home

Author Topic: Lion Rampant Has and Is Expanding ...  (Read 14816 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Lion Rampant Has and Is Expanding ...
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2019, 12:58:51 AM »
Some folks, who follow what the Rampant/Lament/R&P writers are doing, base there 28mm armies for these rules systems all on round bases.  The system is called 3-2-1 and generally there are two 40mm bases with 3 figures on them, two 30mm bases with 2 figures on them, and 2 25mm bases with one figure on each.

A friend of mine is doing this with his Medieval and AWI armies.  Currently my Medieval armies are all individually based on 20mm squares because I am using some of my WFB figures for my German army and all my Perry WotRs figures are also on squares, although I am contemplating using the 3-2-1 system at some point.

I read somewhere that one guy is using his 4 ACW figures per square base x 3 for his R&P army.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:17:02 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2019, 01:02:32 AM »
And by the way F&IW could make for a good thread. :icon_cool:

I have such figures in both 28mm and 40mm.  Although both in limited quantities, and not enough for armies in almost any rules set.  Perhaps I'll have the 28mm for R&P, but haven't decided.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
Also, if I recall correctly, there is another set of rules called The Men Who Would Be Kings which is also based off the Rampant rules chassis.  They were written for Colonial era games.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
I'm rethinking how to spend my slots when purchasing the new Byzantines from Fireforge's kickstarter via the 7 box pledge level.  I might only go for plastic.  I've never been thrilled with the whole Vikings in a guard unit, although I'm sure there are some mighty nice Vikings and Cataphrats made by other producers anyway, if I want them as part of my Byzantine army.

Lion Rampant's list for Byzantines is as follows ... 3 mounted serjeant units (6 figures each) x 4 points =12 points, 2 foot serjeant units (12 figures each) x 4 points = 8, and 2 Bidower units (6 figures each) x 2 points = 4.  Total points = 24.

1 box of the Koursores gives 2/3rds of the mounted serjeants. 1 box of the spearsmen gives both units of foot serjeants, and 1 box of Auxilairies gives all of the Bidowers, plus another 12 figures beyond that.

Two of the mounted serjeants could be turned into mounted archer units at plus 1 point per unit, but then I'd need to give up one of the Bidower units to keep the army at 24 points

Need to look up the Impetus and Day of Battle army lists for Byzantines before finalizing what boxes of figures ares chosen.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:15:46 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »
This makes me think I can increase units by deceasing points. Like my 12 hand gunners can be 6 points instead of 12. Gives more ability to field more unit types
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2020, 10:23:09 PM »
All unit types in Lion Rampant have either 6 or 12 figures to start the game.

And there are 3 types of missile units ...

1.  Archers (and slingers) cost 4 points for 12 figures, and these can be upgraded at the cost of 2 points per unit to Experts.
2.  Crossbows cost 4 points and have 12 figures, and these can be upgraded at the cost of 2 points per unit to have Pavise.
3.  Bidowers cost 2 points for 6 figures, although they have no upgrades available.

Not sure about Dragon Rampant's availability of handguns, yet the chassis is the same as Lion Rampant as far as figures and points.

Being pike and shot rules, Pikeman's Lament has handgun units, although my understanding is that Pikeman's Lament does not fully equate to the Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant rules.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2020, 11:40:21 PM »
All unit types in Lion Rampant have either 6 or 12 figures to start the game.

And there are 3 types of missile units ...

1.  Archers (and slingers) cost 4 points for 12 figures, and these can be upgraded at the cost of 2 points per unit to Experts.
2.  Crossbows cost 4 points and have 12 figures, and these can be upgraded at the cost of 2 points per unit to have Pavise.
3.  Bidowers cost 2 points for 6 figures, although they have no upgrades available.

Not sure about Dragon Rampant's availability of handguns, yet the chassis is the same as Lion Rampant as far as figures and points.

Being pike and shot rules, Pikeman's Lament has handgun units, although my understanding is that Pikeman's Lament does not fully equate to the Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant rules.

Great! That clarifies Units. That is the same as DR. I can definitely field a good size force
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2020, 08:06:35 PM »
Besides having my copy of Lion Rampant, found my copies of Dragon Rampant, Pikeman's Lament, and Rebels & Patriots.  Plus I have copies of the supplement's to Pikeman's Lament ... Exotic Army Lists and National Army Lists.

- - -

By the way, there is another set of the rules called "The Men Who Would Be Kings". This set of rules is for the mid to late 19th century Colonial Era.

And the same author wrote the Dark Age rules called Dux Bellorum, although not on the same chassis as the rest listed above.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Also, found some ideas for Handgonnes to be used with Lion Rampant, and these all came from the author Dan Mersey.

1. He calls this listing the "Hollywood" version ...

This unit type has not been as heavily tested as the ones in the book … I dropped gunpowder part way through development, so this is very much a work in progress.

Additionally, please note that this profile is rather fanciful, to make this new technology stand out as something different on your battlefield – you may or may not like the results!

Lion Rampant is really intended for skirmishes fought before gunpowder became common on the battlefield. Even when large battles involved some numbers of guns, this wouldn’t always have filtered down to the localised conflicts depicted within these rules. That said, there are some lovely models available for early handgunners, so feel free to use this troop type in your host if appropriate. 

