home

Author Topic: Empire Town project - scenery  (Read 17183 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Empire Town project - scenery
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2021, 12:42:37 AM »
Outstanding! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Keep bringing back more. :icon_mrgreen:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2021, 07:52:35 PM »
Excellent, excellent!

Love the atmosphere of the smithy - and the whole town.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2021, 12:32:08 AM »
That blacksmith shop is awesome! Looks really good.
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline elsmallo

• Members
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »
That blacksmith shop is awesome! Looks really good.

Excellent, excellent!

Love the atmosphere of the smithy - and the whole town.

-Z

Outstanding! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Keep bringing back more. :icon_mrgreen:

Great job on the blacksmith :eusa_clap:

Thanks very much all. It's been most enjoyable documenting this project here and without it and such encouragement I'd almost certainly have given up by now  :::cheers:::

Quote elsmallo: smug and pleased with my efforts so far.

I would feel this plus cartwheels around the property perimeter and a 10k run as well. (All completely impossible for me to do btw - much like the ability to pull off terrain like this 😺)

Haha!   :biggriin: In 'peacetime' as it were I'm an art teacher and do odd DIY jobs so, this scenery project has been something to get my creative teeth into, as well as being a lockdown time sponge. In fact, since I've started building the scenery in earnest it's been more fulfilling than the painting minis side of the hobby, although, having spent a few weeks on the forge I will probably give my fingers time to recover from the stabbing and glue etc and do a bit of mini painting now.

Also. I lost touch with the hobby for a few years and missed the whole end times/AoS debacle, but in a funny way the fact that the original WFB has kinda passed out of fashion, so to speak, I feel frees it up a bit and allows proper time to be taken, at one's own pace, to realise the childhood dreams. It doesn't need to keep up with the edition changes, new miniature lines, etc, or be driven by whatever pace GW is setting.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2021, 01:15:54 AM »
What miniatures are you planning to paint :icon_question:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2021, 11:03:13 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:06:59 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline elsmallo

• Members
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2021, 11:30:09 PM »
I've not posted here in a few months - I've been warhammer-ing as usual amongst the other hobbies but I've got the mordheim bug again and also been finishing and painting up some regiments in the backlog, both of which have involved spending too much money on eBay. I also find the terrain pieces require more and more courage to start now. But with some time off I've made a start on a new piece for the town, detailed below.

When I started building my own doors and windows one of the earlier things I made was a big round-topped gate, so I thought I'd finally get round to using it and build the gatehouse. This was the gate:

This would mean I could join the two wall sections I have already, maybe making it usable in a siege battle (if I can understand the rules). I wanted the door to be openable, however, and as it was originally made as a one-part mold, it has no reverse side. So I sanded down the reverse of two of my doors to make them slimmer, glued them together, cut in two and tidied up, and I had my two-sided (and still thick) door. Attached to cocktail sticks I figured I could find a way of making it move. I didn't photo this so you'll have to take my word for it.

I originally also wanted a portcullis. I've been reading the Gotrek and Felix books and increasingly feel I'd be unsafe in the warhammer world without a portcullis. Or with one, frankly. However, I couldn't figure out a way of making that openable/liftable easily as well, so in the end shelved this idea. Some of my original ideas were quite ambitious, they got shelved too:

I ended up settling for something a little less ambitious:

To begin, then, I simply cut down my base, two small bits of pinewood for the two wall sections, and went about constructing the main wall of the gatehouse out of card:

To make it open, I needed to cut away parts of the wall surrounding the door to allow the cocktail stick hinges and the door to swing fully open. This required some shivving with the craft knife after the door had gone in, since I wasn't clever enough to figure it out beforehand.

Anyway it worked OK and here you can see the door open and closed, also with some plasticard brick texture onto the walls.

This was my first afternoon of building, and when I returned the next day I added some of the walkways, wooden construction of the floor above the gate, etc. This was all coffee stirrers, some polystyrene, bits of discarded DIY softwood etc. I have a big bag of the stuff, although I'm nearly through the really useful 'beam' sized bits now. The metal post is I think from an 80s bretonnian siege engine, off eBay, of course.

One one side there's a stair going up from the wall and the other there's a ladder. There is a little door hidden behind the main gate, which I've since realised is a really stupid place for it as you'd never be able to get in or out with the main gate open, but, there we are.

