home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 201649 times)

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #525 on: October 11, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
Ready for the Gates of Kursk... I mean Kislev  :-P
cheers,
Lee

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #526 on: October 11, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
Ready for the Gates of Kursk... I mean Kislev  :-P

hehehe.. yes, almost Kursk!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #527 on: October 11, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
Out of curiosity - I presume that you'll try and paint most of them, as true to canon? So we'll see Deliverance from Nuln, for example?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #528 on: October 11, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »
I love every bit of it. what you have done is my kind of gaming, would love to visit with you, or be visited by you it seems or tastes are very much in common.  steveb

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #529 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:38 PM »
Panzer battalion! I see that you're using and aerograph. The effects are great!

Yes, they are. The airbrush is very useful for very concrete paintjobs, but not to paint all the model. For example, in these tanks I only used it for the grey metallic walls. Golden/brown parts are made with brush. Mainly, I use the airbrush for large parts of models (i.e. horse fences, tanks, scenery, monsters, etc) or first layer for many models (i.e. flesh on a unit of 40 spearmen). The airbrush is fast to use, but very cumbersome to prepare, clean, changing color...

Out of curiosity - I presume that you'll try and paint most of them, as true to canon? So we'll see Deliverance from Nuln, for example?

Your love for Nuln is trully impessive, Xath  :icon_biggrin: I know it from the heraldic book of the Empire and I have a picture of it in my computer. Sincerely, I planned to paint all the symbols of my steam tanks from Ostermark (except one, that will carry a priest of Sigmar), but I can reconsider it... :icon_wink: Yes, seeing its colour combination would be easy to paint as Deliverance for the battle.

I love every bit of it. what you have done is my kind of gaming, would love to visit with you, or be visited by you it seems or tastes are very much in common.  steveb

Would be a pleasure Steveb. But I live in Barcelona and I think you are in USA, if I'm not wrong. I have no plans in a near future to visit your country, but if you ever travel here someday I'll be glad to invite you, take some drinks and discuss about the hobby.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:35:28 AM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #530 on: October 12, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »
Nuln stands! Thank you Rogers. :smile2: Yes, I love that industrial city with a passion, not only because of its army's awesome color scheme, love for guns, heavy firepower and a cosmopolitan approach. No, it's mainly due to the fact that some of my best RPG experience is from running games in the Jewel of the South. :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #531 on: October 12, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »
The gold on the tanks is really great, how did you achieve that effect?

I am planning to start my own mechanized regiment soon, so great to get some inspiration
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #532 on: October 15, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »
Have you considered using Warlord games landsknechts for Empire state state troop regiments?
It would be cool to see these dudes converted, and they're also seem to be a bit cheaper than your usual state troops.
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #533 on: October 15, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
The gold on the tanks is really great, how did you achieve that effect?

I am planning to start my own mechanized regiment soon, so great to get some inspiration

Sorry Illumini, two hard days on job... this gold is the result of various layers. The base is a mixture with Hashut Cooper and XV-88, but I will try with Gehenna Gold+Balor Brown. Then, some layers of Rhinox Hide with a lot of water. Finally, some reflections with Pallid Wych Flesh.

Have you considered using Warlord games landsknechts for Empire state state troop regiments?
It would be cool to see these dudes converted, and they're also seem to be a bit cheaper than your usual state troops.

Sincerely, I never consider that. Two main reasons:
1) We like to use some models from other manufacturers (we have Rackham, Mom, Avatars of War, Mierce, Forge World, Scibor...) but we're mainly using Citadel because we think their have the best range of models and they have plenty of uniformity between them. I'm sure you'll undersand to represent a battle in the Warhammer World, is suitable to use major models from that world, and state troops from Citadel are so characteristic and so numerous that is difficult to see a battle without them.
2) Second reason goes with echonomic matters. Is cheaper to buy second hand Citadel models than buying models from Warlord games. Many people have empire regular models and second hand markets are full of them. So, I use that way.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #534 on: October 20, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »
I'm really angry with my pictures... photography is not my strongest suit. And this is very frustrating  :eusa_wall:
Anymay, here you have the Altdorf army for the battle:

Note there is only strictly state troops from Altdorf. No cavalry, no militia, no flagellants, no wizards... this is why it seems a little bit small.

I painted some months ago most of them, war machines some weeks ago, and then, both characters and the Steam Tank. And finally, I painted the banners. I specially focus my attention on them because I understand them as a very important part of any army, not only at a visual level but also regarding barckground and personality.

So, here a little explanation about them:

This combination of elements in the banners deserves an explanation. Obviously the first thing to note are the colors of the city in the bottom: blue and red. After looking for information about the usual elements in the banners and shields of Aldorf, I found that most of them reflect elements of the current era of Warhammer, that is, C2525. As you know, at this time the emperor is Karl Franz, born in Altdorf, and this circumstance is clearly reflected on many signs of this city.

But at the time of Magnus, Altdorf was not the capital of the Empire, and there was not an emperor unanimously recognized by all the provinces. Thus the elements relating to the power of the emperor (the crown, the two-tailed comet) or other symbols of power associated with the great emperors (Sigmar's hammer, or Magnus' gryphon, for obvious reasons), made no sense on an altdorf banner. Instead, there were two elements that also appeared and that could be used: the skull and the laurel crown. The first one does not refer to the soldiers as the bearers of death, as it could believe, but represents the perishable human condition: human life inevitably ends with death; to carry a skull as a symbol in the battle is a demonstration that they bearers are not afraid to face the death; its bearers, therefore, will fight until the end of their forces in the battle. On the other hand, the laurel crown is reserved for those people or cities who have carried out acts of value on the battlefield. Thus, these two elements evoke courage and determination and could apply to our standards.

You can see some letters and numbers in the upper left of the banners. Letters are the acronym for unit type. But not in English, fools! in reikspiel! (that is, in German). So:

· MS: Musketenschützen
· ST: Staatstruppen

On the other side of the banner, to better distinguish between units, I decided to incorporate a shield or icon with the type of weapons of each unit, as well as the type of troop with the unabbreviated name.

Finally, it should be noted that at the top of the banners is also an element that reflects the type of unit (shooting or close combat): arrows for firing units, skull or other symbols for close combat units.

You can find a little step to step tutorial on the blog, if you are interested: http://thegatesofkislev.blogspot.com.es/2017/10/la-hueste-de-altdorf-altdorf-host.html

Any suggestion will be appreciated, seriously. Soon I will paint Ostermark banners I want to make them better. Any picture o idea will be welcome.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:44:40 AM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #535 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
 :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: wow
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #536 on: October 21, 2017, 08:13:33 AM »
Fantastic looking army, the banners are great!

Digging the old school tank commander in the new steam tank
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline stareso

• Members
« Reply #537 on: October 21, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
Amazing banners, really beautiful. Very cool how you used such a strong connection to the background. The army as a whole looks stunning, my sincerest complements.  :happy:

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #538 on: October 21, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »
Wonderful army with a spectacular center piece in the form of that Steam Tank!  :ph34r:
cheers,
Lee

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #539 on: October 21, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
Thank you colleagues. I wish I can show the rest of steam tanks in few days.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #540 on: October 22, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »
Excellent Altdorf army, and love the explanation for the banners. :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #541 on: October 22, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »
A is for Altdorf. And, done! Keep on trucking, looking forward to the Ostland banners. Something you might want to consider when going to the less advanced parts of the Empire is less organization, e.g. less numbering and categorizing on the standards. Instead the regiments could be named after their leader or the location they are from. Just a thought, you'll come up with something good, I am sure.

The skulls on the banner are outstanding. And I really like the lettering, the fine double lines sell it. The only part I am not in love with is the torch on the leader. I mean, okay, it doesn't always have to be a mighty magic sword, sometimes less is more, maybe a staff of command would fit. But, a torch? There better be a great, colorful backstory to explain that away. I am listening  :icon_wink:
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #542 on: October 23, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »
Incredible colors, wonderful shades of blue and red. I love this friggin' army. :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #543 on: October 24, 2017, 01:51:22 AM »
Agreed! It really captures the feel of an old-time Empire army. Takes me back.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #544 on: October 24, 2017, 02:16:43 AM »
that tank commander is one of my favorite figures  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #545 on: October 24, 2017, 02:25:13 AM »
oh my I have missed quite a bit, well done.  :happy:
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #546 on: October 24, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
A is for Altdorf. And, done! Keep on trucking, looking forward to the Ostland banners. Something you might want to consider when going to the less advanced parts of the Empire is less organization, e.g. less numbering and categorizing on the standards. Instead the regiments could be named after their leader or the location they are from. Just a thought, you'll come up with something good, I am sure.

There will be no Ostland contingent Naitsabes. According to background, its army was completely destroyed at the beginning of the war, a year or two ago before our battle. It's a pity, becuse I like their colours.
Regarding organization you're right. Altdorf is quite different from other provences on these matters. Ostermark will follow the same pattern, but if my colleagues let me paint their banners I will include other ideas, as you suggest.

The skulls on the banner are outstanding. And I really like the lettering, the fine double lines sell it. The only part I am not in love with is the torch on the leader. I mean, okay, it doesn't always have to be a mighty magic sword, sometimes less is more, maybe a staff of command would fit. But, a torch? There better be a great, colorful backstory to explain that away. I am listening  :icon_wink:

Well, the first answer is: because I like it.
Second answer: Bran Stark is whispering him "burn them all..."
More serious answer is: In a war against the ruinous powers and heretic hordes, best way to destroy them is to burn them. Some other charaters wil also carry a torch for the same reason. That character was not a commander or burgmaester, just only a devouted captain following the indications of some witch hunters.
Better now?  :icon_wink:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #547 on: October 25, 2017, 03:22:40 AM »
A bit better   :closed-eyes:

Carry on!
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #548 on: October 25, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »
Great job :::cheers:::

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #549 on: October 30, 2017, 01:15:46 AM »
I finally finished the rest of steam tanks: from Talabheim, Nuln, Ostermark, Stirland and the Cult of Sigmar!

This one is for Xathrodox:

As always, if you want to see more pictures in detaisl, you can visit our blog.