home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 541055 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #2100 on: November 05, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
The belief that there is not a deity is a tenet for which there is no proof. In order to believe there is no deity without proof that there is no deity you require faith that there is not one.

I meant that you can disbelieve in god without having to believe that there isn't a god. It's not quite the same thing.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2101 on: November 05, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »
Okay, let me get this straight: being offended that harassing gays based on religion is all right in a western society equals "Shariah Lover"?
I'm still confused by that statement. Nobody said it was alright. The Westboro people hide behind their freedom of speech, and use religion as their excuse. It's my right to say I hate welsh people because they're dirty, ugly, dimwitted, and I read in a book once that they used to fight with no clothes on. I can say that all I want. Hell, I can tattoo a swastika on my forehead and carry a sign around all day saying "God hates Jews".

The westboro idiots very carefully do not cross that super thin line between free speech, and threatening speech or harrassment. They always adhere to demonstation laws when they pickett funerals, however distasteful that is. When they are restricted from doing what they want, they do not cross barricades or assault policemen like those idiot greenpeace or code pink lunatics or the few "Occupy wherever" demonstrators who have gotten themselves arrested. That is why they continue to be allowed to do what they do. Because even though their speech is hateful, it is not directly threatening, and even though their demonstrations are despicable, they are lawful.

It is a thin line between suppressing hate speech, and suppressing all speech, and I would rather the Westboro people be allowed to say what they want, than to risk restrictions on other demonstrators.

I have never been on the Tea Party bandwagon, and I am not a supporter of the "Occupy" movement (or the "complain-cationers"). I support their right to peacably assemble, and I have been very glad to see that all of these groups have been allowed to legally assemble and air their grievances.

Of course, I couldn't participate in the Occupy rallies if I wanted to, because I have a job.  :engel:
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2102 on: November 05, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »
The belief that there is not a deity is a tenet for which there is no proof. In order to believe there is no deity without proof that there is no deity you require faith that there is not one.

I meant that you can disbelieve in god without having to believe that there isn't a god. It's not quite the same thing.

Could you expand your concept for me? Because I'm not sure I completely grasp what you are trying to say.  For serious. :mellow:

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2103 on: November 05, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »
Okay, let me get this straight: being offended that harassing gays based on religion is all right in a western society equals "Shariah Lover"?

What?

Unless you actually wrote the US is all wrong/to blame/etc. and kept silent about all religions, then it is not the app that is flawed.

My hood is my castle...

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2104 on: November 05, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
@ Cannon: I hadn't commented on the thread so far, but this is what people in here were talking about and seemed to be offended by ("all right"=lawful in my post). I was just pointing out that Shadowlord barging in and completely apropos of nothing starting his Sharia thing again was ridiculous, that's all.

Unless you actually wrote the US is all wrong/to blame/etc. and kept silent about all religions, then it is not the app that is flawed.

It is possible to discuss one wrong without including ALL wrongs in the discussion. And it's completely legitimate too! If people want to talk about a certain brand of Christianity who are acting like a bunch of dicks they do not need to temper their opinions by also talking about Islam, as much as it may offend you that not everything is a discussion about Islam.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2105 on: November 05, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »
It is possible to discuss one wrong without including ALL wrongs in the discussion. And it's completely legitimate too! If people want to talk about a certain brand of Christianity who are acting like a bunch of dicks they do not need to temper their opinions by also talking about Islam, as much as it may offend you that not everything is a discussion about Islam.

Or vice versa no?

I often find it hilarious that people rip their balls off to address the wrongs of the pedos in the church, the gay haters, the abortion clinic attackers, and when you mention this is not just in the Christian faith but also in most faiths, you get two big eyes and a finger on your lips. And no it is not about just about Islam but the tone is always the same. Had I started a thread how the ME is medieval because of the dominant religion or how Jews can be so prolific, your sirens would blow all over the internet in a storm of political correctness (you in this is not you as a person but as a folk feast).

And it is not just religion - it is also ideals in that banana.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2106 on: November 05, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »
@ Cannon: I hadn't commented on the thread so far, but this is what people in here were talking about and seemed to be offended by ("all right"=lawful in my post). I was just pointing out that Shadowlord barging in and completely apropos of nothing starting his Sharia thing again was ridiculous, that's all.

Ah. He has been super troll happy of late. I worry for him. Makes me want to just hug the anger out of him. I think the problem is that quite a few of us have gotten less trolly (I'm sorry, I know I'm letting everyone down, I just don't want to be as much of an @hole anymore). I understand what he's saying though.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2107 on: November 05, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
I often find it hilarious that people rip their balls off to address the wrongs of the pedos in the church, the gay haters, the abortion clinic attackers, and when you mention this is not just in the Christian faith but also in most faiths, you get two big eyes and a finger on your lips.

Okay, shall we just say that you have a unique way of "mentioning" such things then?

Complaining about US religious connection while shutting the fuck up about more and more implemented Sharia retardness in their own countries is a healthy proof of blatant ignorance.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2108 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
Ah. He has been super troll happy of late.

If you refer to my EC posts, then yes but otherwise I call disagreeing, disagreeing, not trolling.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2109 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:44 AM »
Ah. He has been super troll happy of late.

If you refer to my EC posts, then yes but otherwise I call disagreeing, disagreeing, not trolling.

:::cheers:::  :happy:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2110 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »

Could you expand your concept for me? Because I'm not sure I completely grasp what you are trying to say.  For serious. :mellow:

I meant that there is a difference between actively believing that something does or does not exist, and passively disbelieving in it.

Most people (I assume) don't believe in werewolves, but they don't find it necessary to actively believe they don't exist. They just aren't interested in the idea.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2111 on: November 05, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
Okay, shall we just say that you have a unique way of "mentioning" such things then?

I knew we would come to an understanding at last - the hateful capitalist and the PC communist.

:icon_twisted:
My hood is my castle...

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2112 on: November 05, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »

I meant that there is a difference between actively believing that something does or does not exist, and passively disbelieving in it.

Most people (I assume) don't believe in werewolves, but they don't find it necessary to actively believe they don't exist. They just aren't interested in the idea.
All right, I understand what you are saying. If I ask you: "Do you believe that there is a god?" Would you have an answer? A yes or no answer to that question involves faith, irrespective of how often you think about it. An example in someone else's (paraphrased) example: Schroedinger's Cat. Put a cat in a box, pump the box full of gas that has a 50/50 chance of killing that cat. Until you open the box and observe whether or not the cat is dead or alive, then it is conceptually neither alive or dead, or both alive and dead. It exists in two states because neither state has been observed, and both states are 100% possible. Until you open the box and observe whether the cat is dead or alive, the opinion you have on whether or not the cat is dead is a faith based belief.  Whether you actively believe the cat to be dead, or passively disbelieve that the cat is dead makes no difference in whether or not that belief requires faith. That's all I was saying. The only state that requires no faith is a state of absolute non inquiry, which seems impossible for a living human.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #2113 on: November 05, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »

Or vice versa no?

I often find it hilarious that people rip their balls off to address the wrongs of the pedos in the church, the gay haters, the abortion clinic attackers, and when you mention this is not just in the Christian faith but also in most faiths, you get two big eyes and a finger on your lips. And no it is not about just about Islam but the tone is always the same. Had I started a thread how the ME is medieval because of the dominant religion or how Jews can be so prolific, your sirens would blow all over the internet in a storm of political correctness (you in this is not you as a person but as a folk feast).

And it is not just religion - it is also ideals in that banana.

I think it is perhaps because Christianity is both closer to home and actively preaches against those things.  While the secular person generally agrees with the church's morals they haven't publicly denounced certain things and then gone and done them.

The stupid thing is that people get all up in arms when Christians sin.  Of course Christians are going to sin, they are all sinners!  As long as the church/state are addressing the moral and legal sides of the problem then that's good.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2114 on: November 05, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Hmm following cannons line of thinking all monotheists have at least two believes....they belief in god and they disbelief in every single other god.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #2115 on: November 05, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »
Belief sluts!
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
« Reply #2116 on: November 05, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »
I think it is perhaps because Christianity is both closer to home and actively preaches against those things.  While the secular person generally agrees with the church's morals they haven't publicly denounced certain things and then gone and done them.

The stupid thing is that people get all up in arms when Christians sin.  Of course Christians are going to sin, they are all sinners!  As long as the church/state are addressing the moral and legal sides of the problem then that's good.

Higher standards make hypocrisy more likely.  The answer is not to lower standards.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2117 on: November 05, 2011, 07:22:46 PM »
Hmm following cannons line of thinking all monotheists have at least two believes....they belief in god and they disbelief in every single other god.
Exactly. They have faith in only one deity, and have faith that no other deity exists.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #2118 on: November 05, 2011, 07:25:28 PM »
Most. Depressing. Game. Ever. I hate Iowa (rather those refs) so, so very much.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2119 on: November 05, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
Most. Depressing. Game. Ever. I hate Iowa (rather those refs) so, so very much.

Sorry buddy.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #2120 on: November 05, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
Did you watch it?

There was a clear touchdown then a clear pass interference in the last two plays. Both were called incorrectly.

Despite all that... We were playing so badly we kind of deserved to lose.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2121 on: November 05, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
Did you watch it?

There was a clear touchdown then a clear pass interference in the last two plays. Both were called incorrectly.
Bad refs happen. Good teams overcome them.

Despite all that... We were playing so badly we kind of deserved to lose.
I cannot disagree with you. Still, I feel bad that you lost to Iowa, which hasn't looked at all promising this season. I think Michigan's program is on the rebound though. You should be able to cheer a winning team for years to come.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2122 on: November 06, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #2123 on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:40 AM »
Midaski.....

That's much to funny to be in the random unhappy thoughts thread.

This makes me sad....and now back to depressing topics:
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2124 on: November 07, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
12% is a massive proportion, and they are only the middleground of crazed religious republicans.
I bet less than 1% of Britain is BNP.

The religious attitude of America is a bit backwards.

Religious craziness is probably more prevalent in American than anywhere else in the world which isn’t Islamic. and it effects all of America.

creationism in school. say wut.

What's wrong with creationism in school
everything.

next: Biology lessons explaining how we re-produce using our own ribs!

creationism has no place in science classrooms. Teach it in RE, my all means.

Genetic ADAPTATION has been directly observed, but that is not proof of evolution (hence it's continued designation as "Theory")

what is the next designation after "theory", then?

a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.