I decided to make the roof separate to make it easier to fit models in and out of there. The little crow/raven/magpie with the key is from one of the new Broken Realms boxes (I just bought some bits separately on eBay)

The next stage is filling any cracks, adding texture. I used too much sand in my filler/glue/sand mix this time so the plaster texture is a little claggy. I hope it'll look OK when painted. It's a messy stage and I rushed it a bit.

I also used the Mantic wagon I'd got in the terraincrate set and added some GW wheels to it as the originals (like many of the mantic pieces I got) were badly warped and bendy. I added some bottles from I guess an Empire kit; someone has evidently been or intends to have a drink there.

The next day I undercoated. I'm almost out of ArmyPainter brown so mostly grey went on.

That's where I am atm. I probably won't be able to paint for a few days but I shall of course post here when I'm done  :smile2:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2021, 12:30:44 AM »
Good to see another one of your scenery projects, thank you, and congrats! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline elsmallo

• Members
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
Good to see another one of your scenery projects, thank you, and congrats! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Many thanks, sir!  :-P

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »
Great job on the wagon

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2021, 04:10:03 PM »
Completely and totally awesome on every level. Looking forward to be braindazed by the painting 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline elsmallo

• Members
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
Great job on the wagon
Completely and totally awesome on every level. Looking forward to be braindazed by the painting 😺

Many thanks both  :smile2:

Here are some painted shots of the gate; I actually had it painted by the end of June but have been slow in going through my camera and phone stuff. I do my painting and modelling in the conservatory at my home and when it's hot, as it has been to extreme levels occasionally this summer, it's a no-go zone as it's unbearable in there. So next year I will look to find another spot to do modelling in maybe.

Here is the painted gate section, with the door closed...

And open!

It's really quite satisfying to open and close - I'm genuinely pleased that I've managed to introduce interactive elements into the buildings as I've gone on with the project. Although, I suspect that one day the cocktail sticks will break and I'll have to bodge it with glue somehow.

What doesn't work quite so well is the removable roof - it fits fine but I keep forgetting that it's not fixed on, and it has therefore been dropped several times and the little bird keeps getting knocked off  :oops: so has already been pinned and glued back on more than once.

Anyway, I hope it'll pay off in terms of being able to reposition models inside the roof section. There's a little wheel thing in there which I think is from an old dwarf or orc siege engine of some sort. I gues it opens the door.

Finally, some shots of all the buildings together. The wall now spans the width of my dining table.

Most excitingly of all, the wall sections fit perfectly into some plastic storage boxes I bought in B&Q, pleasing the perfectionist in me no end! Also, I will be able to transport and store it all neatly, which is good.

I've already started building some more wall sections to fill the box! These will be angled, so the wall can be turned to more of a semi-circle. They're actually nearly done so I'll post them soon hopefully. Once again, thanks for reading and all the encouragement.  :biggriin:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2021, 10:01:09 PM »
This way more greatness comes! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2021, 07:45:25 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:05:02 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline elsmallo

• Members
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2022, 09:36:53 PM »
Time passes alarmingly fast: I posted here in August saying I'd put new things up 'soon' and lo and behold it is February... nice though it possibly is that we are heading out of restrictions etc, I do quite miss the first, sunny lockdown of 2020 when I had time and more time to build scenery and paint models.

Anyhow. I did in fact build more scenery for my town project last year but since my work has picked up again I've only recently - during a bout of bronchitis - had the chance to actually finish painting it!

I built some 'corner' pieces for my town wall - so that the wall can begin to curve, constructed so as various configurations can be made with them. I started by cutting down two bits of thin base board with angled sides. One would be a simple single storey wall piece with some little market stalls on the inside, and the other a more involved watch tower of some kind.

The market uses bits from the Mantic terraincrate and the watchtower a door section from I think the Empire manor kit, as well as my usual combo of cardboard, coffee stirrers and wood offcuts.

The watchtower has a wooden roof section for the look-outs - unfortunately when I put the roof on it becomes more difficult to squeeze the minis in they have to go in sideways  :-D - anyway it can be done - and after that the usual combo of filler, sand, and also some modelling clay to model the walls and texture everything.

By September last year I'd gotten as far as a base coat of paint and then nothing for four+ months, aside from a bit of miniature painting.

Only a weekend or so ago while I was suffering I got them out of their box again and finished the job:

Which I am pleased to have done. On their own they are good, there are some details like the bell and pulley and the creeper vine which I like; the market stall needs its stalls and produce painted when I can work out which bits box they're in, but when these pieces are placed with the other bits of the wall that's when it starts to get more fun...

Either side of the gate section you start to get a curve inward, which can be expanded with the other two straight sections, or:

Placed together you get a turn almost 90 degrees, with the potential to corner off part of the battlefield, and fit some buildings in the enclosed space. Which I will do when I can be bothered to get them all out of the box. And when I get round to painting the villagers minis I've been collecting for years, and the town guard regiments I have planned, there will be some potential for scenes and general fun inside the walls themselves:

Hopefully I won't have to wait months before doing this. I'd really like to play a siege game using what I've got now. One day I hope to have a few more pieces done, some scatter terrain for the town, and the villager minis all done so some kind of massive game could be put together. It'd be great to have the scenery used by others as well. All hopefully to look forward to and expect an update at some point, thanks again for reading!

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2022, 08:45:07 PM »
wow, so good!

There is a certain charm to handmade from scratch that 3d printing just can't reach.

What's the plan for the 'inside' in terms of ground cover? Each building or piece of scatter would sit on it's own base with a bit of pavement? but then since the shape of the base along the wall is quite irregular, won't there be unsightly gaps to the table below?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2022, 11:25:10 AM »
This is quite good! I love how you even took pains to stain the white walls to make them look like they've been up for a while.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2022, 11:38:12 AM »
Spectacular!  I like the alarm bell, and the outhouse put along side the tower, too.  Those final pictures look super!

Hand made is such a special way to do these things, thank you for sharing!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :icon_lol: :eusa_clap:

Offline elsmallo

• Members
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2022, 10:24:18 AM »
wow, so good!

There is a certain charm to handmade from scratch that 3d printing just can't reach.

What's the plan for the 'inside' in terms of ground cover? Each building or piece of scatter would sit on it's own base with a bit of pavement? but then since the shape of the base along the wall is quite irregular, won't there be unsightly gaps to the table below?

Thanks very much!

Re. the inside, or ground cover, this is the part of the project I'm least certain about. When I started building it was pretty much 'can I build houses out of cardboard boxes' and as it grew bigger I was not thinking much about the floor areas or building the bases with any future plan in mind. So, as you say, I have these different shaped bases and, as I'd like the terrain to be flexible in how it is posed, and I've also pretty randomly added flagstones and debris into the bases, I can't really picture a seamless way of integrating a floor into it all. Atm I just play battles on a tabletop with a few coloured sheets on it; I guess I'd like eventually to have some textured boards to make a larger playing surface, so I guess I could sculpt flagstones on one of those and colour it similarly to my bases as a 'town' board - although since the shape of the town wall is supposed to be variable, it'd never be totally perfect.

I've seen things like rolled up battlemats and printed sheets which can look quite good in photos, but as I've never seen them with my own eyes I'm not certain. This is the part of the project I'm least sure of as I say, so any suggestions are appreciated! I'd like to get to a stage where I could have a set of nice photos with the floor not being jarring visually at least.

Spectacular!  I like the alarm bell, and the outhouse put along side the tower, too.  Those final pictures look super!

Hand made is such a special way to do these things, thank you for sharing!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :icon_lol: :eusa_clap:

Thank you very much! The bell was bodged with various bits, I think from the plastic giant model mainly. Maybe I'll make a little guardsman heading to the outhouse at some point too!

This is quite good! I love how you even took pains to stain the white walls to make them look like they've been up for a while.

Cheers - yes the idea here is a town which is not particularly grand or wealthy, it's a bit grubby and probably ripe for sacking, tbh. They haven't even repaired the damage to the walls yet..!

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »
yes, it is always a tough compromise between looks and modularity. I think you could make enough cobblestone base (be it flat prints or mats or rolled-out milliput sculpting work) to cover the ground for most of the city (and just place your buildings on top) and then strategically place fences, hedges and other miscellaneous scatter to cover the most unsightly spots.

We decided to do buildings on 8x8" squares (and have a few 'loose' building without any base as well as plain squares to break things up). Like so (very WIP):

This is the town first, walls latter approach. The plan for the walls is to put them on 8x4 strips (and towers on 4x4). but it means there is much less creative space and no margin for wonky angles and much of the charming ramshackle-ness that your built has.

Shameless plug:

http://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/951/volganof-burning-city-siege
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 07:40:05 PM by Naitsabes »

Offline elsmallo

• Members
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2022, 09:29:10 AM »
yes, it is always a tough compromise between looks and modularity. I think you could make enough cobblestone base (be it flat prints or mats or rolled-out milliput sculpting work) to cover the ground for most of the city (and just place your buildings on top) and then strategically place fences, hedges and other miscellaneous scatter to cover the most unsightly spots.

