home

Author Topic: what lore?  (Read 11699 times)

Offline the Tilean

• Members
what lore?
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »
what lore do you take for your wizard? why? does it depend on what level wizard it is?

just curious as I'm relatively new to the empire and this edition
"That is because even dead he is so much better than all the other counts combined."
Fandir Nightshade on Count Marius Leitdorf -RIP-

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: what lore?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:28:20 AM »
Lvl 4: Life, Shadow, Death, Light
Lvl 3: Communism
Lvl 2: Shadow, Heavens, Fire
Lvl 1: Beasts, Fire

My personal creed~
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:58:46 AM »
Lvl 4: Life, Shadow, Death, Light
Lvl 2: Shadow, Heavens, Fire
Lvl 1: Beasts, Fire

My personal creed~

I must have missed that one.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 02:23:06 AM »
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 02:48:32 AM »
:icon_lol:

It depends on the Level of your wizard, really. Lores like Life are really only suitable for 4's (you need Throne of Vines to make it work properly - and a lord level wizard is more likely to get it). The other lores can be beneficial for the lower level wizards, especially if they have a good signature spell.

For my Level 2's, I take:

- Shadow
- Metal
- Heavens
- Death

Though I should note that Beasts would work well too. A well-placed Wildform can really save the day!

No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

Offline Count

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:01:56 AM »
When I take a Light Wizard, I like to take two level 1 Light Wizards to go with him...now were talkin thunder and "light"ning...

Offline Steve-O

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 03:26:45 AM »
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

I believe you have just been sig'ed (sigged?) sir.   :::cheers:::

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:45:47 AM »
what lore do you take for your wizard? why? does it depend on what level wizard it is?

Whatever I feel like, as there is no bad one. They are all superb. Of course L1's get a Lore with a nice sig spell that they can fall back onto or take right away.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »
I think it depends on the rest of the army and what opponents you expect.

For example lore of light is great if you field a War Altar and also immensly increases the killing potential of Demigryphons (I think I am right to assume that the +1 attack and ASF grants an extra attack for both rider and mount and at I of 4 the demigryphs get re rolls to hit against a lot of things out there).

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »

You beat me to it! :)

Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »

Except in Cathay, though not in it's purist form.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
In Communist Cathay, Communism works for YOU!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
Which You do you mean? You Linxiang, You Zhengsheng or You Youjun? :icon_wink:
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Martin123

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
I perosnally take

a level 4 shadow

supported with a lvl 2 fire

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »
Lately I've been taking a Level 4 Light wizard and a Level 2 death or shadow, depending on my mood.  The level 2 rides with knights and the level 4 hangs out near, or in, my infantry for buffs.

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:10:27 AM »

Much obliged, good sir.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
I have used all 8 of the lores one way or another, here are some of my favourites

L4, lore of beasts on a griffon, mainly because the model is awesome, and his presence confuses my opponent, but amber magic is awesome if used correctly as it can increase the strength of our troops, boost our characters and the griffon gives him great manouvreability as well as a punch in combat.

L4 lore of metal, metal synergises very well with Empire and has a wide range of spells for every occasion.

L2/1 lores of heavens, shadow or beasts; you bring these guys for the sig spells of their respective lores

Shadow and life are great lores, but they don't really fit with the way I play my Empire force so I tend not to use them, personally I feel life doesn't work particularly well unless you have the loremaster rule because throne is so essential and the chance of getting 2 or more doubles on your spell selection roll is pretty remote.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
I have used all 8 of the lores one way or another, here are some of my favourites

L4, lore of beasts on a griffon, mainly because the model is awesome, and his presence confuses my opponent, but amber magic is awesome if used correctly as it can increase the strength of our troops, boost our characters and the griffon gives him great manouvreability as well as a punch in combat.

How do you equip your amber mage on griffon?  I put white cloak and fencer blades, but it doesnt really look like he's protected much and he is a whopping 480 points. (including bloodroar upgrade).

L4 lore of metal, metal synergises very well with Empire and has a wide range of spells for every occasion.

L2/1 lores of heavens, shadow or beasts; you bring these guys for the sig spells of their respective lores

Shadow and life are great lores, but they don't really fit with the way I play my Empire force so I tend not to use them, personally I feel life doesn't work particularly well unless you have the loremaster rule because throne is so essential and the chance of getting 2 or more doubles on your spell selection roll is pretty remote.

Empire can make use of all magics.  Just pick what you like and build your army around it.  I have tried all the lores at one point or another and I really do like light, shadow and death so far.

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »
All of the lores have their uses (useful info i know  :eusa_wall: ) however some work really well with empire.

my personal favourite currently is Heavens (lvl 4 of course) although i have had much fun with light, fire and metal too :)

Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline Sajek

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
Normally in my list I have 800-1000 points in characters. Bsb, general, 2 presets, witch hunter with anti heros, and Ive been taking a lvl 4 beast which as actually worked really well! Sadly though instill haven't gotten transformation off to slaughter hordes of infantry... Pesky dispell scrolls! The +3A and +3S is amazing when doing the larger version! Really turns those empire characters into killing machines! Plus they know whats coming so they let though the preists prayers which is really what wins you combat.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
How do you equip your amber mage on griffon?  I put white cloak and fencer blades, but it doesnt really look like he's protected much and he is a whopping 480 points. (including bloodroar upgrade).

That is my build, although no Bloodroar at 2500 as it means I cant fit my general in as well and Ld 9 is needed.

Empire can make use of all magics.  Just pick what you like and build your army around it.  I have tried all the lores at one point or another and I really do like light, shadow and death so far.

Totally agree, metal, heavens and beasts just tend to work better with the way I play, although I still think the necessity of having throne of vines in play hobbles life slightly.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
I like Life, Light and Metal most.

On warseer they're having a poll, and metal turns out to be one of the most unused lores.... Don't get it, I think it's awesome! yeah the damage spells are only great against highly armoured foes, but all the other spells are always so usefull!
3+ save swordsmen or 2+ greatswords, anybody? +1 to hit and magical attacks on a HBVG?

Offline Vesticus

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
I'm using a double helbaster, double cannon, double engineer list and find that Heavens works well.

Bubble convergence is easy to cast and makes the helblasters even better. Plus it is great on the Knights and DGK's.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My modelling and painting log:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43403.0

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 09:26:47 PM »
Just been rethinking it... with a lvl4, you could effectively 2-dice the signature, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th spell. Never thought of that, really.

Bubble convergence seems great... especially since it's only 12+...

Edit: herp derp, was talking about the lore of Heavens
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:26:31 AM by TheBelgianGuy »