home

Author Topic: Magic Banners  (Read 18143 times)

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
Re: Magic Banners
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
Yes but my point was, that some people might think that because technically the detachment is part of the unit, they could charge the detachment instead of the parent when they're forced to charge.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
Make that a multiple unit banner and I might actually bother with detatchments.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 01:08:25 PM »
Make that a multiple unit banner and I might actually bother with detatchments.

Detachments are great, alone that they don´t cause panic makes them worthwhile. You have units to use as speed bumps and bait that won´t panic your other regiments.

Offline The Dice-Shaman

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 07:08:21 AM »
Gryphon Standard: Make it 50 points

Yes!  Fix that 5 point slap in the face that makes it so the 'General's Heirloom' can't be given to our state troops without a captain.

Need more Psychology stuff, and nothing weak like "they cause fear when they charge" which doesn't actually help them charge fear causing units at all!  As usual, a big thanks to Grahm (may his soul rot in the 7th hell forever...)
If your Speculum falls into a river of lava, don't reach in after it.  It's already gone bro...

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 03:53:29 PM »
I think our magic banner choices are basically terrible.

Someone was saying Greatswords should get a built in free magic banner option. I though it was a good idea and very fluffy until I realized there was no banner I'd really give them. They can't take Imperial or gryphon. They already cause stubborn. Making a small elite unit cause fear isn't terrible helpful.

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »
Though the Standard of Arcane Warding is pretty useful. MR 2... I'd take it.  :engel:

-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »
Though the Standard of Arcane Warding is pretty useful. MR 2... I'd take it.  :engel:

-The General

You could say you'd take MR2 any day...
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 12:34:46 AM »
Banner of morr: causes fear in all undead, demonic and forest spirit troops. -D3 to combat resolution to any units (living or otherwise) in combat with the unit carrying it.  35 pts

"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline Empireguard

• Members
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »
150pt banner- makes unit (but not character holding) unbreakable and all units within 12" stubborn.

Ok so a banner that make a unit unbreakable but the charter not, so the character has to leave the unit as he can’t join an unbreakable unit, so the unit is no longer unbreakable, so he can join it but once he does he has to leave it, so its not... well you get my point.

Banner of morr: causes fear in all undead, demonic and forest spirit troops. -D3 to combat resolution to any units (living or otherwise) in combat with the unit carrying it.  35 pts

The fear part is most useless unless you are just trying to gain fearlessness form those unit types. Also it’s too cheap

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:27:51 AM by Empireguard »
Please help create a comprehensive data base of every Wargaming model ever made by clicking here.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 02:57:37 AM »
no it would be a special rule in the game that undead types actually fear the banner, and unit carrying it, besides carrying unit's benefit of being now immune to fear themselves.  Note that this would really have no effect at all against any other fear causing unit type such as ogres. 

So what do you think a banner like this would be worth considering it's limited use.

Undead/demons/forest spirits who fear of course would suffer combat rez type casualties or possibly not be able to charge.
"DEfighter wrote:

Offline Empireguard

• Members
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 04:02:17 AM »
Its the -D3 to combat resolution to any units (living or otherwise) in combat with the unit carrying it that’s the issue. If your unit is in combat with two unit you could get an extra +6 to combat res and that is really really good.  A war banner is 25pts and that only gives +1, the griffon is 1-3 and that cost 55pts. Just for the –d3 to combat res would have to be 50pts min.

Really negatives to combat res will also make some really confusing issues your better of with positives to your side. Also I don’t know how fear would work with undead even if made a rule that they could be effected.

How about this
Banner of morr 40pts

The Unit is always considered to outnumber the enemy. So always gains+1 combat res for out numbering, do not auto run from fear causes...etc

In addition all undead, ethereal, demonic and forest spirit troops in base contact with the unit suffer one S1 hit per turn, Save may be taken as normal. All wound count towards combat res.

the S1 hits will need 6 to wound and people get saves so your looking at maybe 1 dead model turn. It’s not “Fear” against undead but it is affecting them and it will make a Vamp general think twice before charge into that unit (unless the unit has T5). After all they are suffering guaranteed hits, No wiping out the first rank so no chance of attacks back.

Please help create a comprehensive data base of every Wargaming model ever made by clicking here.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »
hmmm make it 45 points and S-2 hits each in the wording so that opponents are not confused about if it is the unit that gets a hit or the individual model, and I think we have a new banner.
"DEfighter wrote:

Offline Empireguard

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »
hmmm make it 45 points and S-2 hits each in the wording so that opponents are not confused about if it is the unit that gets a hit or the individual model, and I think we have a new banner.

Yes I suppose with S2 even Vamp lord with think twice before charging and reword with “look out sir rolls to be taken as normal, as well as all saves to be taken as per normal” so people know. Also hits against mounted models are randomised as per shooting (so 1-4 mount 5-6 character).

Its good but not too good but will help mostly against Undead and demon army which are, well over powered anyway so deserve it :p

Edit: forgot to say hits are magical 

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »
I really like the OP's suggestions, especially regarding the Griffon, Deamonslayer, and Sigismund banners.  :eusa_clap:

And there are so many fluffy, good banner suggestions. I think most of them are a few (5-10) points too cheap, but by and large good.  :eusa_clap:

Reworking the banners we have would satisfy me, however. Simple things like the Banner of valour(?): make it the banner of immune to panic and fear, same or small change in point cost.

Banner of re-roll rally becomes more expensive and re-roll panic and rally.

The most outrageous: Armywide rule: all detachments gain the benefit (or some more minor benefit) of their parent's banner if in close support.
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 01:00:30 PM »
The banner from the ravaging hordes is also quite nice and fits the empire

I think it was 30 points and granted +1 armour save so Greatswords would become 3+ AS our knights even 0+

Offline pelcu

• Members
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 11:21:16 PM »
I like Always Strike Back rule for banner... It would be very good
(not nasty) for Greatswords or for Halberdiers units.

Sigmar's Blessed Banner- All missiles are magic missiles. How many of you use Standardberer  for Crossbowmen or for Handgunners ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:45:24 PM by pelcu »

Offline Von Falster

• Members
  • Veni, vedi, vici.
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 08:58:35 PM »
Since the Imperial Banner is now useless in 8th, it would be good if it gave +1 CR to all friendly imperial units within 12".
Eight will be remembered as the time of the Empire.

Mark my words.

Offline GambitGriffin

• Members
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 06:56:40 PM »
Some kind of banner that gives the unit hatred would be nice.

Offline Jivaine SkyWing II

• Members
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
Put a warrior priest in the unit and that should do the trick, but too bad that they don't have hatred versus anyone who is not empire.  Would be great for sure.

Yes, standard of arcane warding is now very good, as the MR 2 gives a 5+ wardsave in combat hehehe...

Offline Scarr Gunliner

• Members
  • BRB at hand. If you want tactics, choose tactics.
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 04:35:26 PM »
it's against wounds caused by spells so it would not be in combat unless a spell is cast on the unit.

scarr
Although quite low, Marius look high and strong in his power. He has a worn hat on his head, which big folds fall down over his ears. He has a long grey cape that hangs over his body and makes it impossible to identify him without taking it off. His body is covered in fur and his hands is ethereal.