We decided to do buildings on 8x8" squares (and have a few 'loose' building without any base as well as plain squares to break things up). Like so (very WIP):

This is the town first, walls latter approach. The plan for the walls is to put them on 8x4 strips (and towers on 4x4). but it means there is much less creative space and no margin for wonky angles and much of the charming ramshackle-ness that your built has.

Shameless plug:

http://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/951/volganof-burning-city-siege

Not shameless at all, I love your project! Really enjoyed reading, interesting to see how we've chosen slightly different but sometimes overlapping approaches to a similar type of project.

Your hirst arts 'ruined tower' piece is particularly impressive - looks great, especially the damaged parts and also the concept of it and the decisions you've made about the architecture of the building, works really well and looks very convincing. If I may say so, I think it is actually way ahead of the 3D printed buildings you've also used - but I can see how building a lot of pieces like it would be extremely time-consuming.

I don't have the space for a 3D printer, but it's been interesting for me whilst making my buildings and researching methods online to watch the gradual expansion of 3D printed terrain and hobby stuff in general. My reservation is largely that so far I think most of the stuff I've seen does have a 'cartoony' look about it, as I think you say in your blog. I can see however how it can work really well for people with different approaches to the hobby, also as a way of sharing the skill of the original creators. I've ended up using methods like making rubber molds and carving things out of clay and filler, which are starting to feel a little dated. A thing I enjoyed reading your blog was the number of different methods you've used, I would certainly have stolen many of them had I seen it earlier.

How far have you gotten with the project since your last post?

Looking just at the top-down picture you shared here, I can see what you mean re. my project and how for my town maybe a number of smallish boards with a texture on them could work placed underneath the buildings. That way I can store them all away in a box and maybe have some with an angled edge or something to match the contour of my walls. That's probably my best option. Thanks for sharing your project and suggestions  :smile2:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2022, 08:19:54 PM »
hey, thanks for the interest.

We've made a little progress. all the buildings in that picture are now painted, and we got the nine cobblestone tiles done to cover 24x24". This project is now largely on hold as we are trying to figure how/where to store all this stuff. Need to build a real shed to store the toy sheds  :icon_confused:

We'll get back to it eventually. In the meantime I shall watch this space for more goodness.

Offline elsmallo

• Members
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2022, 04:58:56 PM »
hey, thanks for the interest.

We've made a little progress. all the buildings in that picture are now painted, and we got the nine cobblestone tiles done to cover 24x24". This project is now largely on hold as we are trying to figure how/where to store all this stuff. Need to build a real shed to store the toy sheds  :icon_confused:

We'll get back to it eventually. In the meantime I shall watch this space for more goodness.

Ah yes, storage does become an issue when attempting to construct an entire medieval town even at 28/32mm scale!

I managed to strike a kind of gold by accidentally making all my wall sections fit lengthways into a plastic storage box I bought in B&Q. The houses don't fit quite as well however, especially the very big ones I built at the start of the project. The very first house I built, when I used it in a game of Warhammer, is especially large, taking up a lot of tabletop space and blocking the gamers eyeling a bit much; it's also unweildy to store. So with great regret I decided to rebuild it, partly.

Here is the house originally. Kinda like it but the first storey up is/was essentially a big box with a roof:

So I hacked it off  ::heretic:::

And rebuilt it with a smaller first floor, including a balcony on which a 20mm base will fit OK:

It's a bit Romeo and Juliet maybe and, were the ground floor smaller I'd have preffered to have the balcony jutting out over street level but that would not really have reduced the size of the building from the orginal. I didn't want to rebuild the ground floor as I went to great lengths sculpting stonework out of polyfilla, I remember. The chimney pots are, incidentally, cut from the little card tubes in the middle of dog poo bag rolls.

I've painted this up but not yet photo'd; I'm building a final house currently which will fit into the final space in my other large storage box. I'll post about that soonish. :dry:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2022, 08:11:49 AM »
Juliet's father went to a lot of trouble to improve his home with the balcony. Suspect his neighbors were saying, "What is Lord Capulet doing?" :icon_eek: :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Seriously, it looks good! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

By the way, the real question ... what is B&P?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2022, 01:31:50 PM »
That's a great scratchbuild!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.