home

Author Topic: Back on the tabletop!  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
Back on the tabletop!
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:13:15 AM »
Finally. Finally me and my friend got around to play with our minis again!

It was a 1500 point Kings of War game
 My elves vs his dwarves.

We found it was tons of fun and played much faster than we could have hoped for!

Feels good to be back
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: Back on the tabletop!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
How much fun is it compared to 9th Age?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:16:01 PM »
I have not tried 9th Age. Me and my friend was considering trying it out but I just cannot get myself to start printing out all those rules!

It is much less rule heavy but retain the tactical dimension. Maneuver is really important and getting the charge too.

But we figured we spent much less time looking up the rules and more time playing than during a game of Warhammer.

Due to fixed unit sizes you do not have to remove minis. When a units nerve breaks they will flee and there is nothing stopping them.
But it can take some time.

Thinking ahead is rewarded and moving poorly can cost you the game. I was too cautious which lead to my heavy cavalry charging one turn later than they could have. It meant they could not engage in time where they would have been most needed, despite turning the flank.

The different missions really changes how you must think. My friend focused on controlling the centre while I more or less went in according to the normal WHFB point match. And I lost because of it.

The rules are easy to carry with you. The expansion Uncharted empires gives more armies, two of which are slanted to give former Bretonnian and Empire players a new home.

I am so positive I consider buying the hardback rulebook to get to know their fluff better.

The funny thing is that when matched up the elves and the dwarves came to life really well despite the "simpler" ruleset. The elves are fast and really skilled, usually getting the charge and also have more accurate shooting.
The dwarves are slow yet well armoured and can weather the charge and countercharge in their own turn.

Alessio have done a great job!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
I'm also a fan, though I have not played nearly as much as I would like...

It is much less rule heavy but retain the tactical dimension. Maneuver is really important and getting the charge too.

But we figured we spent much less time looking up the rules and more time playing than during a game of Warhammer.

Thinking ahead is rewarded and moving poorly can cost you the game. I was too cautious which lead to my heavy cavalry charging one turn later than they could have. It meant they could not engage in time where they would have been most needed, despite turning the flank.

The funny thing is that when matched up the elves and the dwarves came to life really well despite the "simpler" ruleset. The elves are fast and really skilled, usually getting the charge and also have more accurate shooting.
The dwarves are slow yet well armoured and can weather the charge and countercharge in their own turn.

These are the same things I like about the game. I completely misjudged the rules by just reading them. I thought it was going to be awful. But after playing just a few games I see the elegance of the rules.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
Congrats to Mathi on getting in a table top game! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

And thanks for the view point on those rules. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Army of Hochland

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:03:09 AM »
Mathi, I'm in complete agreement. I've only had a few games but I've greatly enjoyed each one much more than I ever did with Warhammer.