home

Author Topic: Vallejo Plastic Putty vs GW Liquid Greenstuff  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Vallejo Plastic Putty vs GW Liquid Greenstuff
« on: October 27, 2021, 05:05:26 PM »
Does anybody have any experience using/comparing these two?

I have a unit of handgunners where I drilled the gun barrels using a handheld pin-vice, but some of them are a bit wonky and not central. Since then I got myself a battery powered drill a bit like a dremel so drilling barrels has become much more accurate and uniform.

Therefore I'm wanting to back-fill the crappy holes in gun barrels, smooth them off and then re-drill with more accuracy for a better result.

I have got liquid GS but feel it'd be a pain trying to get it where it needs to go, but the Vallejo stuff comes in a tube with a thin nozzle so could get straight in where I need it.

Can anybody attest to whether it's any good? Does it set nice and solid? Could I sand and drill it without issue?

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed :::cheers:::

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
Re: Vallejo Plastic Putty vs GW Liquid Greenstuff
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 05:50:30 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:57:50 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 06:19:59 PM »
Not personal experience, but I've heard from several people that the Vallejo putty actually does what the Liquid 'stuff claims to do but doesn't.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 09:39:31 PM »
Not personal experience, but I've heard from several people that the Vallejo putty actually does what the Liquid 'stuff claims to do but doesn't.

-Z

Hmm ok, thanks for the info Zyg.

Got to admit the liquid GS is a bit temperamental and if trying to use it to add detail rather than just filling gaps it has a habit of just flaking off.

I think I'll get me some and give it a go  :::cheers:::

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »
I have minor experience with liquid greenstuff. I've been thinking of buying it again but I might as well try the putty. Will keep you informed of the process.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Online The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 11:18:33 AM »
I have been using both and of the two I would say that Vallejo is vastly better. Liquid green stuff has a horrible shrinkage problem when it sets, basically nullifying all of your work. The putty also has some shrinkage but much less. I would say you can drill in it, but sanding would be a problem, as I've discovered it has this slightly rubbery quality to it after it hardens completely. Not that visible when filling out joints etc. but it's not ideal for large gaps. For gun barrels? I think it should do well.

Cheers.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 09:43:14 PM »
I have been using both and of the two I would say that Vallejo is vastly better. Liquid green stuff has a horrible shrinkage problem when it sets, basically nullifying all of your work. The putty also has some shrinkage but much less. I would say you can drill in it, but sanding would be a problem, as I've discovered it has this slightly rubbery quality to it after it hardens completely. Not that visible when filling out joints etc. but it's not ideal for large gaps. For gun barrels? I think it should do well.

Cheers.

Awesome - thanks for the info @ The Black Knight, very informative.

If I keep things tidy enough at the ends of the barrel hopefully won't need so much filing and fingers crossed it holds strong enough for me to drill out better barrels :::cheers:::

Time to go a-shopping! :biggriin:

Online The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 11:35:03 PM »
Good luck mate! I hope it works out for you  :icon_wink:.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log