home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 4: Bring out the Fluff  (Read 17221 times)

Offline Windelov

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 4: Bring out the Fluff
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2012, 06:58:15 AM »
Knights please #3

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2012, 07:59:39 AM »
I vote knights #3 - not very fluffy but very much needed.

What is the overall plan for the wiz on grif?
High Priest of Taal (Boort the Fierce): lvl4 (Lore of Beast), Fencer's Blades, White Cloak of Taal, Ironcurse Icon, Griffon /w Bloodroar. 485 Pts
Fencers blades? You don't get add attack and enemies will just choose to attack the griffon instead. Ironcurse Icon, if you use this then the 5+ ward from the White Cloak is lost (models can only have one ward save).

I think there are two options:

1) Character hunt and/or engage enemy units in flank. This means: Van Horstmann's Spec + OTS + Talisman of End/Pre. Since it will most likely do the charging it can issue a challenge, then let the griffon rip the other character to pieces.

2) Warmachine hunt/ flank protection. Which requires something like: White Cloack, Bloadroar and Two heads ...

Either way the current setup is a bit in between and needs to be altered so that it ca do one specific task. (IMO)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »
What is the overall plan for the wiz on grif?
High Priest of Taal (Boort the Fierce): lvl4 (Lore of Beast), Fencer's Blades, White Cloak of Taal, Ironcurse Icon, Griffon /w Bloodroar. 485 Pts
Fencers blades? You don't get add attack and enemies will just choose to attack the griffon instead. Ironcurse Icon, if you use this then the 5+ ward from the White Cloak is lost (models can only have one ward save).

Not sure what you mean by "add attack" (why wouldn't a Wiz with two blades not get two attacks?) but I think the intent with the Ironcurse Icon is to pass a 6+ save on to the mount.  (The mount being part of the "unit.")

Template weapons hit both...so then you get a 5++ for the Wiz and a 6++ for the Griffon.  (There are other examples of things with two different Ward saves-  for instance an Arch Lector on WAltar has nothing unless you give him one....but the chariot itself has a 4++.)

The Cloak gives a -1 on on to-hit rolls-  so the Griffon will benefit as well. 

It is a unique build, IMHO.  Total domination if the crazy Taal bastard gets Savage Beasts of Horrors off too....

If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »
You do get the +1 attack for fencers blades as it gives an extra attack under the paired weapon rules. Rather than counting as AHW.

Anyway I'll go with option 3 too. I think the knights would complete the hierarchy nicely.

Somehow i completely missed that this army was lead by a beast mage on griffon.  Its an idea I've been thinking of trying for a while myself. should be fun  :biggriin:

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
Yes, I get the White cloack. I also get the fact that wiz has a 5++ and grif gets a 6++ vs warmachines. I just don't think a 6++ is worth it, in the sense that it takes up a magic item (Enhanted items) slot.

I didn't think paired weapons gave mounted models an additional attack. However, reading up on the rules I see that they do. I stand corrected ::heretic::

I still don't see its role on the battlefield though - but I guess I'll find out.

• Members
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
Knights it is.

Unless you have any minor list tweaks at this point that is what we are going to run with.

I started the thread for the bad guys-  Gnarltooth's Forest Goblin Crew.  Only visit that thread if you are planning on assisting me with the bad guys.

I will start the 28th Light Bridge thread tomorrow.  We need to give the O&G crew some time to get their game plan together.

Since this is a "fluff" TDG and Joey-Boy's list is the winner, I am going to see if he can write up some fluff after each turn.  If he is too busy to do it, I will open it up to anyone who wants to do it.  I am asking the O&G team for some fluff input on their turn as well so we can see the battle from the view of both armies.

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »
Judging by the title of our enemies we're facing a forest goblin army  :icon_twisted:

I guess we can do some pre-game strategy until we get our thread posted:
  • We're likely facing against a lot of fast cavalry, either wolf or spider, so our outriders should deploy to flanks to take them out. Only we get to play the chaff game here. One salvo of 10 repeaters should snuff a five gabbo spider or wolf unit.
  • Goblin leadership sucks and we have bloodroar. We'll need to take advantage of that.
  • All the poison that will no doubt be on the table makes me glad we ended up taking knight, even if I did vote otherwise.
  • I don't doubt that we'll see a lot of warmachines amongst this enemy. With that in mind, we should just take the sig spell with out lvl 1 and use it on rock lobbas or doom divers if we can. Being the fastest thing in our army, the griffon may also have to go warmachine hunting. The Spear spell will also help here.
  • Lots of characters means lots of targets for our witch hunters. I get a feeling we'll want them out of a unit to go a hunting.

And, of course, well likely go up against 1-2 ARACKNORAK!  ::heretic::

Should be fun.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:30:22 PM by librisrouge »
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
Judging by the title of our enemies we're facing a forest goblin army  :icon_twisted:

I guess we can do some pre-game strategy until we get our thread posted:
  • We're likely facing against a lot of fast cavalry, either wolf or spider, so our outriders should deploy to flanks to take them out. Only we get to play the chaff game here. One salvo of 10 repeaters should snuff a five gabbo spider or wolf unit.
  • Goblin leadership sucks and we have bloodroar. We'll need to take advantage of that.
  • All the poison that will no doubt be on the table makes me glad we ended up taking knight, even if I did vote otherwise.
  • I don't doubt that we'll see a lot of warmachines amongst this enemy. With that in mind, we should just take the sig spell with out lvl 1 and use it on rock lobbas or doom divers if we can. Being the fastest thing in our army, the griffon may also have to go warmachine hunting. The Spear spell will also help here.
  • Lots of characters means lots of targets for our witch hunters. I get a feeling we'll want them out of a unit to go a hunting.

And, of course, well likely go up against 1-2 ARACKNORAK!  ::heretic::

Should be fun.

Arachnaroks make me feel like we really should have gone with the cannons...hope they only bring 1. Knights should prove useful too, I think Gobbos have a problem with 1+ saves, no?

Otherwise itīs to early to tell with Gobbos...could be vast hordes of infantry, tons of fast little annoyers, lots of characters, lots of artillery, lots of monsters, tons of horrible shamans...should be fun either way!

All in all, our Blood Roar Griffon should definitly get a chance to shine...just hope it doesnīt get splatted by a lucky Doom Diver! :icon_eek:

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2012, 11:24:15 PM »
Watch out for snaggla ( or whatever his name is) a forest goblin hero.

Has a special unit he cna take that can ambush i believe and have better stats, I think they also hate empire and his combat prowess isn't half bad for a goblin.

There could also be some savage orcs thrown in, a forest goblin/savage orc army is a sort of fluff list i've thought about taking before.

Anyway it should be fun.

• Members
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2012, 04:28:44 AM »
Move on over to the new thread The 28th Light Brigade if you are going to stay with the Empire.

I need some more to help me with the Goblin Crew...so if you want to do that, check out that thread.

May the best fluff win!

HHG

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2012, 03:45:29 AM »
Wow, this looks like fun!

Haven't looked at the other threads yet, but think I'll just observe this one, and not participate in the decision making.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »
Wow, this looks like fun!

Haven't looked at the other threads yet, but think I'll just observe this one, and not participate in the decision making.

HHG is doing awesome stuff, go back and re-read some of the old threads, brilliant.  Lots of good Generalship going on.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »
The series of threads being facilitated by HHG have been being read by me, and even occassionally input has been provided.

And been learning plenty from those who've been participating more than me.  Much appreciated. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra