home

Author Topic: General on Griffon? Some advice?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
General on Griffon? Some advice?
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »
So, my local high elf player runs an annointed of asuryan on frostheart phoenix to amazing qualities.
He flies around the board with a giant blade smacking things to dust at S7 + S6 attacks from the bird and wrecks everything, daemon princes and hellcannons included, they dont even get to attack for sigmars sake!

So I started thinking, is there a way we can do this? His annointed costs about 500+ points.
I was thinking something like :

General
Griffon
FPA
White Cloak
Enchanted Shield
Ogre Blade

Now we have 3 S6 attacks, -1 to hit for enemies, 2+ armour and 5+ ward. The bird also gives 4 or 5 attacks at S6.
Is there any good way to gear him? Preferably could take on daemons and the like.
I'm doubting it, but I want to see what people come up with.

EDIT :
Maybe use a lance to get +2S, with flying charges should be easy to get off.
Like this?
General + griffon
Lance, fpa, shield, dragonhelm, other tricksters shard, white cloak
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:29:21 PM by Jomppexx »
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline Locke

• Members
Re: General on Griffon? Some advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
Problem is the cost i believe and the lack of protection. For 359 points you're bringing 3 S4/6 attacks + 4 S6 attacks.  Only the general will have armor 1+/5++

The elf costs way more on his frost chicken, but you'll be:

Hitting at S5 and ASL because of the freeze effect, Requiring 4's to hit due to the higher ws of the enemy (he'll be hitting on 4's as well  but..) he'll be rerolling due to ASF. His mount has T6 so it'll be harder to bring down, plus comes with armor and a ward save of his own plus a roll on the wind of magics which might very well grant him more attack power, or maybe put his strength down a notch.

The general might very well find himself unhorsed/ungriffoned the first round. Same goes against demon princes or other monsters that hit like a truck and go first.

I've had good results with a general on griffon against the hellcannon, but without the speculum i couldn't charge a demon prince head on without some sort of backup (like a hellblaster/cannon barrage first).
If you find violence isn't the answer, you're simply not being violent enough.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
General on Griffon? Some advice?

Don't take him.

But in earnest: as most of our characters, a General on Griffon has more of a supporting role. Do not assume you can take a serious opponent head-on and on your own. The Griffon in particular is fairly squishy. Be aware of ranged threats and choose your fights wisely.  Give the Griffon Bloodroar, and use him for supporting attacks, where he can make all the difference.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
Yeah, I guess the way to get the most out of him would be to have him charge in to an enemy units flank, that is being held by an anvil.
The elf bird gives ASL and -1S to enemies, absolutely overpowered.  :closed-eyes:
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline TastyBagel

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:38:03 PM »
+1 to the other posters. Empire can't pull this off.

If you want to run him, as other have suggested, supporting charges, or trying to Terror things away with Bloodroar are your best bets.

I first considered a Griffon-riding general after reading this thread. You might find it interesting as well:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=49133.0

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:43 AM »
I've been using one for quite some time now.
It's the centerpiece of my army.
:happy:

It basically does whatever captasus does, just better and for a much bigger price.
But don't be fooled, he's not capable of taking even mildly threatening things head on unless they're outside of LD re-roll bubble and you feel like gambling (Bloodroar is a must have upgrade).
Griffon got a price drop in 8th edition army book, but I'm afraid that's still not enough. However, in the old book he gave you a banner option for a unit of state troops, which was nice. Now he doesn't even get to use his Hold the line! rule since he's not in a unit.
I feel like Hold the line! rule should be an upgrade, not an automatically included rule.
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War