home

Author Topic: Empire Knights  (Read 6705 times)

Offline kermitthefrog3

• Members
  • For The Emperor!
Empire Knights
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »
A qutoe from WD

Knightly Orders

"Knights of the Empire are rightly feared as some of the best Shock Cavalry in the game."

I'm sorry, but when do people EVER use Empire knights to charge anything.

People only seem to take them to fill up core choices because they dont die very much. I seem to be one of the last people on earth who uses an IC unit with a WP, even then theyre very expensive are are still lacking.

Give us a Proper Shock Knight Unit.

List IC knights as a separate special choice at WS5 and STR 4, ITP and give thier horses STR 4 on the charge, instead of giving the knights an extra attack.

This sounds like a lot, but Dark Elf Cold one Knights get WS5, STR 4, hatred, Fear and STR 4 hatred mounts all for 27points, the only disadvantages they have are Stupidity at LD9 and a 2+ SV.

On this basis, Price IC knights at about 31 points
''There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons''

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: Empire Knights
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »
I charge a lot with my knights. Just park 'em in a flank of an already engaged unit and enjoy the fun!

We're HUMANS. H-U-M-A-N-S. We shouldn't get sicko stats. But our knights can kick some ares, put you'd be putting your eggs in one basket: 9 IC with a GM, WP and BSB.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Lord Maurice Thayer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 02:56:14 PM »
properly sized a unit of knights (with a character) can charge and break a unit... a little point expensive, maybe for an empire army, but they arent that different from bretonnian knights (stat wise), you just need to have the right formation and target...
try 11 knights with full cmd and 1 captain, line them up in a 6x2 and dont forget your battle banner, the 10 attacks (or more depending on cpt's magic items) and 3 CR you will get for rank, banner and magic banner should be enough to break most units on a charge...
Well if the empire is gonna get all those upgrades you want, then my gobbos want S4, T4, and A2... that would be as balanced as your new halberds and other rules...

Glory for Stirland!!!

Offline Mr.Carloff

• Members
  • The haughty adventurer.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
properly sized a unit of knights (with a character) can charge and break a unit... a little point expensive, maybe for an empire army, but they arent that different from bretonnian knights (stat wise), you just need to have the right formation and target...
try 11 knights with full cmd and 1 captain, line them up in a 6x2 and dont forget your battle banner, the 10 attacks (or more depending on cpt's magic items) and 3 CR you will get for rank, banner and magic banner should be enough to break most units on a charge...

11 Knightly Orders @ 318 Pts
Musician
War Banner [25]
Preceptor @ [16] Pts

Captain @ 112 Pts
     Barding; Full Plate Armor; Warhorse
     Sword of Might [15]
     Icon of Magnus [25]

Total Army Cost: 430

:icon_lol:
"... Fear not the Steam Tank or Hochland long rifle, for the roaring drunk halberdiers are more dangerous, and infinitely more common - in all sense of the word."
- Sir Gilbert de Arnaud, "Letters Ho

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:16 PM »
my 6 IC knights and warrior priest broke a halberd unit charging them in the front.
Not sure if that says more about IC knights or Halberds...
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 06:44:42 AM »
my 6 IC knights and warrior priest broke a halberd unit charging them in the front.
Not sure if that says more about IC knights or Halberds...
Luck, that's what that's about :)

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »
my knights break units fairly often.   Knights are still a powerful unit on the charge given that they are dishing out 6 s5 attacks and if you add a warrior priest they are re rolling their to hits.   I think any upgrade would just make them overpowered.   They are perfect the way they are

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »
First off, Knights should never be a 'core' choice in any army.
This goes completely against the very concept of what a 'Knight' is.

Second, the reason why so few people use them as the 'shock troops' they rightfully should be is because they're not so very 'shocking' against the tricked-out über-armored super-extra elite units the opposing army consists of - which are, wouldn't you know it.....'core choices'........

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:25:09 AM »
Why? The knight choice we do have sucks so badly they are only armoured, mobile state troops.
Our knights are used as flankers, diversionary units and at a pinch, to hold the enemy. Nothing else will justify them in any other role.

I read that part about the empire knights and couldn't help laughing for at least ten minutes. . . then I realised why i was laughing and began to cry.
The best knights in our glorious empire are ridiculed by our very own players.
*sniff*

The Empire knightly class has one thing going for them. a 1+ save.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »
The Empire knightly class has one thing going for them. a 1+ save.
Which is very good. For the future, can you stop reviving and not adding anything constructive at all? You've been doing it quite a lot lately, and all you ever say is 'I agree.' Threadomancy is not really appreciated, as it's just plain annoying.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 05:37:18 PM »
How does 4 days constitute threadomancy?
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 05:43:41 PM »
How does 4 days constitute threadomancy?
Fine, fine, 'bad example'. Let me put it this way: reviving one four day (most of the time they're older though) old thread is okay, a little annoying, but okay. Doing that to three threads every day is just messed up.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
ok Obi, I apologize if i was threadomancying.
I simply had nothing to do for an hour yesterday.

Any comments I make I will think about them and provide a structured and opinionated response instead of simply saying the same things over and over again.

I didn't really mean to.
 :icon_redface:
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
I'd like to see the knights with a + to S and WS while retaining their inner circle up grade and other weapon options.  Hell i'd even be willing to pay extra for them.

I'd also like to see the different orders get different psychology rules like hatred for  the Panthers, stubborn for the Reiks, frenzy maybe for Blazing Sun. 
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 12:36:30 AM »
ok Obi, I apologize if i was threadomancying.
I simply had nothing to do for an hour yesterday.

Any comments I make I will think about them and provide a structured and opinionated response instead of simply saying the same things over and over again.

I didn't really mean to.
 :icon_redface:

Forget it Derek. There are some areas of the forum where there is a bit less activity than others. This is one of them. 4 days does not constitute threadomancy, regardless of which board.

Obi, if you looked through the few preceding posts, you would see that commandant was the one who threadomanced this from June.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline CaptScott

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 02:16:59 AM »
It's still a good topic however...

I wouldn't mind knights getting a bit of a boost in line with the latest army books, however if they get too good they'd be moved to special slots, which is something I wouldn't want.  I prefer to have them available as core as they add alot more variability to army design.  And additionally our special slots are competitive as it is without adding in standard knights.

Overall I would like to see:

Core Knights +1 strength
IC Knights +1 Attack

However also consider that this would cause their price to increase, and I like my knights like I like my women, cheap and plentiful  :roll:
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!