home

Author Topic: Rumors, and what's Up with Beastgrave, too!  (Read 4045 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Rumors, and what's Up with Beastgrave, too!
« on: September 28, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »
Was on the Gamesworkshop site last week and saw Beastgrave being prominently advertised.

Looks like a skirmish game of some kind :icon_question:

And is it Beastmen vs. Beastmen :icon_question:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:07:36 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: What's Up With Beastgrave?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 11:49:24 PM »
It's the next 'season" of warhammer Underworlds. So the first was Shadespire, then Nightvault, now Beastgrave. All the same base rules, but with some added stuff. Like an expansion. If Warcry is more like Necromunda, your building your tribe and fighting for power, then Underworlds is more like gladiator meets blood bowl. You have your team that's relatively unchanging, and you beat the snot out of each other.

It's Beastmen vs nature spirit infused elves. Those Kurnoth guys are more of a mix of elves and sylvaneth nature spirits. The wild, hunting ones in particular.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
Has there been an "update" to gorechosen?
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 02:18:18 PM »
It's the next 'season" of warhammer Underworlds. So the first was Shadespire, then Nightvault, now Beastgrave. All the same base rules, but with some added stuff. Like an expansion. If Warcry is more like Necromunda, your building your tribe and fighting for power, then Underworlds is more like gladiator meets blood bowl. You have your team that's relatively unchanging, and you beat the snot out of each other.
Ah, good to learn! I'm not familiar with Nightvault and Shadespire, yet with these being like small combat oriented games similar to gladiatorial contests, it isn't increasing my interest.  Like the miniatures I've seen for Beastgrave though!

It's Beastmen vs nature spirit infused elves. Those Kurnoth guys are more of a mix of elves and sylvaneth nature spirits. The wild, hunting ones in particular.
So Beastmen vs. "Wood Elfs". :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 02:19:20 PM »
Has there been an "update" to gorechosen?
Is this another name for one of these gladiatorial contest like games?

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »
Yeah, but my post is repeated. Must have drank too much last night :D

I was talking to some friends, and GW tends to release this games and do 1 or 2 updates and let it die. Then release something similar in 40k/AoS and so on. I dont keep up to date with all the news, so this was my impression. recently I just buy the one that have nice minis, since I barely play.

Gorechosen was a quick and easy game, so would have love to have updates. Maybe I can find a community that creates characters sheets, etc.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 02:45:04 PM »
I'm pretty positive that gorechosen was the test bed for either Underworlds or Warcry. It's very similar to both mechanically, but more focussed on just one guy. But I seem to remember it being billed as a stand alone board game when it first game out, so I don't think they had much intention of expanding on it.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:57 PM »
They recently did a 40k Conquest board game using pretty much the same rules as Gorechosen.  It's one of a number of small board games only available in the US, at Barnes & Noble and not in GW stores

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 10:03:33 PM »
Beastgrave is the 3rd season for Warhammer Underworlds, it's an arena skirmish/card game.  There's a lot of deck building and card choosing involved, as well as it's special dice.  It's a good game, but I find the number of cards to choose from a lot.  Unless you play a lot, and know a lot of the cards, it can take hours to go through them all and pick.  I think season 3 has changed the deck rules a little so you're more limited in generic cards, and need to have a minimum from the warband deck.  That I think will suit me with less decision making

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 01:00:27 AM »
How's the size of the figures compared to more recent Beastmen offerings :icon_question:

And I don't mean their sacrifices to their Gods. :icon_wink:

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
How's the size of the figures compared to more recent Beastmen offerings :icon_question:

And I don't mean their sacrifices to their Gods. :icon_wink:

It's actually regularly sized Beastmen versus "wild elves", some kind of elves transformed by the forces of the Wind of Life. I like the miniatures, that elf centaur is neat.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 11:52:08 AM »
I'm contemplating purchasing it for the figures, although it doesn't sound like a game I'd spend much time playing.  Haven't purchased any GW figures post them ditching the Olde World, and these are the first ones I'm interested in having.  Although I take that back, there was a picture of three goblins on wolves that I liked.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »
I think the figures would fit any WHFB idea perfectly. Some nice Wild Elves or weird good Beastmen (as impossible as this may be).

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 03:18:56 AM »
I converted most of the beastmen units to fit my nurgle beastmen army. I don't know what to do with the Orion guys.
Its a decent starter set. You get the two forces and everything else needed to start playing

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 08:28:32 PM »
Just picked this box up today at a local hobby store ...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/WHU-Rippas-Snarlfangs-EN-2019

I'm not playing Beastgrave currently, and instead just wanted the gobos on the wolves! :icon_mrgreen:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »
By the way, this local store I went into for the first time since before the public health issue started, they were only charging $33 for the box of Beastgrave goblins on wolves, instead of the $38 being charged by GW.

That was good! :icon_biggrin:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: What's Up With Beastgrave? Rumors, and New Stuff too!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 05:49:31 PM »
Turning this topic into a sticky.

However, these do seem to be associated with the Warhammer Underworlds.  Does anyone know if the rules are the same :icon_question:

I'm catching that the starter box is different, and I still haven't picked one of these up yet, and probably should because I like the wood elf vibe to infantry and the centaur as well, plus the beastmen look awesome too!

By the way, seems the price of the add on war bands came down from their original $38 to the $33 that a local hobby store has been using for at least the last year.  I had picked up a Rippa's Snarlfangs last summer, and interested in picking up the Hrothgorn's Mantrappers next.  I have thought about the latter for a good bit, and almost did yesterday, but I'd already purchased over $200 of new hobby stuff, and held off on the Ogre and his friends again for the moment.  The Grymwatch Ghouls are also tempting, although the bat figure looks a bit odd, but maybe that is just the paint job on it.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 07:22:12 PM »
Rules are almost exactly the same. Underworlds is the game and Beastgrave is the expansion, or second season if that makes sense. So it adds some new rules and warbands, but its still Underworlds.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 08:11:10 PM »
Excellent.  Well that does it for me, I'm leaning very, very strongly towards getting the Beastgrave starter set at $75.  Seems like a good buy, I like the miniatures better than Underworld, although not thrilled with the game boards, yet at least it looks like four of those.  Seems like a decent deal, and next trip out to a hobby store will likely be to pick up a copy. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 01:16:33 AM »
Purchased Beastgrave at $75, and the Hrothgorn's Mabntrappers set.  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol:

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 06:13:13 AM »
Seems like a good buy, I like the miniatures better than Underworld, although not thrilled with the game boards, yet at least it looks like four of those.

Technically they're all Warhammer Underworlds. Beastgrave did have some nice models, but after buying both Shadespire and Nightvault yet barely playing them, I couldn't justify it.

I've heard good things about the Beastgrave novel, too, but while it's on my shelf, I haven't read it. Supposedly it makes some mentions of the fate of Kurnous/Kurnoth in AOS, but again, I'll have to see for myself.

Alex
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive