home

Author Topic: Mordheim campaign log  (Read 23653 times)

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Re: Mordheim campaign log
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »
My Orc warband sucked. The Boss could munch just about anything short of a vampire but the whole goblins can't progress thing is a bit lame. Goblins are far cooler.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
@Mogsam--play Forest Goblins (not the original Lustria list but the updated Nemesis list) or one of the many experimental Night Goblin lists.  I like this one best--

http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/rules-and-gameplay-f1/night-goblins-new-warband-file-updated-9-26-09-t1415.htm

I would like a standard Goblin list that could be made into anything, but I seem alone in this.

@Shadow Warriors--not official.  Personally I think that cheesy Dwarfs can toast cheesy Shadow Warriors, but we only have one cheesy player at a time so the confrontation never occurs.  :)
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
I really need to play Mordheim, but my group thinks:

A) It's inbalanced

B) Necromunda is better by far so why ever play Mordheim?

:-(
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
There was a Mordheim campaign that started up at my LGS a couple of months ago but I don't have time to play when they do. 

Good luck with your campaign, rufus.  I hope to see more updates.  Such a great game!
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 11:35:49 PM »
Thanks!

Game two:

I now had to play the Marienburgers. They had lost their last game, and were down to nine members (including a warlock and halfling scout). Unfortunately, the Marienburg player rolled up the 'choose the scenario' result, and selected the fairly unbalanced 'surprise attack.'

My captain, two flagellants and one witch hunter decided not to show up straight away. The remaining members of the warband dispersed around the central tower. The picture looks yellow, by the way, because there was no natural light. At night. Strangely
enough.

The Marienburgers came after my warband, which was trying to get back together. One witch hunter (the replacement for Dead von Crossbowguy) was by himself in full view of the enemy heroes and crossbowmen. He tried to jump from the building in order to escape, and promptly fell to his doom. Or his out-of-action-ness, at least.

But the captain and the other flagellants arrived, so everyone had a 'let's hide from the crossbows' party behind the tower.

Next, I did my favourite thing in Mordheim, which is setting the dogs on a lone hero who hasn't realised they are all in range.

The warlock (who had combat spells) joined in. But the dogs eventually ate the hero.

The Marienburg captain didn't fancy his chances, and moved away. The wizard was knocking dogs all over the place.

So a witch hunter and the priest joined in. The witch hunter stunned the warlock, and the priest clubbed him in the head with the Hammer of Sigmar.

The captain soon found himself fighting the witch hunter captain and three flagellants. The Marienburgers passed their rout test. 'Great,' I thought, 'I can kill the captain now.'

Except I didn't (he made two saves with his heavy armour! On sixes because of the flagellant's strength four!), and he somehow took two flagellants out of action. I failed my rout test!

This time though, no one died permanently and five gang members gained a level:

Egeus Schelling Witch hunter captain with mace and pistol
Erasmus von Miltitz Warrior priest with hammer and staff (new skill)
Martin Volker Witch hunter with two maces
Johann von Eck Witch hunter with two maces (new skill)
Titus van Marnix Witch hunter with two maces
Helmut Flagellant with flail ( +1 initiative)
Albrecht Flagellant with flail ( +1 attacks)
Konrad Flagellant with flail ( +1 weaponskill)
Karl, Philipp and Max Three warhounds

So, I have two new skills to choose. Should I take a prayer for the priest this time (he has 'step aside' already)? Should I take 'Wyrdstone Hunter' for the witch hunter, so that I can do better on those exploration rolls?

Also, I have sixty gold to spend. I could buy a flagellant with a flail for fifty-five. Or, I could hire the halfling scout and also two more warhounds. Any thoughts?

The next game is against the possessed, I think.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 11:50:04 PM »
Nice report, and I like the idea of setting the hounds on people, and saying that, I'd get 2 more.  :engel:

The image of a "mighty" spellcaster reduced to clubbing dogs (regardless of how good at it, as it turned out, he was) is also one I enjoy.

I really like the winged monkey and the tower, but are those non-energy saving bulbs I spy? I thought everywhere stopped selling them a year or so ago (was astonished to recently find we still have a box or two at my store).
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 02:07:36 AM »
I'll just post everywhere (following this thread on 2 forums).

Possessed.  I'd really consider the crossbows (see Toms).  Shoot them.  Keep your heroes and flagellants alive and run away.  If possible sacrifice the dogs to his henchmen to keep the heroes from getting easy experience.  But whenever possible send all three dogs together to maul someone.  Possessed should have fewer numbers so if you can pick a couple off they might flee...

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »
Thanks for the update, rufus! Your priest has a very good record, it seems.

