home

Author Topic: Sigmar Came to Me. He Told Me How to Fix Core Infantry.  (Read 15421 times)

Offline Zarkdon

• Members
Re: Sigmar Came to Me. He Told Me How to Fix Core Infantry.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 04:38:54 AM »
would this make the Steam Tank functionally useless against spearwalls?

I don't think some twerp with a pointy stick could stop a couple of tons of metal.

dont forget the stank ignores defended obsticals
"Yours in not to question how or why, yours is but to do or die."

Preceptor of the Knights of the Yellow Streak before their failed feartest outside of Holdensburg

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »
In that case, this works, while also keeping Chariots relatively depowered (save for flank attacks but hey...).

Alternate rule perhaps: The Defended Obstacle to the Front Arc only applies if the spear unit isn't already engaged in combat? Example being: If you charge it in the flank with some swordsmen, then charge it in the front next turn with chariots...

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
so tell me rodman how does my proposal of an empire specific rule like "imperial phalanx" differ from your proposal of a WAB like "drilled" rule.  what we call it is somewhat irrelevant, it's the effect that matters.  combining the WAB "phalanx" rules with elements of "drilled" and/or a reciprocal detatchment rule would probably be the best solution for all empire CC infantry.  But what do I know I've only been playing WAB since it first came out and WFB since 91.

I wasn't applying Drilled to just Empire infantry.  I was talking about a rulebook change in which all infantry would get a free turn in the movement phase like infantry.  The problems that us Empire players are having with regards to infantry are endemic of most armies in Warhammer currently.  Therefore we should not only consider slightly changing the Empire book but also the rulebook.

Admittedly from what I have heard it looks like all infantry will always fight with 2 ranks.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »
Yes this surely will push light and medium infantry and elite infantry not.  :icon_rolleyes:

I think a free reform before the movement phase would help infantry immensly.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 07:09:15 AM »
Yeah, lets just turn this into 40k ??? shall we
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Smythen

• Members
  • - Pikemen to the Empire, NOW!
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »
Just give us Pikes. And keep those spearmen and halbardiers for fluf and detachments.
Times change and finally the Electors has decided that the pike is supperior to the halbard.
GW would love this, a whole bunch of now useless units and a new plastic box set that every empire general would kill to get.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 05:13:38 AM »
Just give us Pikes. And keep those spearmen and halbardiers for fluf and detachments.
Times change and finally the Electors has decided that the pike is supperior to the halbard.
GW would love this, a whole bunch of now useless units and a new plastic box set that every empire general would kill to get.

Why don't they just make Halberds good?  Then they can sell us the same damn box without having to make a new mold.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »
Neither Drilled nor a free reform is turning this into 40K these rules exist in the warhammer historical rules and denote a difference between professional and feudal, warband, or militia armies.  The same difference as exists between empire and the other races in fantasy.  The elves as long lived and swift acting as they are, are still essentially a militia army which is why their rules are they way they are.  Chaos likewise as with all the other races they all have their special characteristics.  A suite of rules added to the detachment set or state troops set would be in character and in tradition for warhammer in general.

I agree with adding pikes as a new weapon option but it would not materially change the fragility or general use of the state troops, likewise heavy armour for most unit types wouldn't change much.  Nor would changing their character profile be fluffy they need to still be basic men, not superheroes but men with training.  Changing their psychology, training profiles would however affect their play styles a great deal and that is more in my opinion what is needed, essentially a revamp of the detachment/state troops system.  Looking to the warhammer historical books for references is in my opinion a very good way to see what wheels have been tried in the past and determine, so to speak, which set we'd like to try on for the revamp of the state troops in the empire army. 
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline DanteValentine

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 03:35:50 PM »
Personnally, i would love if all of a sudden Halberds allowed you to attack in 2 ranks.
Empire Halberdiers would get a very small but nice boost.
Things like Chosen or Dark Elf Blackguard would become units of utter butchery.

A unit 7 wide and 2 deep would suddenly get 29 Str 4 attacks rerolling misses. I dont care what its attacking that is going to hurt! (Stats based on Blackguard).

I think maybe, rather than just making a sweeping rule change like that, something more appropraite would be:

Subequent ranks of Empire Troops armed with halberds contribute 50% (Rounded up)of their attacks to the fight if they outnumber the enemy, representing overwhelming numbers and the Empires advanced Halberd drills.
Eg:

a unit of 28 Halbderdiers (7 wide x 4 deep) is fighting a unit of 20 Orcs (5 wide x 4 deep).
The front rank of halberdiers get all their attacks: 7
The 2nd, 3rd and 4th Ranks contribute 50% of their attacks. 21/2 = 10.5 = 11 extra attacks.

This would encourage BIG BIG units of state troops that would still be able to do considerable damage based on their numbers.

Just my idea.

Regards
Dante

Offline sniperjolly

• Members
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
I have to say, the man is a veritible prophet. Presumably of sigmar. We can all go home and rest easy that 8th makes halbreds viable. Thank you for subliminaly influencing GW's design team.
What's up with that Phillyt guy... he's not what I would call '' pleasant''.