home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 4: The 28th Light Brigade  (Read 92513 times)

Offline grifter

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 4: The 28th Light Brigade
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
Our Griffon should go east, rolling up that low-Ld flank and then swooping back into the middle.

Just so you know, the Squigs are Immune to Psych.  They aren't running from anything....and can pack a punch.  :unsure:

Ahh, thanks, good to know. Not that familiar with the Goblin book.

Quite lucky rolling then for the Gobbo´s placement.  :icon_neutral:
I guess we rolled ok as well though.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
Need some more Empire input!

Here is what Joey's plan looks like based on how the forests came out-  the west forest is normal....but the east forest came out as a Venom Thicket, which grants Poisoned Attacks but is Dangerous Terrain.

Arc 1 is where the Wiz and WH are.

Arc 2 is Arc 1's detachment.

Arc 3 is where the other WH is.

Arc 4 is Arc 3's detachment.

Arc 5 and 6 are the Halberd's detachments.

I plopped the ICK in the center cuz it is getting tight in the center deployment zone...but give me some feedback on what works for you. 

The far right Outriders could slide over a little more to the east, but then a few of them would have to roll DT tests if they move.  Both Outriders could deploy in the forest and then Vanguard out of them-  I wonder if you take DT tests on a Vanguard move?
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
I'm fine with that setup.

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
I wonder if you take DT tests on a Vanguard move?
I believe you do.

Would like to see knights deployed in 1 rank due to to reduce spearchukka dam. Perhaps move the knights back and then screen them with Outriders.

If we force a unit to terror-flee, do we get to pursue/redirect? If so from where do we measure the distance. I'm getting an erie feeling that if we charge out with the big bird, the goblin gits will flee and leave it stranded in nowhere.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »
If we force a unit to terror-flee, do we get to pursue/redirect?
I believe if a unit flees from terror then it is treated just like a charge reaction of "flee."  Redirect or pursue as normal.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
I believe you do take DT tests on Vanguard but we only want to move the Outriders enough to blast the Giant Spiders turn 1 if we get it.

Otherwise, I'm fine with this setup and eager to begin.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:18:52 PM by librisrouge »
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »
I believe you do take DT tests on Vanguard but we only want to move the Outriders enough to blast the Giant Spiders turn 1 if we get it.

Otherwise, I'm fine with this setup and eager to begin.

+1

• Members
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
Okay-  the majority likes the graph and we are going with it.

The Gobbos won the toss to Vanguard first.  After they do that, I will ask for your input.  I will try and move quickly with this-  I want to get the game started.

You gave me a few suggestions of Witch Hunter targets-  but we need to finalize that right now.

The last thing I read was both of them will target the BSB.
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »
@HHG

Just catching up on this TDG....plan to be just viewing the Empire decisions.
I have struggled to find the final empire list that was chosen...any chance of putting that in the opening post?
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
the list is halfway down this page
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44374.50

i like our deployment, although i would of split the two groups of outriders up. forcing the enemy to come around the tower and into our guns.

having said that, what was the reasoning behind not accusing the wizard? just curious as to the thought process here.. usually i would accuse him then go to town with my witchhunters (town being very suicidal haha)
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline Joey_Boy

• Members
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
the list is halfway down this page
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44374.50

i like our deployment, although i would of split the two groups of outriders up. forcing the enemy to come around the tower and into our guns.

having said that, what was the reasoning behind not accusing the wizard? just curious as to the thought process here.. usually i would accuse him then go to town with my witchhunters (town being very suicidal haha)

The wizard is a fast cav character and would never need to be close enough to the WH units to get sniped. And if he is close enough then he will just get charged and killed anyway. The BSB is pivital to keeping the gobbo lines intact, and if Iv lost my wood elf mage on foot once in 2 years(from anything other then a miscast)  then a M9 wizard with 360 movement should never get caught.

But the accusation is not final yet. And if we want to change it to the lvl4 gobbo and the BSB or General or something else then it's fine. But we need to make our decision quickly. 

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 10:24:56 PM »
+1 for both on the BSB
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »
yeah thats a pretty quick argument!

something to be wary of, that arachnarock spider (and maybe the others?) can come right over that building, we shouldnt assume it will slow down that flank.

I would like to send the Demi's around the tower on the west side. I dont think either unit of spider riders on that side could deal with them. if he holds the arachnarock spider back to cover them all the better.

On the east flank, i would like to move the halberds two archer units further east to impede the movement of the squigherd. i would happily throw both detatchments away if it meant watching the squig herd flounder for a turn or 3 or even better overrun the wrong direction.

Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »
I feel like the outriders should be shooting the squig herd for a couple of turns to make them easy to finish.

We should divert the giant spider cav and try to setup a combo charge with the knights and halberds to beat them through combat res.

Not sure how to deal with the other flank as the demis risk being left out in the cold while the arachnaroc and friends go over the tower. Could we position our archers such that the spiders don't have the movement to go over the tower (I don't believe they are allowed to finish on it). This might give the demis something to get their teeth into.

Would you back the griffon to take on the arachnaroc??
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 09:06:45 AM »
Empire got the first Vanguard and moved up and over the east Spider Riders.

How do you want to Vanguard the Outriders?  They cannot move within 12" of the Spider Riders so that means they can only move straight forward about 2."  To shoot at the Squig herd the east Outriders are going to have to brave it into the Venom Thicket.  The bridge, while not massive, does go up and over the water so it will provide cover for units behind it.

As of now, I have both WHs down as targeting the BSB.

Offline Joey_Boy

• Members
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »
yeah, 2" forward seems good, move the left one at an angle towards the center is possible and a little more forward to create space for the Halberds. Man this mission is really annoying to play as your entire line is condensed

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
There's a reason my group never plays with rivers.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

• Members
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
There's a reason my group never plays with rivers.

Aye.  I put the river in for fluff-  but it doesn't effect movement or ranks at all-  it is shallow.

It is the Venom Thicket and the number of units that had to deploy in the center that is causing the bunch up.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »
I think we take a risk and send one unit of outriders through the venom thicket.
The other should move to 12" of the spider riders moving as far right as possible without entering the forest.
Doing this will create space for our units and not give the squig herd a free run down our flank.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
I think we take a risk and send one unit of outriders through the venom thicket.
The other should move to 12" of the spider riders moving as far right as possible without entering the forest.
Doing this will create space for our units and not give the squig herd a free run down our flank.

Okay-  this is what you are describing.  I need some more to weigh in if this is what you want to do to open up the lines.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
I"M NOT READING ANYTHING!

Just thought I'd post this little tidbit:  Joey-Boy's Empire vs Noght's Night Goblins in Round 3 in the FluffyHammer Universal Battle Tourney.  Because we are actually in the same time zone, we'll go slow and save the turns and write a battle report. 

Empire vs Gobbos the flavor of the month!
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »
Man those outriders are in a bad spot, I suggest:
1) we vanguard-wheel the western outriders 90 deg to face the woods
2) we vanguard the eastern outriders towards the bridge to haress the gigantic spiders.

This way we will achieve: an actual change of shooting at the spiderriders going for the woods and keep outrider unit more that 8" away from the wood so that it can stand and shoot in turn 2.

On a sidenote (no rulebook near me) does vanguard state that we may not: Move within 12" of enemy unit OR end up within 12"?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »
BRB p. 79: This cannot be used to move the Vanguard troops to within 12" of the enemy.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
BRB p. 79: This cannot be used to move the Vanguard troops to within 12" of the enemy.
Sounds like we can move through the 12" zone, but not end up within it.

I say we put the outriders towards the bridge to shoot the gigantic spiders.

• Members
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 01:07:32 PM »
You can't squeeze both Outriders in the center...but how does this look?  One goes to the bridge, the other slides over to the edge of the woods.

Now the ICK can wheel and pivot around to the left and the Halbs can fit up the middle.