Why not hire an Elven ranger for the surplus gold? His special ability is extremely valuable during the exploration phase, I think.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Your priest has a very good record, it seems.

He's the only one who does! My captain especially is rubbish.

I was considering the elf ranger actually, for the +1/-1 power. But Von Kurst says it's best not to hire hired swords just yet. Hmmm.

I need more money! Lots more!

Looking through the big equipment list on Mordheimer.com, I discovered a special witch hunter flaming iron weapon that is essentially a halberd that sets people on fire. Thirty-five gold though... I'm keeping it in mind. Burning witches/warlocks would be much better than just clubbing them in the head.

Quote from: Von Kurst
Possessed.  I'd really consider the crossbows (see Toms).  Shoot them.  Keep your heroes and flagellants alive and run away.  If possible sacrifice the dogs to his henchmen to keep the heroes from getting easy experience.  But whenever possible send all three dogs together to maul someone.  Possessed should have fewer numbers so if you can pick a couple off they might flee...

I like the sound of shooting him and then dog-striking someone. Maybe I should get two crossbows and a rabbit's foot? Is the rabbit's foot one use per battle, or one use in total?

Quote from: MrDWhitey
are those non-energy saving bulbs I spy

Uh, maybe? Honestly, the things some people are interested in!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »
I love that second report, and naming the charaters is awesome! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Hey, by the way, where did you get that terrain grey demon thing sitting on top of the half barrel jail that looks like the other half is underground :icon_question:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
Rabbit's Foot is one use per game.  The Brazier Staff seems way fun but I never get to play Witch Hunters anymore so I haven't used it myself.
I'd recommend a Lucky Charm for the WP since his prayers are more useful in the thick of things.  But a Rabbit's Foot is essential equipment as well.
Are you using Living Rulebook rules or the original rules?

The Elf Ranger is also an essential to the Witch Hunter band, but I would recommend waiting until one of the flagellants is promoted to hire him as that 20 gc per game upkeep is a big dent at the start.  If you roll Returning a Favor, however, get one!

All Alone is the most over looked rule in the book.

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
Seeing your flaggies got three different improvements...
This means they are three different "units" and if one dies his experience dies with him. But you can buy experienced members for units that still have at least one member left. See if you can afford a fourth flaggie for the unit that has +1 attack  :evil:
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
Seeing your flaggies got three different improvements...
This means they are three different "units" and if one dies his experience dies with him. But you can buy experienced members for units that still have at least one member left. See if you can afford a fourth flaggie for the unit that has +1 attack  :evil:

Can you do that? I think you can! If so, that's awesome!

With two experience and a flail, I think he would cost fifty-nine gold. I can afford that.

Quote from: Von Kurst
Are you using Living Rulebook rules or the original rules?

The living rulebook. None of us has a paper version. Thanks for all your advice by the way!

Quote from: GamesPoet
where did you get that terrain grey demon thing sitting on top of the half barrel jail that looks like the other half is underground

It's not mine actually - it belongs to Dazgrim. You could try asking him, but he doesn't turn up on the forum often!
If I wanted to.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
However I am here today. Mostly collecting tactical information for use against Rufus on Tuesday. The statue thing is something I've had lying around for years. I think it was originally bought in a Goth shop.

For those that are interested, I'm playing the Possessed warband. My starting line up was:

Magister with 2 clubs, his spell was .
Possessed with  blackblood
Possessed without mutations
Mutant with a tentacle and club
Mutant with a daemonsoul and club
Brethren with a club
3 Brethren with no additional equiptment

I played my first game against the orc and goblin player, his starting build was:
5 goblins with bows
5 Squigs
Orc Boy with additional dagger
Orc Boy with additional dagger
Shaman with halberd
Big 'Un with halberd and bow
Big 'Un with halberd and bow
Boss with halberd and bow

This gave him a rating about 60 points higher than mine so I was getting bonus exp.

The scenario we rolled was break through, one warband (mine) has to get two models across the table.

At this point I'll apologise for a lack of pictures.

Set up involved my war band splitting into two groups, the two possessed and the mutant with tentacle in one group, everyone else in the other. These groups deployed at opposite ends of my deployment zone. The orc player split his warband too. All of his orcs went opposite the possessed, and the goblins and squigs gathered to block the path of my leader.

The scenario gave me first turn, and my possessed and tentacle mutant began to run towards the centre of the board by a looping route, which would stop the orcs from charging them. The others advanced towards the goblins and my turn ended.

The orc first turn saw the two squigs engage one of my unequipped brethren, and the rest bound forward but fail to make contact. The goblins advanced firing their bows, this stunned another of my unequipped brethren. The shaman and two orc henchmen ran at my possessed, the three with bows advanced more sedately, firing as they came (to no effect). The combat between the two squigs and my cultist was indecisive, neither side managing to land a telling blow.

