home

Author Topic: My Empire Carthagineans  (Read 201 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
My Empire Carthagineans
« on: May 06, 2024, 01:38:20 PM »
So back when Age of Empires, Rise of Rome came out, I also learnt about Carthage.
I loved Hannibal, and how he could have destroyed Rome.

So about 15 years ago, during 7th edition, when we could take 2 steam tanks in a 2000 point list, I decided that my 2 steam tanks, would both be my elephants. I wanted cavalry and infantry, and no magic. I made my Carthaginean army, and had a lot of success with it.

But I never painted them - well, I painted a unit of spearmen, and that was it. But I had the models (or should I say kitbashes) in mind. I wanted them to completely unique, but I also wanted them to be mainly using GW minis. In the Warhammer world, Carthage would be part of Araby, rather than the Southlands.

Anyway, here are sample painted models for a few of the main units (Knights, Light Cavalry, Spearmen and Greatswords). I haven't finished converting / painting my elephants yet....

Knight

Camel Rider (Outrider - needs repeater handgun added)

Infantry (Spearman and Greatsword)

Warrior Priest

Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: My Empire Carthagineans
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 02:06:30 PM »
I haven’t based them yet obviously. Previously I had this army on sand - for the Araby look. I have transferred them all to 25x25 and 30x60 bases now. Will probably do sand again.

For those wondering, the camels are from the LotR set. The Warrior Priest is from Aegyptus.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 02:38:34 PM »
Great use of parts.
A tip on painting yellow. Use a white undercoat

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 11:19:30 PM »
Great use of parts.
A tip on painting yellow. Use a white undercoat

Fair point. I have always primed everything black since forever, so unfortunately not an easy option to fix. But yeah, i see in the photos that the yellow doesn’t look as good as it does with the naked eye.

Offline Gorim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 09:01:35 AM »
For yellow, maybe even use light brown undercoat / paint/wash the area with IT before applying yellow paint. I also heard that yellow contrast paint is very good.

What's the army fluff? Some Estalia/Tilea stuff?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 07:02:31 PM »
I like what's happening here! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 10:03:50 PM »
What's the army fluff? Some Estalia/Tilea stuff?

The Reman Legions on this site was successful, and I wanted to build a new archetype list that would also be successful, and also justify why 2 steam tanks in 7th edition was acceptable and not over the top.
Carthage, traditional enemy of Rome made sense.

In world, The Tilean city state of Remas has overreached itself in trade negotiations and influence, interrupting the flow of power in the region. As such, the high council of Carthage (in the local tongue) has summoned my General, Hannibaal, to withdraw from his ongoing battles with the Tomb Kings, Southland Lizardmen and Badland Orcs, and launch a punitive strike at Remas. Hannibaal’s army consists of a professional force of soldiers from his home city, adorned in their customary Bronze armour, as well as units of camel riders and skirmishers from local tribes who joined his forces while on expedition in the Southlands and Araby.