home

Author Topic: SOPA  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
SOPA
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
Today many websites are protesting SOPA which  is an anti-piracy bill working its way through the American Congress.  Since many of our visitors are from other regions outside the USA and have no voice to confront this restrictive legislation it would be pointless to join the protest and shut down for a day.  I do plead with my fellow Americans visiting the site,  contact your representatives and share your thoughts with them on SOPA, the more they hear from you, the less likely they will support such an ugly proposal.

-Grutch

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: SOPA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:49:12 PM »
 :eusa_clap:
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »
I have already blasted emails to all my state's leadership.
Odo drops the bombs and laughs at all the clucking.

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline noibn

• Members
  • Not Otherwise Identified By Name
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »
I heard that Google (and twitter + facebook I think) was planning on shutting down for 24 hours in protest. SOPA is a perfect example of how lobbying activites in politics almost allways lead to bad/stupid things.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
Google has. Reddit also. Wikipedia, Craigslit, imgur, xkcd, QC, cyanide and happiness....

The discussion thread can be found here.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »
Facebook definitely will not. They are not about free information exchange, even in lipservice. :)

Blackening all my pictures on Flickr today, personally.  And writing to my congress(wo)men!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:48:49 AM »
You crazy pirates.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »
TBH Phil, I don't think you quite get how much impact these bills would have.

Remember when that bloodbowl site got a C&D letter? That will no longer be necessary. They can just shut down this site with the click of a button. To name one thing.

Ever read 1984?

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »

He doesn't.
He's not alone either.
What IS going to happen if these bills get through is that all sites like wikipedia, that link to other information and/or sites, will be held responsible if they are found to link to copyrighted material. If that material has not been given with express consent then wikipedia could be sued and shut down.
Same goes for google, ebay, facebook, twitter, flicker, bebo, myspace etc.
They can all be shut down in a heartbeat over copyright issues, however miniscule.
These bills will alow the govt to hold the hosting body responsible for the actions of those that use the hosting body.

It will do nothing positive or long term about stopping piracy.
This is not about copyright.
This is all about screening, censorship and control.
Governments do not like to be caught out getting up to mischief by the likes of Wikileaks et al.
This is all about governments (in this case the American govt, but don't worry others will follow suit, the British Govt has been pushing for this already here in the UK)  trying to stop the flow of free information and about controlling the flow of knowledge and sanitising the flow of that information so we only see what they want us to see, much as happens in China already.
It is not democratic.
It is totalitarian.
For those of you familiar with the Terminator, this is the introduction of 'Skynet'.

I would offer you a link to show you what I mean from the Terminator films, but under the new laws proposed I would be in breach of copyright, and they may decide to introduce this law retrospectively and this very site could be sued and shut down for my efforts.
Grutch could be fined and imprisoned.

Get the picture. :icon_idea: :icon_question:

The new laws are waaaaaay over the top.

There are already a set of powerful laws in place to deal with pirates and piracy. These new powers are not needed.

I really like and value Wikipedia, I love the way it is a living breathing encyclopedia of knowledge ... if it gets shut down, and it will, under SOPA, then we will have a pay site in its place governed by a sanitised option of the Encyclopedia Britannica/America and the only links available from that site will be to other sites that have been cleared and 'cleaned' by the censoring authority.

No thank you.

Free speech on the internet for everyone please.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:45:22 AM by Justnorth »
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
I've ripped off emails to all my Congressmen, and have signed all the petitions I can find. Free information for all!
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 04:33:21 PM »

He doesn't.
He's not alone either.
What IS going to happen if these bills get through is that all sites like wikipedia, that link to other information and/or sites, will be held responsible if they are found to link to copyrighted material. If that material has not been given with express consent then wikipedia could be sued and shut down.
Same goes for google, ebay, facebook, twitter, flicker, bebo, myspace etc.
They can all be shut down in a heartbeat over copyright issues, however miniscule.
These bills will alow the govt to hold the hosting body responsible for the actions of those that use the hosting body.

It will do nothing positive or long term about stopping piracy.
This is not about copyright.
This is all about screening, censorship and control.
Governments do not like to be caught out getting up to mischief by the likes of Wikileaks et al.
This is all about governments (in this case the American govt, but don't worry others will follow suit, the British Govt has been pushing for this already here in the UK)  trying to stop the flow of free information and about controlling the flow of knowledge and sanitising the flow of that information so we only see what they want us to see, much as happens in China already.
It is not democratic.
It is totalitarian.
For those of you familiar with the Terminator, this is the introduction of 'Skynet'.

I would offer you a link to show you what I mean from the Terminator films, but under the new laws proposed I would be in breach of copyright, and they may decide to introduce this law retrospectively and this very site could be sued and shut down for my efforts.
Grutch could be fined and imprisoned.

Get the picture. :icon_idea: :icon_question:

The new laws are waaaaaay over the top.

There are already a set of powerful laws in place to deal with pirates and piracy. These new powers are not needed.

I really like and value Wikipedia, I love the way it is a living breathing encyclopedia of knowledge ... if it gets shut down, and it will, under SOPA, then we will have a pay site in its place governed by a sanitised option of the Encyclopedia Britannica/America and the only links available from that site will be to other sites that have been cleared and 'cleaned' by the censoring authority.

No thank you.

Free speech on the internet for everyone please.
Completely agree. Apologies for the threadomancy, but I've heard SOPA is being revived under another name....