home

Author Topic: Just noticed some GW prices  (Read 979 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Just noticed some GW prices
« on: March 14, 2022, 02:02:38 PM »
I havent paid much attention to GW prices since I rarely buy directly from them, so just noticed that a unit of 10 Intercessors is running $60, but a unit of 10 Guardians is $55!?!?!?!?!?

How many Guardians do you need to take on 10 intercessors?

I am really glad I have everything I want from GW, aside what I am getting in my Imperium subscription. There are just some things I will not pay for anymore.

$38 for a Primaris captain???

I'll spring for the 10th starter set when it comes out and some accessories, but the days of keeping up with more than that are gone.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Just noticed some GW prices
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 02:11:42 PM »
It pays to be picky when buying 40K from GW.

I have been noticing more and more folks are getting into 3D printing and some folks are coming up with figures that could easily be crossed inot the 40K realm and for a heck of a lot less money.  My brother has picked up a 3D printer and is using it with his kids to make miniatures. I have a friend that I am going in on for a 3D printer and supplies, he'll be the brains behind getting it going, and I'll help pay for what I am looking to have, although we're eying mostly historicals at the moment.

I'm considering not playing the 40K rules again either, just too much to keep up with these days.  Instead, hoping the Xenos Rampant works well enough for sci-fi.  The whole Rampant system seems ideal for quick and fun games without all the hocus pocus.

"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 03:20:57 PM »
How are they designing their minis? Can they scan an existing mini and make copies?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 05:22:59 PM »
I'm not very familiar with how the 3D printed minis are designed, except probably via computer.

However, scanning and making copies?  :icon_eek:  That sounds like they'd be getting into some series trouble on doing that kind of thing.

Better just to produce something that folks can call space marines if they'd like, and then go paint them, and have some fun on the table top.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 04:05:03 AM »
Yeah, GW had record sales in the last 2 years (apparently being hold up in your home due to a pandemic gets people interested in the hobby) and yet they increase prices as of February 2022 by I think 20%?

On reddit I see many going for 3rd party companies or just 3d printing what they need. There are some good stuff out there if you're into guard. All the other factions have representation in some fashion through 3rd parties but guard really takes the cake in options outside of GW. Sure, if its not all GW parts you can't play at your local GW location, but LGS and friendly games outside of official GW sponsored events don't care.

They're your dudes, this is your hobby, go for what makes you happy.  :happy:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog