home

Author Topic: Non-Discworld Stuff - It must be early morning.  (Read 6065 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Summer has arrived! : )
Re: Non-Discworld Stuff - Discworld OrK OOK NOT?
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »
Looks in line with your other Discworld items, congrats! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline JAK

Re: Non-Discworld Stuff - Bacon and Page at the Bridge
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2022, 07:20:44 PM »
Due to the time it was taking my GS work to set on the Tenth Foot I dug these figures out of the 2Do box to keep me occupied.

They were freebie sprue given away by Wargames Illustrated magazine and made by Wargames Factory.

They are well sculpted, but in a style totally different to GW which took a bit of getting used to. Every thing is done to a true scale so no 3Ē thick straps and Iíll never be able to drill out the rifle bores. The only thing I thought was poor was the hammers on the rifle locks which which seem over large, have little detail and extend over half the barrel Ė Other than thinning them down a little Iíve left as they are.

They come with a number of extra parts which you initially think gives you a lot of build options but this is not so.

There are 2 figures in coat with 13 arm options.

There are 3 figures in shirts with 7 arm options.

There are 5 figures in hunting jackets with 19 arm options.

Not an area of history I know much about so I expected the Hunters to have all the long rifles but only 2 of their arms are modelled with these weapons, 2 are with coat sleeves and a 5th with a shirt sleeve. The rest of the weapons are normal sized muskets of which there are 13 modelled with arms and 2 unheld. There are 2 options each for an officer with a sword and a bugler, as either a hunter or a civilian.

There is flash on all parts but its not as obvious as that on GW stuff, however with the fine sculpting you have to be more careful removing it so not to damage the detail. I didnít think it was small enough that it would be hidden once painted. The head and hats are the worst for offenders. There are no location points for the heads on the bodies so care is needed to get them in the right place and for some reason the joints are designed so that they all end up looking at the ground. The tricorn hats suffer with moulding limitations and look solid rather than a bowl with the sides turned up. A bit of work with a knife and Iím happier with them.

They are built more or less as the manufacturer intended, although 4 hunters now have a long rifle, 2 with hand transplants and the forth I spliced a long barrel onto a musket stock. Not sure where the drum and flag staff came from but it was some historical army of around the correct period.

I built these with the intention of having a play with GWís Contrast Paints. Iíve had a few of them since their introduction and have used them as washes so this was going to be a chance to actually used them as GW intended.

Iíve not really thought about how they are going to be based, it will just be a display piece and as Iíve had to hide my paints in a cold spot Iíve a few months to think about this.

Time to return to the 2Do box and see if Iíve enough parts to build something worthwhile.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
Re: Non-Discworld Stuff - Bacon and Page at the Bridge
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »
Interetsing to see.  Looks like Amer Rev War figures, maybe for colonial militia or rifle units for the longer guns.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline JAK

Re: Non-Discworld Stuff - It must be early morning.
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2022, 01:43:16 PM »
To keep me occupied until the weather gets a little cooler and I can start using my paints again. Some more freebie sprues made by Wargames Factory and given away in Wargames Illustrated magazine over the past year or so.

Like the Americans before they feel different to work on compared to the usual fantasy fodder I work with.

As you can see there are plenty of options on each sprue and each right arm is different, after that Iíd be disappointed if Iíd bought a Zulu army. They make three different boxes of native warriors types but they all use the same base sprue with the same four bodies with a slight variation of weapons and different headdresses. I had sprues from two different boxes and as the sprues have eight heads I can at least have them from the same unit. There were only 4 different shields between the 2 sprues, I converted 2 of them but still had to use a duplicate one to finish the group.

Two faults with the design of the figures.  The moulding of plastic doesnít allow undercuts so the loincloths look strange on some of the figures. I used a knife to cut and scrape away some of the plastic. The arms attach just above the elbow and they have what is meant to be a cloth arm band to hide and support the join. These arm bands are over thick and badly sculpted in places.

You donít get much option with the British sprue, just 4 figures, 6 heads and 4 rifles Ė 2 firing, 1 loading and 1 presenting.

Not sure what Iíll do with them now, probably some sort of a diorama in the future but who knows when.

Iíve also found some Bolt Action sprues (US and German) from same manufacturer and magazine but theyíre not from same period/theatre of war so canít combine them in any historical way. I donít know the rules either Ė is 6 men sufficient for a squad in this game?
Otherwise I might just build them for fun (have instructions on how to depict a bazooka being fired) Ė also Wargames Illustrated is giving another BA sprue away in September, a choice from 4 different armies  - might wait and see if any of these can be combined with what I have.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
Re: Non-Discworld Stuff - It must be early morning.
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2022, 04:32:28 PM »
As with many historical figure sets, it can pay not try to making everything that is wanted from one kit.

Not very familiar with Bolt Action.  I know what it is, but it's not a favorite.  However, 6 figures isn't probably enough for any WW2 skirmish games that I know of.  Most squads historically were in the 8 to 11 starting range, depending on what country and how many hadn't been killed or wounded yet.