home

Author Topic: How do I do bases?!  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
How do I do bases?!
« on: January 16, 2022, 10:30:33 PM »
Good people of the forum - I am a thicko and the internet is big...

Considering I've collected Warhammer for a good chunk of my life I have NEVER really based anything properly, the last time I based something was back in the good old days where bases were Goblin Green and I used Citadel Flock, which I remember used to feel kinda weird, almost like tiny flecks of acrylic paint that was sprinkled all over the bases.

Now I've grown up a bit I'm accutely aware that I never base anything so I'm not going to let myself do that this time around and will actively build in the basing into my process for the painting of my army. Problem is I don't have a clue how to do it well!

Overall aim is to get a decent coverage of grass as opposed to rocks, probably at least 60/40 in favour of grass.

Basic process I've put on paper will be;

1. Add grit/sand (probably a home-made mix with some small stones etc.) using PVA;
2. Paint said grit/sand in an appropriately browny/greyish colour as a base;
3. Add some sort or grass;
4. Occasionally add a larger 'tuft' of grass or flowers, just to add a bit of variety and interest where needed.

I am struggling with step 3. I have looked at both static grass and flock, IMO static grass looks better as a product because it's small strands of 'grass' whereas I think flock looks 'fluffy', but then I've also seen that you need a static grass applicator to work properly?

Does anybody have any insights to offer when it comes to this?

Do you use flock or static grass?
If static grass do you just glue and scatter or do you use a fancy applicator to get it standing on end?

I know it's probably like basing 101 here but I need to know what to buy before I can try! :biggriin:

Offline Tyvw

• Members
Re: How do I do bases?!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 07:36:12 AM »
I think you only need an applicator if you are doing large areas of grass that you want to stand upright. Small patches on a base can be done (atleast that's how I used to to do it) by;

- put on a little bit of pva,
- sprinkle some static grass from ~10cm above it,
- hold the base upside down and tap the bottom (shake of the excess and help it stand upright a little)
- let dry

PVA shrinks whilst drying so as long as the fibres aren't flat down on the glue they will pop up a little.

That being said all the minis I've based over the past 8-9 years have seen very little grass. I'm fairly certain static grass is still the same stuff though, so it should be fine.  An aplicator could be nice if you want to mass produce bases, but I think their main value is for large and unwieldy pieces that you can't 'flip and tap'.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 10:58:46 PM »
Thanks @ Tyvw.

I've looked at this stuff over and over again and I'd already decided to go with the scatter method, I just end up second guessing myself because the internet is full of all sorts of contradictory information and opinions. I need to just make a decision and stick to it me thinks...

SCATTER!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 11:15:21 PM »
Do one unit in one way, probably a small unit.  If you like it, then keep going.  If you don't, then pick another way, or figure out how to improve the first way. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
Here's a video on static grassing bases ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvq3HdaUi54

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 01:33:47 AM »
Here's a video on making scatter trrain, alhtough the principles can be used for making scenic bases as well ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqmYWesal9w

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 06:14:14 AM »
I remember when GW made the switch from mostly green bases to brown. It blew my mind!