UNIT NAME Handgonnes POINTS 4
Attack 7+ Attack value 6
Move 6+ Defence value 6
Shoot 8+ Shoot value / Range 6 / 12”
Courage 4+ Maximum movement 6”
Armour 2 Special rules Bang; Panic

Models per unit: 6

Special rules:
• Bang: All units count as Armour 1 against Shooting by this unit (Armour 2 if in cover).
• Panic: When this unit Shoots, the target unit must take a Courage test regardless of the number of hits inflicted.

Unit upgrades:
• Pavises @ 2 points per unit. As for Crossbows.

2.  For use with the crossbow listing already provided in the rules ...

Admittedly the Handgonnes profile above is a little fanciful, for fun more than anything else. If that grates with your enjoyment of the rules, a more sober assessment of early gunpowder would be as a variant of Crossbowmen:

Unit upgrades:
• Firearms @ -1 point per unit: Range becomes 12”; may still upgrade to pavises.

Therefore a unit equipped in this way will cost 3 points (5 points with pavises). Not all of the models in the unit need to be armed with guns, a number could be carrying pavises or other weapons, without this affecting the unit’s effectiveness or profile.

3. This listing provides for a way to just use the figures and fitting into the rules without any changes ...

Use the Bidowers profile: Equally quick and simple, but I’d suggest this is a more accurate way of depicting firearms: the range is shorter and they will act as true skirmishers.

4. This listing just uses the crossbow rules and just switches the figures ...

Use the Crossbowmen profile: this is a quick and simple way to include firearms in your units; although their range is quite long, the slower firing rate compared to bows is a reasonable representation of early firearms.

I like the idea of using #3 for the Middle Ages time period of the rules.  However, if using these rules for early renaissance, Italian Wars era, I might use #2 instead.  I could see experimenting with #1, yet not sure I'd enjoy them.  And #4 seems much less to my liking.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2020, 10:24:11 AM »
I see a new supplement is due out later this month.

"The Crusader States"

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2020, 11:54:00 AM »
Hmmm ... will have to try googlefoo and see what is up with that.  Thanks for the heads up! :::cheers:::

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2020, 01:14:56 PM »
It is not an Osprey book, though they are supporting it apparently.

It's a group called "Gaming the Crusades" from what I can glean off Facebook.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2020, 02:25:42 PM »
Looks good!

What I read so far ... the book has 12 scenarios at the tale end that can be played individually or as a campaign, and it looks like these are based on historical events.  Apparently there are army lists for the historical factions and various upgrades an characteristics.

The Professor that has gone in on writing of the book with Mersey wanted to develop this expansion teaching history classes.

And here is a link to a website full of articles on the Castle game the professor created and used with the Lion Rampant rules, which was at Salute in 2019 ...

https://crusadercastle.wordpress.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2021, 02:40:42 PM »
Following up on the "Crusader States" Lion Rampant is ... "A Viking In The Sun".

Not out as of this post, although it is expected some time this month.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2021, 01:33:24 PM »
Little did I know when I set up the title of this thread back then that Lion Rampant would be having a 2nd Edition, but ... that is the rumor.

Apparently ... new rules, more army lists,  more scenarios.  I've heard other things as well, but that is the best for the moment.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2022, 12:08:35 AM »
Apparently Lion Rampant 2nd Edition will be out on July 21, 2022 ...

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/cat/osprey-games/post/newrampant2022/

And the new Xenos Rampant is next on November 24th, 2022. :icon_eek:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2022, 05:01:07 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing both the revised edition and the new sci-fi edition.

I already use the Lion Rampant rules quite a bit, and hoping that Xenos Rampant works well enough for use with my 40K figures.

By the way, I'm hosting a Friendly Friday Lion Rampant Tourney at Huzzah! 2022 in May.

Also during the game convention, I am featuring Lion Rampant with my Civitate scenario as well on Thursday night and Sunday morning.  This scenario has been play tested around a dozen times, using various orders of battle, and is now in a spot where it is somewhat challenging for the Papal Coalition, although the Normans don't have it easy.  I'm now even using a couple of mixed units on the Papal side, as well as a half sized unit for the Leo IX, switch crossbow units to archers, and have expanded the number of Norman units to continue to be competitive with the Pope's force.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2022, 05:56:25 AM »
I now own both supplements ... the "Crusader States", and "A Viking In The Sun".

Also, have organized my medieval figures into 6 armies ... Flemish, French, German, Italian, Late English, and Norman.

Planning on having 6 more armies as soon as possible ... Spanish, Berbers/Moors, Byzantines, Crusaders, Saladin, and Free Company.

Looking forward to seeing the new 2nd edition rules announced for July of 2022.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2022, 12:45:37 AM »
From the author of the rules himself regarding 2nd editon ...

New material includes optional upgrades for the main troop types, optional battle rules, purchased Leader traits, additional scenarios, two simple campaigns, many more sample armies, and more detail on terrain. Plus clarifications or amendments to some of the rules to make the game clearer or smoother.

This sounds very good. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2022, 02:59:51 PM »
Have received my copy of 2nd Edition.  Only reviewed through it quickly though.  Looking for a more thorough review at some point. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::