home

Author Topic: Well I can't believe I am doing this  (Read 1370 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Well I can't believe I am doing this
« on: June 01, 2022, 12:33:11 AM »
Rant time. So I feel that urge to downsize the collection, and some of my WFB stuff is on the chopping block.

When I first got into this hobby, I settled on 6th ed being my main ruleset and guide to collect armies, and as some of you might remember went out and hunted down all of the Battalion sets for all of the factions, plus some other stuff to give me about 1000+ for each army. But I also had bought the starters for 6th, 7th, and 8th, so I had more for some.

Then I was lucky and scored 4th and 5th edition starters and enthusiastically set out to dive into the roots of WFB, something I completely missed out on. Sometime after that, I decided to focus my hobby around starter sets to trim down a lot of those extras that I bought. So essentially building an painting up the models included in the starters sets, along with whatever other models scenarios might mention or whatever. Like buying all of the models for Battle for Maugthrond Pass for 4th, or expanding the 40k 4th edition set so I had all of the units for The Battle Rages On. So this way I could cap my collection and all the models had some purpose. There is no going back from this.

I know the Battalion set models are far superior than their starter set counterparts, but I really prefer the starter models to capture that feel in the set. So I ended up selling my Dwarf and Skaven Battalions since many of the models were in my 7th and 8th sets. Now I have the itch to let some more go. And since I have 4th and 5th edition now, I am really not keen on building and painting up separate legacy and modern Lizardman armies. I would just prefer to do the 5th one, not just because the fact many of the models are in the starter, but I do like the aesthetics of the period as they have character and are different. I know the newer models are superior, but in this case I am happy to keep the 5th ones since they came in the starter. And at the same time, I know the 5th edition Bretonnians are terrible, so the fact that I am considering selling the Battalion set and all I got in addition is surprising and making me questioning if its the right thing.

So for my starter armies I have:

High Elves
Goblins
Bretonnians
Lizardmen
Empire
Orcs

*I also collected a 1000 point Empire army using 4th edition models. I just loved their character and wanted some from that time period.

Keep in mind in the list above I do have additional units from the period supplementing the starter armies.

So the Battalion sets (with supporting units) I have left:

Empire
Orcs and Goblins
Bretonnians
Lizardmen
High Elves
Wood Elves
Dark Elves
Chaos Warriors
Chaos Daemons
Beastmen
Vampire Counts
Tomb Kings
Ogre Kingdoms

I really want to keep the Empire Battalion, Chaos Warriors, Beastmen, Vampire Counts, Dark Elves, and Wood Elves. I am not as enthusiastic about painting up a later period High Elves army after knocking out a 4th. And some armies, like the Wood Elves, are really interesting to me. And then there are some which I do think are cool, like the Daemons and Tomb Kings, but I am not sure I'll ever get around to them. Daemons marching in formation seems ridiculous to me anyway despite how cool the models are.

I have spent a lot of money on some of these guys. Like getting a box of the Tomb Guard. Jesus. Or any of the Bretonnian stuff. The later Bretonnians might be some of the best models in the game, but 1000 point army of them doesn't do much beyond what finishing a 5th edition army would do. I don't want 2000 points of Bretonnians. I really do not want a ton of Orcs and Goblins either, and I am damn well near 3000 points between 2 starters and a battalion set + extras. Even though I love the Orcs.

If I let these go, I am not going after them again. Not at todays prices. I was lucky to get everything when I did. But I also have so many interests that even if I retired from work now, and banged out hobby stuff 24/7, I am not sure I would get it all done. They are mostly there INCASE I want them.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Well I can't believe I am doing this
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:23:26 AM »
And at this stage, I'd keep them, just in case.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra