home

Author Topic: WWI Battles -- In the Sky!  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
Re: WWI Battles -- In the Sky!
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »
Fly boys was very Hollywood adventure. Ok but a bit too polished.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
Fly boys was very Hollywood adventure. Ok but a bit too polished.

I agree with you. I still liked it.  :::cheers:::

Incidentally, Edward Rickenbacker's book "Fighting the Flying Circus" is fantastic. If you are into WWI aviation, I highly recommend reading it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:51:08 AM by CannonofDoom »
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
http://youtu.be/MCGKboYGlhg

I'll give it a try after The Dubbed Red Baron. The reviews for Flyboys make it sound awful, but I'll check it out for myself.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
Watched the Red Baron. Liked it. Part way through watching Flyboys, so far it's horribly cliche. Like a generic Hollywood template with a thin veneer of "WWI Aviation" skinned over it.

Just got this link from the guys at work, it's a virtual tour of the same museum as my previous photos. Set aside some time... it's huge.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-pkg.html

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »
You inspired me to want to play something fighter-y with machineguns and stuff. So I went to find my Crimson Skies CD. And didn't find it. Grr. So thanks a bunch!
 :wink:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 04:42:09 AM »
Isn't that game like 100 years old now? Is it something you can find on an abandon-ware site? Or just buy somewhere for $5?  :-P

Looking up paint schemes for some of the kits I got in the mail last week. Was browsing some SPAD VII profiles and came across this Italian plane, complete with octopus markings...

Just thought I'd share, because of the (slightly odd) warhammer-empire.com octopus/squid love. (Don't know if Rufus is even looking at this thread.)

Personally, I prefer the charging elephant emblem on this French plane....

Here's the site, by the way. Great stuff, though it took a minute to figure out the navigation: http://img.wp.scn.ru

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »
(my first kit ever was a De Haviland Misquito)

Mine too!

Beautiful plane.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »
My first ever plastic kit was infact a Monogram 1/48 scale Douglass Dauntless.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »
Back from the (almost) dead...

I've moved into the new house, and between moving, work and our almost 1 year old (already?!?!) daughter, I haven't had a chance to completely unpack my painting/work area. I've been itching to paint, but sick of digging through boxes trying to find the remainder of my painting supplies. But most of the modeling stuff is ready. So I've taken a few late night breaks from everything this week, and started putting together a few more planes.

Initially, my thought was to even out the Allies/Central ratio -- so I wanted to put another Central plane together. After far too much deliberation, I decided on a Roden Pfalz D.III, mainly on the weight of it being almost as sexy looking a plane as the Albatross D.V. Unfortunately the Roden kit is not quite up to "the sexy." It's got a ton of flash, is very delicate, and the kit doesn't seem to be broken into components in the most ideal way. The whole back portion of the fusilage actually sheered off at one point. I think I've got that repaired pretty well, but the front portion has horrible seams, even after trying to file, sand and putty it all together.

At some point I just got frustrated and started working on an old Airfix SPAD XIII. What a difference. It's a very nice kit, easilly as detailed as the Roden kit, but without all the flash, fragility, and awkward assembly. The only down side to this particlar kit is that it was an opened second hand kit in a bag, and was missing one of the wheel covers. Not a huge losss, I've left them both off and will just try to fill & sand the wheel where the axle shows through (I already trimmed it back priorto assembly. The other negative -- and this is 99% my fault -- is that the horizontal stabilizer isn't level. I missed this in the dry fit, and even after a bit of knife & solvent work (and thinking I had it fixed!) it rebounded back into its incorrect possition.

One other thing I've done is to assemble a custom kit-bashed resin designer toy combined with some spare plane parts (another SPAD) and other bits. The bonus is that this gave me a chance to try out "music wire" for the rigging, rather than the other types of wire I had been using. I'm completely converted. The music wire has a fine memory and snaps back into place very well. Very easy to work with, too. No more saging or bent lines!

After doing the rigging on this toy and discovering the joy of "music wire" I will be going back and rigging the previously assembled planes that had planned painting while ignoring the rigging as too much fidley detail.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
The Pfalz didn't come with a pilot. Neither did the Eduard DR.1. So I'm thinking about picking up this set to remedy that issue:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=539

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
Well done, as a kid i had most of the "Flying Circus" painted up, most of the patterns are not that hard to do if you start from the start  :icon_wink:
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 02:30:03 AM »
Finally finished assembling the Roden Pfalz D.III. This is easily the worst/ugliest assembly job I've done. I'm really not fond of the kit. Don't like the way it assembled, the flash, the lack of a pilot, and the flimsy landing struts. Although there is nice surface detail, I prefer sacrificing for softer details on the (mostly) easier to assemble Airfix kits -- especially considering they're 1/72 scale.

Still need to do the rigging. I bought some more wire, so I'm thinking about rigging the last few planes I've assembled (Pfalz, Albatross, SPAD & SE5a) and maybe even starting to actually get some more painted (gasp!)

Well done, as a kid i had most of the "Flying Circus" painted up, most of the patterns are not that hard to do if you start from the start  :icon_wink:

When I was a kid I was more interested in the (then) modern jets, so that's what I built. At the time I (foolishly) had no interest in the old planes... until decades later.   :icon_biggrin:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2021, 11:30:23 PM »
023 ... do you still have these?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra