home

Author Topic: 6th ED Rules Questions  (Read 1441 times)

Offline azrael88

• Members
6th ED Rules Questions
« on: May 19, 2022, 08:28:27 AM »
Ladz, yesterday we had a battle between Chaos and Dwarfs. My Empire army is next to fight with worshippers of the dark gods.
Two questions on Chaos units:

1. Hellcannon - can it move and fire? Can it move after compulsory move (failed Ld test)?

2. Chariots - chariots freely pivot during movement, but is it the same during charge? Can I make two or three pivots during charge move with chariot to reach my enemy?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:48:28 PM by azrael88 »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: [6th ED Rules Questions regarding Chaos]
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:10:33 PM »
1. The Hellcannon was not in the 6th edition AB, but the Storm of Chaos expansion. I guess that would mean you'll need the approval of your opponent, if you do not play under SoC rules.

It is a war machine, and therefore cannot move or fire. However, it has a 360 degree arc of sight, and can pivot in the Shooting phase towards its target, which does not count as moving. If it has moved in the Compulsory Moves phase, it has moved and thus cannot normally move again, of fire.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 08:02:41 AM »
2. 6th BRB p. 62: "When moving a chariot, simply measure the distance and move it. There is no need to turn or wheel, though the chariot still has to have a line of sight to any enemy it is going to charge. In effect, chariots can face any direction without reduction to movement."
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline azrael88

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 09:17:08 AM »
Thank you, chariots movement rules are clear for now :)

Another question regarding chariot is firing with canon at the chariot.

So, I shot at chariot with hero riding on it. Cannonball hits the chariot and there's no bounce. But it's a direct hit at the chariot. Who's hit? Chariot only? Both chariot and hero? A roll is needed?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 09:45:49 AM »
You roll a D6 and on a 6, the character is hit (page 127).

Offline azrael88

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 11:40:12 AM »
Another question :)

Miscast table, result No5 - wizard cannot use magic in this turn or next turn. It's confusing for me as I am not a native English speaker. Do I have to choose which turn I cannot use magic with this caster? All the time I thought its this turn AND next turn, not one of them.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 12:22:51 PM »
It is both turns. I have got the German edition, which says: "in diesem und dem ganzen nächsten Spielzug" (in this and the full next turn).

Offline azrael88

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 01:09:48 PM »
Thank you! So, my logic is correct, and the wording is not clear, at least for non-English speakers.

German version is very clear here.

Offline azrael88

• Members
Re: 6th ED Rules Questions
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 08:50:47 PM »
Another one, this time units pursuing off the table. Are they allowed to march move when returning at the table? They are not allowed to charge, this is 100% sure. BRB says unit can make a full Move, does it mean a march move also?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 08:57:31 PM »
Yes, a full move includes a march move, unless, of course, other factors would prohibit a march move.

Offline azrael88

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 06:28:14 AM »
OK, so things changed in 7ed, there's no march move after returning at the table. Thanks!

Offline azrael88

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 01:48:58 PM »
Silly one, but give it a try:

Annual 2002 reference sheet - there's a TO HIT chart with different values than BRB, ie. WS5 hits WS4 on 4+ not 3+. Iam confused... was it some kind of misprint?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 02:05:25 PM »
Yes, that should be an error. As far as I can tell, you are the first one to notice.

Offline azrael88

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 09:41:41 PM »
More questions gentlemen :)

What happens when detachment counter charges enemy unit with always strikes first rule? Who gets to fight first?

Always strikes first vs Always Strike last. Which is more important? 7th ed HE Swordmasters are good example.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 04:15:21 PM »
Detachments:  Since unit with ASF  are "even striking before enemies that have charged," the ASF strikes first.

ASF vs. ASL: I am not sure, if this was addressed in 6th. Contrary to ASL, ASF was not a generic BRB special rule in 6th. The rules for Swordmasters for instance specified that they struck in Initiative order, despite having a GW.

In 7th ASF was a generic BRB special rule, which bypassed even ASL.

Q. When two models with the Always Strikes First (ASF) rule are in combat, and one is equipped with a Great Weapon, does the model equipped with the Great Weapon strike last? For example, if a High Elf model with an Initiative value of 6 and equipped with a Great Weapon is fighting against an enemy model with the ASF rule, an Initiative of4, and a hand weapon, who strikes first in the combat?

A. When two models with the ASF rule are fighting, they will strike in descending Initiative order, rolling a dice in case of same Initiative. All other factors, such as charging, great weapons, etc., are ignored, because they have already been bypassed by the ASF rule.

Offline azrael88

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 05:45:25 PM »
Here we go with another question - CR this time.

Dark Elf turn, he declares a charge with Harpies on cannon and Executioners on Swordsmen. Both Empire units declare hold.
First charge Harpies, they slash through cannon' crew and overrun right into swordsmen flank!
Second charge Executioners. They kill only two swordsmen, imperial soldiers strike back and manage to kill one Elf.

Question - do Harpies (now on flank of swordsmen unit, count as charging in the following turn) count towards CR in Executioners vs Swordsmen fight?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 09:51:26 PM »
Contrary to 7th & 8th edition, combat after overrun is always resolved in the next turn. Hence, the Harpies do not affect combat resolution this turn in any way.

Offline azrael88

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 12:19:14 PM »
Thank you Fidels. This is the way we resolved this combat, I discussed it with my opponent who believed Harpies should add their number to CR and get +1 for flank attack. My logic was based on Gav Thorpe's article on combat result.

Anyway, my 25 swordsmen with 10 man militia detachement managed to break and hack to the ground 20 Executioners and 10 Harpies. Lucky guys :)