed by the MANY!
The NEW MILLENNIUM is coming! The AGE OF THE PEOPLE!


Inside, the inn is clean and welcoming. In the bar, the low ceiling beams are hung with pewter tankards, and the flagstone floor undulates smoothly. Small, secluded alcoves around the edges of the room contain private tables. Games of various sorts - Kraken's Beak, Invader, Round the Walls of Averheim, and others - are piled up on a table in one corner, for the patrons to use. A chalk board by the bar proclaims 'Cider Festival!' Behind the bar are dozens of different casks.

There are five groups of people here: four roadwardens at one table, six coachmen at another,  and three groups of travelers.

When the party enter, the barman - a short, bald man wearing a traditional Drakwald fur waistcoat despite the warm evening - greets them cheerfully. "Welcome to the Castle Inn!" he says, "we have twenty-five different ciders on tap. Or there're other drinks if you prefer!"

As Max orders drinks for the group, the barman engages him in conversation. "So, young sir, where are you and your friends headed? To Middenheim? If so, you've missed the carnival already."

"Actually, we came from Middenheim, sir," Max says, "we were there for the carnival. Now we're on our way to Marienburg."

"Ah, the city of pirates! Watch your purse while you're there. The merchants and the tax men rob you to your face, and the thieves take what's left once your back is turned. Well, you can be in Bokel tomorrow, if you make good time on the road. Then you'll be about half way through your journey. Be sure you keep a good watch out though - word is there's some beast on the loose near Bokel. Nobody's seen it clearly, but it's caused a bit of a scare. "
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

  • Posts: 4867
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8373 on: December 12, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
Admund awakes and sits up with a start. He instinctively grabs his dagger and swats at the dreamed raven. Panting heavily he rubs his eyes trying ti discern reality from imaginary. He glances around at the others sleeping on their bedrolls quietly, processing what he's dreamed. He says a brief prayer to Morr and Sigmar before laying back on his bedroll. He lets out a ragged breath and tries to fall back asleep.

***

Admund hops off bench of his cart and stretches his stiff back. He leads the horses the stable and pays the stableboy to groom and feed the horses for the night. He rushes to join up with the others heading inside.

Entering the Inn, he lests out a soft whistle. "Now this is my kind of inn." Admund says with a smirk. Admund gets a table with the others and sits and stretches out his legs. He thanks Max for the first round. "Keep the cider coming for us." Admund says sliding some coins to the barman.

"Tell me more about this beast, barkeep. We've been hearing about it all along the road. What do you know?"
Quote
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 33358
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #8374 on: December 13, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »
"No one's really sure what it is, sir," the barman tells Admund, "like I said, no one's seen it properly. It's trampled fences and taken a lot of goats. People have heard its bloodcurdling cries in the night, and there's a man who swears it chased him for three miles!" The barman leans forward, obviously enjoying the chance to talk about a monster. "I heard this story from a traveller who passed through here a few days ago, and they got it from the wife of a man who knows the man it happened to! He was out checking his traps, just after dawn, when he heard something crashing through the trees behind him. Like a swarm of bees, he said, and a herd of stampeding cows at the same time. He started running straight off, fast as he could. Barely dared to glance over his shoulder - and when he did, he saw mad eyes, and a massive nightmare of a mouth! Ran and ran till he thought his heart would burst and his legs wear out. He had the beast's hot breath on his back all the way, but he kept on going. At last, he got to the shrine of Taal, not far from Bokel, and that's where the thing gave up.

"Now, some people said it was probably just a big bear - lots of bears about, as you know. I reckon it was one of those giant spiders, big as a house! But whatever it is, the people of Bokel want it dealt with. There's a reward."
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.