home

Author Topic: Creating Moulds.  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Evil_Penguin918

• Members
Creating Moulds.
« on: October 29, 2015, 04:41:04 PM »
Hello guys and gals,

I've been looking around on the internet for ideas but i'm still a bit stumped.

I have a small project of custom state troops and the only thing stopping me completing it are the vast amount of pistolier heads that I need.
I've tried shopping for them online, but unsurprisingly, they aren't readily available to purchase. I have bought the rest of the bits I need however.

I basically want to buy a pack of pistoliers and mould the specific heads that I want (I need 50 heads overall) but i'm really unsure of how to proceed.

I know this topic is a bit controversial because of copy right and creating moulds etc, but unfortunately this is the only way i'll be able to complete my project without having to fork out well over £150 just for some plastic heads.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Creating Moulds.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
I created moulds for bases some time ago. There are also pics in my blog (page 20, just scroll down).

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=47119.475

And DaTroll posted a short how-to in his blog, I think ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,49432.msg918154.html#msg918154

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »
There are numerous tutorials on Youtube--that's how I learned how to make silicon molds so I could cast Space Wolf shoulder pads for 60 models.  Pistolier heads shouldn't be that difficult.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 06:10:45 PM »
Instant Mold could be helpful, and cheap.

Although you need to be extra precise with everything to create good three-dimensionality without excessive mold lines. But I've been able to duplicate complete figures this way, so I can guarantee it surely is a possibility.

Before all the trouble, though, have you tried to buy the heads via the trade place on this or another forum?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Evil_Penguin918

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 06:26:12 PM »
Something for the Brush & Palette, where you can find these threads:

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44415.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43995.0

Several smaller threads referred to: http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

Thanks! These are far better than what i've found online.

Offline Evil_Penguin918

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. Been a great help  :icon_biggrin:

Instant Mold could be helpful, and cheap.

Although you need to be extra precise with everything to create good three-dimensionality without excessive mold lines. But I've been able to duplicate complete figures this way, so I can guarantee it surely is a possibility.

Before all the trouble, though, have you tried to buy the heads via the trade place on this or another forum?

-Z

I've tried purchasing them from online bitz sellers, but none seem to stock pistoliers but I understand why.

I've tried getting them from the trading post here too, but no interest.

Offline WFRPguy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »
Well, I'm not surprised it's near impossible to find them.... GW has clauses that prevent stores from selling bitz. It's also looking like most of the empire line with go OOP due to them killing the Old World and creating a new lore.

As for recasting parts, it's not hard.
I wish I had a mold for them already, but so far, I only have Free Company stuff ready as I'm trying to start a Mordheim game after the holidays. 

If I get the mold ready in the future and you still need them, let me know.

Offline Bugman

• Lead Dwarf Engineer
  • Lead Dwarf Engineer
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 08:56:16 AM »
Hello,

It's quite simple, but some thermoplastic stuff off eBay called oy??? Damn can't remember the name, basically put in in a cube of hot water, wait for it to melt and then take it out and put it around 1/2 the head. Repay for other side. Put in freezer for 5 mins. Take out, split mould in two, take out head, refill with green stuff, press together, wait to dry, take out, repeat. Best thing the plastic can be reused over and over and over again!

Bugman
http://Http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The oldest, largest &  most informative Dwarf Website in the old world

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 11:23:15 PM »

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
A product similar to Instant mold and usually cheaper is "oyumaru" (it's from japan of course).

You can sometimes find it in craft stores.

Like instant mold, you can use it to make molds for small projets, when the mold is worn off, you simply put it in hot water again to make a new one.

If you plan to do a large number of the same heads, then a silicon mold will probably be a better idea, as it will be useable much longer, but for a few casts of the same piece, orymaru or instant mold are easier to use and reuseable.

Note that both don't stick to green stuff, so you don't even need a release agent.

You will easily find tutorials for instant mold or oryumaru, usually for two piece molds using a lego cage to hold the mold in place.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 11:15:16 PM »
I've always struggled with oyumaru or bluestuff to make a good two part mould. Fine for flat moulds like shields, pouches etc.

Offline Evil_Penguin918

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
I'm getting a box of pistoliers for Christmas (family nagging me for ideas) and i've already bought a moulding plastaceen thing off Ebay, so i'm hoping I can pull it off.

I'm determined to get this project done but I fear my inexperience will be the biggest problem :(

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 08:09:12 PM »
I've always struggled with oyumaru or bluestuff to make a good two part mould. Fine for flat moulds like shields, pouches etc.

It takes a good bit of practice, and a good bit more patience (that being the harder part for me) to get consistently good at it.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 01:03:22 PM »
I'm getting a box of pistoliers for Christmas (family nagging me for ideas) and i've already bought a moulding plastaceen thing off Ebay, so i'm hoping I can pull it off.

