Imperial Artisans ... The Painters, Crafters & Writers Guilds > Empire Crafts and Skills

Empire Town project - scenery

<< < (2/17) > >>

Midaski:
I have a thread a few below yours in this board - you can see what I mean about the time frame if you look at the dates  :biggriin:

Pages 4, 5 & 6 have the mix of styles I was talking about.

The GW Fortified Manor which I have used in different ways.

Some Tabletop Workshop buildings which are plastic clip together kits - bland but ok.
Link to one source - but I got mine a lot cheaper.
https://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=291&page=1

The last set is from someone called TSS - Total System Scenic who made a group of resin kits.
I acquired about 5 buildings many years ago and several of the walls were bent and I had to straighten them out in hot water when I eventually built them.
I did enhance them a bit putting them on bases with card flagstones and the 'courtyard' as you can see in the pics.

So it was a lot easier than starting with cardboard boxes.  :biggriin:

The 3 'styles' don't look too clever together, which is why I was talking about districts. The GW stuff could be the 'posh' area, the Tabletop Workshop for the upper middle classes, and then maybe the TSS stuff more for the lower classes and the like.

Naitsabes:
very nice work!

You did a great job capturing that old white dwarf feel. A bit different from the more modern kits ('spikier' is a good description). I did some cereal box buildings myself but cut many more corners than you. Roofing shingles one by one? Madness! The sand/grit on the walls though looks great and I shall try that on my next build.

I am impressed by your resin pour of that big door. Finding the right doors/windows is a bit of a chore. I am pretty much through my stash of GW bldg leftover bits, so glad to see there are other options.

What's the plan for the streets and roadways?

Keep it up. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.  :::cheers:::

Zygmund:
Great townscape in making!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

-Z

elsmallo:

--- Quote from: Midaski on August 25, 2020, 05:48:46 PM ---I have a thread a few below yours in this board - you can see what I mean about the time frame if you look at the dates  :biggriin:

--- End quote ---

I can see! You've got loads done over the years, looks brilliant. The kits don't look so off with each other, but I guess the GW manor kinda out militarises the others with all the battlements and the like. It looks great with the extended courtyard though.

I was out of touch with the hobby when GW released those kits but did manage to get some bits from the manor and chapel sets, mostly doors and some fence parts. So I hope to be able to build some kind of barracks building at some point and maybe a graveyard. I still need to consider how I'm actually going to situate the models in space somehow and how to make it into a gameable situation.

I've bought stuff from Northstar, a covered wagon and also some of the plastic tents you've got as well. I note with envy your Mordheim Stage Coach - this is one of the models I look back upon in old catalogues and wish I'd bought at the time.

elsmallo:

--- Quote from: Naitsabes on August 25, 2020, 07:40:46 PM ---
I am impressed by your resin pour of that big door. Finding the right doors/windows is a bit of a chore. I am pretty much through my stash of GW bldg leftover bits, so glad to see there are other options.

What's the plan for the streets and roadways?

--- End quote ---

Thanks very much!  :smile2:

I always thought it was a shame GW didn't go harder in on the buildings accessories, they were nice quality especially the Mordheim ones. I may (cough) have discovered molds and resing casting in order to ensure I don't run out of certain vital OOP bits, but my aim moving forward is to sculpt more of my own windows and doors and the like and copy those.

I've not thought much about the streets and roadways. Seeing the work of others on here is instructive. I have already based the buildings I've made and have in the pipeline, so may have slightly limited myself there. I think some kind of board system with recessed insets for the house bases might work - if I make the bases a limited number of sizes then theoretically this way I could have different layouts etc. I should probably resolve this before I make too many more. Not that I'm exactly speeding ahead...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version