home

Author Topic: Painting a models but no paint job  (Read 401 times)

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
Painting a models but no paint job
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »
Someone came to x with a battalion box full with old metal gw models, and asked if there was anyone he could give the away to. The owners asked if he wanted to sell them and he said no, just five them away. Of course noone is against free old but perfect models. Then he asked if anyone could paint a model for him so he could give as a gift. A small lord of the ring rare model or at least noone there could name it. To my surprise the first question was how much he was willing to pay. He just gave away 50 dollars in models and no one had any interest of helping him? Sadly i cant paint well enough or i would have done it. I know that some paint jobs are worth a lot of money, but one single infantry size model with out requirements of quality or paint deadline i would had expect someone to accept.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Painting a models but no paint job
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »
Now where's your initiative. You'll never get to 'collector' status with that attitude.   :closed-eyes:

I would have taken the models and then paid someone the 50$ to paint him a model.   :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »
Just because they are war gamers, doesn't mean they arnt also (insert favourite offensive word here)
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
....... and stupid as well  :engel:

The odds are that 50 metal old GW are well worth a dollar each, and probably a lot more.

Also if you know the painter you could probably 'negotiate' on the price.
Bring the figure to Belgium and the Bash and ask Soth's clubmate Dave to do it over the weekend .....................
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
Sadly he approached the owner of the store first, and it took me a while to comprehend that he was just giving them away (I blame my bad german and that I would had at least try to get something in return). It would had been rude to jump on the stores chances to get free models, but then they did not offer to paint the model which was kinda of mean of them.

I just looked and the models were not that old, 3rd edition Eldar 1998 or at least they came with this rule book. I still think that taking the time to find the store and take the models to give away is a nice gesture that was not matched.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau