home

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar Empire VS Warriors of Chaos  (Read 5429 times)

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
Age of Sigmar Empire VS Warriors of Chaos
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:59:05 PM »
Yesterday I managed to get three games of Age of Sigmar played in the time it would have taken me to play a single game of 8th Edition. This is the first of the battles, there are no pictures I’m afraid as I am building the army from scratch and they aren’t started yet.

My Army

I am basing my army around a nautical theme, I have a massive pop out and put together pirate ship which is perfect scale and have named it the Nordland. The Nordland is led by Kapitan Theodoric Gausser who ever since he received a head wound believes he was a big deal in the World before Time and is trying to build up an Empire. His crew consist of humans, elves, dwarfs and even an ogre.

In battle 1 a shore party is sent out to gather supplies and runs into a Chaos war band.

My Forces

Nordland Shoreparty (State Troop Detachment Formation) – 2 units of handgunner, 1 Swordman unit, Empire General on foot and 1 unit of Greatswords.
Empire General on Griffin

The Enemy

Chaos Lord on Chimera, chariot, 20 chaos warriors with 2 weapons, 10 chaos warriors with sword and shields and 3 blood crushers as well as a chaos wizard.

Chaos won the roll and chose to set up diagonally and as we were using formations we both set up at the same time so he got to choose. He let me go first, nice of him but I was quite far away so couldn’t hurt him anyway.
My bulk of my forces were set up on the left of the field supported by the general so that he could use his “hold the line” command ability. As I was using proxies (actually just bases) I decided to punish myself and not have champions, banners or musicians. My griffin advance to the right with greatswords following more slowly behind them.
His turn saw him advance his warrior blocks slowly forward and match my swing to the right with his Chaos Lord and chariot.

Turn 2 Empire wins the roll

The Chaos Lord was in perfect range and so for movie effect I thought I would test out the Empire Griffin. Whilst the bulk of the army stayed in gunline, the greatswords swung over to block his chariot from joining the clash of titan and the Empire Griffin smashed into his lord. I chose to block instead of charge the greatswords as I didn’t want two combats and therefore lose initiative on one. It turns out Empire Generals are just as good at fighting as Chaos Lords. Mine was equipped with a Runefang and Shield and dealt an amazing 8 wounds but taking 6 in reply.
He responded in his turn by crashing into the greatswords with the chariot killing a few with impact hits but doing only passing damage in combat whilst the greatswords caused 2 damage. The greatswords passed their battleshock test. That left me open to strike first with my Griffin who tore apart the lord but had taken additional wounds from being struck by arcane bolt.

Turn 3 Chaos win the roll

The wizard scores more wounds on the griffin and things are looking desperate for him with a mere wound left and the horde move ever closer to my gun line. However, the wizard was not done and he launch himself against the Griffin, poked it with his stick killing beast and rider.
The two blocks finally crashed together with his lord with banner running ahead and planting the flag to drive his minions on, supported by the blood crushers who rushed the first unit of handgunners.
The Empire struck back when the second handgunners fired a volley killing two bloodcrushers and my general charged into the survivor. To protect their lord, my ten brave swordsmen marched in front of the warriors of chaos to become surrounded by them, however their shields proved fantastic round after round keeping the usually weak soldiers fighting on.
In a moment of madness that could only be due to the proximity of the Blood God, the greatswords slaughtered on of their own at a statue of a monkey to help them finish the chariot although this left a sole survivor that was promptly finished by the enemy wizard.

Turn 4 Chaos win the roll

From this moment on the game was up for the Empire although we played several more turns. My general fell to 10 Chaos Warriors after he killed the BloodCrusher and soon the handgunners followed.
The swordsmen remained and although just 3 left, 20 Chaos warriors just couldn’t kill them. We decided that Khorne had favoured them and they became his champions.

A really enjoyable first game. I know people will say there are no tactics but there are in the fact that it is very situational. Like in my second game, I hid behind a deadly wall to avoid being charged or secured a mystical wood (very powerful). Also the synergy is what it is all about, it is like playing magic the gathering the battlegame.
Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:35:56 PM by Lord_Crom »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Age of Sigmar Empire VS Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
Was eager to read this, but then a wall of text hit me... :ph34r:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
Sorry about that. Next one will have pictures and be a bit more spread out

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »
it's more readable now thanks, now to wait till the boss looks the other way to read it :)

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 03:06:03 AM »
Excellent report, Lord Crom, your soldiers fought valiantly against the hordes of chaos. :::cheers:::

I love the fact that our infantry are valuable again. I liked 8th but every Empire battle report was the same stank, knight and demigryph force, it got dull to watch real fast.

Now I'm captivated again by these reports as the infantry can be a winning force again. :smile2:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:53:49 AM »
Thanks, yes infantry are good now. However, handgunners are excellent! They 10 man squad with hold the line and in formation will hit on 3+ wound on 2+. If you had 20 then it would be 2+ 2+. Is refreshing being able to pick what you like and it never really feels like you are destined to lose. That said played same army versus thanquol and he wiped me out but he did win the go first roll each and every time

Offline Caustizer

• Members
  • Empire. Yes, we Cannon!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
Thanks, yes infantry are good now. However, handgunners are excellent! They 10 man squad with hold the line and in formation will hit on 3+ wound on 2+. If you had 20 then it would be 2+ 2+. Is refreshing being able to pick what you like and it never really feels like you are destined to lose. That said played same army versus thanquol and he wiped me out but he did win the go first roll each and every time

I definitely agree with this assessment. Handgunners can now be considered a cornerstone of Empire strategy in the game, considering how easy it is to boost their effectiveness to pretty stunning levels. You can get +1 to hit from Celestial Hurricanum, +1 to hit from having 20+ models, +1 to hit for not moving or being in CC, +1 to hit and wound from Captain for not moving, and +1 to hit if in a State Troop Detachment and nearby another unit.  Giving them a Hochland Long Rifle seems mandatory, given how it extends the units reach considerably (forcing your opponent to come to you).

Empire Cannons are still all but essential though to even the odds against the powerful monsters and heroes we are going to run into even more frequently now with the passage of the End Times. The fact that Cannons have TWO SHOTS now makes them even more deadly, and a Master Engineer aiding them can fire his weapon while he does so (hello Hochland Long Rifle!). Mortars still suck however, as they have to jump through a lot of hoops with a single dice just to get to the damage roll - Engineers don't help them in the slightest.

Fun Fact - An Engineer can manage multiple War Machines at once provided he is close enough to all of them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:21:37 PM by Caustizer »

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 07:36:16 AM »
Completely agree with all you have said and will eventually get a longrifle as soon as I actually make the models. The extension of my force is going to be Dwarf Cannons (from black scorpions fantasy pirate range) and have a dispossessed formation as I'm building a kind of Ark for the old order races so will also eventually get Skycutters and the Maneater Ogre (I know not order but pretty damn fluffy as he is dressed as a pirate).

I have an unrelated question. Can I post pictures on here that are from Facebook? My army has its own page so it would be a lot easier if it could. Any help with the answer would be great.

Thanks

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »
I have an unrelated question. Can I post pictures on here that are from Facebook? My army has its own page so it would be a lot easier if it could. Any help with the answer would be great.

Thanks

Yes you can, open the picture on your FB, right click the image and select the option to "copy the picture location"
That link you can use with in the IMG tags on this forum.
Problem mostly is that you don't know how long that rendered url will hold up for as FB might find it nessecary to shift your pictures around on their servers. If they do then you need to edit your posts with the new link. (Doesn't happen too often I found)

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
Just to add in my two cents, if you have more picture issues then try using photobucket.  It's a free website that really useful for posting pictures on forums, just upload the picture then click on the paperclip icon and then copy and paste the IMG onto your post.

On the subject of tactics, here's a fun idea I heard about. Use your infantry to form a British red square around your hero/wizard so they're protected while supporting your troops. It would fit the image with a Napoleonic Empire force. :-D

Also, addressing Caustizer,  nice Age of Empires Ottoman bombard avatar! :biggriin:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Caustizer

• Members
  • Empire. Yes, we Cannon!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 08:59:05 PM »
Just to add in my two cents, if you have more picture issues then try using photobucket.  It's a free website that really useful for posting pictures on forums, just upload the picture then click on the paperclip icon and then copy and paste the IMG onto your post.

On the subject of tactics, here's a fun idea I heard about. Use your infantry to form a British red square around your hero/wizard so they're protected while supporting your troops. It would fit the image with a Napoleonic Empire force. :-D

Also, addressing Caustizer,  nice Age of Empires Ottoman bombard avatar! :biggriin:

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of powerful artillery in fantasy games.  :happy:

I think this battle report could use some more pictures. It tends to make people's eyes hurt reading so much text. Would like to see more games of Age of Sigmar though, since the game is so new the flow of gameplay is not very well known yet.