I'm determined to get this project done but I fear my inexperience will be the biggest problem :(

If you're uncertain about your own skills, I would advise you to first watch a few youtube clips on the matter.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Evil_Penguin918

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
I have - still confused.

This is probably going to be the only time i'll be making moulds and I just don't know what the cheap & effective method might be really.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 12:08:05 AM »
For a one time thing instamold (or the other similar products under the a different name) will still be the cheapest. It's just really cheap regardless of how many times you intend to reuse it.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »
For a one-time molding, I second Instamold and greenstuff. They should cost around 15 $, no more, and likely less. They're not perfect, and you're sure to make a couple of failed tries. But they don't require the learning of the whole moldmaking process, nor the investment in the equipment. Of course, any moldmaking, even with instamold, takes some time.

Eventually, you ask what is the best cost x time method for you to get those 50 heads.

If you're really unsure about the molds, a trip through the free market might help. It seems that today the Pistolier heads sell at 1.50 $ apiece in the eBay, plus postage. 75+ $ for 50 heads is definitely too steep, and there aren't that many on offer anyway.

Hoard 'O Bits has them significantly cheaper, and they may be restocking some time in the future. Hawk them.

Now, the box comes with 17 heads (16 if you don't count the bare one), so you want three boxes' worth of heads. Those three boxes cost you 87 $, so from the start on, don't look for individual heads from the web. Unless you can find a bunch, you can buy three boxes just for the heads and sell the rest (with some alternative extra heads). You should be able to get 10...15 $ per box at the minimum, and likely more (because the 9th Age & Kings of War both make the Pistoliers a game choice). That would cut down the cost of heads to no more than 50 $ (still atrocious, and many times higher compared to Hoard 'O Bits).

Compared to instamold, greenstuff and trial & error, you would pay 35 $ more and spend some time in reselling the stuff. Compared to other methods, the cost x time comparison could be more or less beneficial. And you would get exactly what you need, factory made, ready to use.

There's also a chance that if you started to offer tens of dollars for 50 heads, someone on this forum would cut in and offer you the bunch cheaper than eBay or Hoard 'O Bits. Or try getting them piecemeal. I know I have some extras, but i'd bet you will find them on your continent too.

So, how much time & effort will money save you? What is worth what?

(Remember: learning a new hobby skill is tremendous, and always worth the money & time you put into it! Instamold is reusable, and before long, you will find yourself duplicating other bits too. Real moldmaking stuff comes in big bottles, you can do much more after you're ready with those heads.)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 02:36:06 PM »
I will second that it's a skill work learning, and once you have it you'll use it more than you expect. I learned with instamold but have since moved on to silicone for a lot of things (still use the instamold for simple or low number of casts pieces though). Because of the cheapness I'd recommend everyone starts with something like instamold just to get some experience. You're going to make mistakes, might as well make as many of them as possible on the cheap product.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »
I use resin and silicone moulds from MB Fibreglass.
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 06:01:28 AM »
I also use resin with a varity of silicone molds, some of which I made myself. I wouldn't recommend it was a way to start thought. Mistakes in silicone are time consuming and not cheap. Mistakes with instamold are quick to discover and at worst cost a bit of green stuff.

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »
Talking about Instantmold/Oyumaru, as anybody tried with other things than green stuff ?

For my first tries with Oyumaru, in order not to waste green stuff I used some cheap air-hardening putty from a craft store, and of course it shrinked in a noticeable way, but for some pieces it could still be useable if the shrinked size is not a problem.
For exemple I duplicated a big cross from a terrain piece and the new smaller one is still useable (for a cemeraty, or on the base of an undead unit for exemple)

Of course due to the shrinking it tends to be even harder on the mould so probably only worth it to cast a few pieces, maybe only one or two before having to remake the mould again (thanksfully with instant mold/Oryumaru it's reuseable)

But now I wonder if there are other (cheaper ?) stuffs that might be useable, like maybe some of the non greenstuff milliput products or some kind of modelling clay maybe ?

I suppose that normal resin is also not useable, as it would heat and deform the mould, but isn't there some kind of resin or other materials that can be used without heat (or too much of it) ?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »
Small/thin resin casts actually work ok. And any version of a modeling putty will work, it just has the normal properties of that putty (some are softer and easier to work with up don't pick up really sharp detail for example). Personally I've found green stuff to be some of the cheapest. Buy it as kedenite (probably spelled wrong). It's apparently some sort of plumbers putty. But I have to admit I've done a fair bit of plumbing and never used it. All I can figure is it's for large industrial or perhaps chemical applications. Anyway, it's the same stuff at a fraction of the cost of the hobby packaged greenstuff.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:41 AM »
There are plastic pistoliers heads on ebay uk site at £1 each, so kind of expensive.