My second turn had my magisters group mobbing the squigs where they could. Combat on this side was resolved in my favour, with two squigs out of action. My Possesed and mutant continued to run.

The orcs performance in their second turn was pretty much identical to their first, the shaman ran forwards and failed to cast his spell, the two henchorcs followed him. The three heros with bows again advanced firing ineffectually. Over the other side the lone squig not engaged previously reached combat this turn. Resolution of ongoing combats saw two brethren knocked down and two more squigs out of action. The goblins with bows hung around behind the combat and managed to fatally shoot one of my brethren who had killed his opponent in my turn.

My third turn had more running from the possessed, the mutant accompanying them split off to hide from the orcs who were gaining on him. On the other side my warriors not fighting the last squig charged goblins, fighting this turn saw lots of concentrated failure on both sides, I did kill the last squig though.

The my possessed's movement in the third turn had carried them out of line of sight of the orcs. All the orcs therefore ran. The two unengaged goblins hung back to shoot ineffectually, the three goblins in combat failed to hit anything, but were uninjured in return.

My turn four had more movement from the Possessed (they were too close to the orcs to run), hiding from the mutant with tentacle, and ineffectual fighting from everyone else. I seemed to have run out of momentum.

In their fourth turn the orcs finally had some animosity results. One moved towards my possessed and a goblin was inspired to charge my magister. After animosity the shaman and orc henchmen declared charges against my possessed, two on one and the third on the second. The shaman and a henchman failed their fear checks, the other orc engaged my possessed with the blackblood. The other goblin charged in support of his friend, and the three heros with bows shot at my possessed that was not fighting. Combat this turn was more decisive, with three goblins dying.

My final turn saw the possesed who had done nothing so far turn on his pursuers charging an orc boy. Both possessed ripped their respective opponents limb from limb, and the rest of my warriors killed three goblins.

The orc fifth turn began with a rout check which was duly failed.

In the aftermath my one out of action warrior recovered, the orcs, goblins and squigs did likewise.

Every member of my warband had accrued enough experience to advance. And I began to prepare to face the skaven warband.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
I have a lot to say to the Orc player.  Oy!

Well played on the Possessed side, ya stinkin' mutie! :)

What's the Magister's spell?

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
Dark Blood, a spell I don't particularly rate.

I might post my report for the second game against skaven later...

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
Please do!

Darkblood--not too useful.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
Hey, you hijacked my thread!

Warband ratings must be dodgy. How were those orcs sixty points better!
If I wanted to.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
Actually my post was entirely within your subject.  :biggriin:

The orcs outnumbered me almost 2:1, and their heros start with a huge amount of exp.

Boss 20
Big 'Un 15
Shaman 10

(16 x 5)+15+15+20+10=140 Him

(9 x 5)+8+8+20=81 Me

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
The ratings are a bit dodgy.  Orc Biguns are way over-priced and have odd experience penalties (They start with more experience than most warband's wizards, including their own).  All because they are T4 (?)  I am not one of Mark Havener's fans.
That said I am having a good time with the warband at present despite being pants.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
Starting with a lot of experience is bad, because all it does is slow down your progression. This is why my witch hunters have a high rating, despite not being very good.

I see that mutants start at zero experience, despite having the same profile as an eight-experience witch hunter.

Anyway, post that skaven report!
If I wanted to.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 04:18:37 PM »
Second game versus the skaven.

After the first game my warband was looking thus:

Magister with 2 clubs a master map of Mordheim and a lucky charm, Step Aside his spell was Darkblood.
Possessed with  blackblood +1 Leadership
Possessed without mutations +1 Weaponskill
Mutant with a tentacle and club, Step Aside
Mutant with a daemonsoul and 2 clubs, Step Aside
2 Brethren with 2 clubs +1 Leadership
3 Brethren with 2 clubs +1 Attack

The skaven warband I was facing had:
5 Verminkin with slings, clubs and daggers
5 Verminkin with slings, clubs and daggers
Nightrunner with sling and dagger
Nightrunner with sling and dagger
Black Skaven with fighting claws, Art of Silent Death
Black Skaven with sling sword and dagger
Assassin Adept with sling, weeping blades, light armour
Eshin Sorcerer with sling and spear, Gnawdoom
Hireling Warlock Silver Arrows of Arha, Sword of Rezhebel

The skaven warband rating was 49 higher than my own, not quite enough for more bonus exp...

We rolled the chance encounter scenario, each warband has just found some wyrdstone and is heading home when... (I had 2 he had 3)

Set up is by table quarters, so I piled my warband into the centre of the table, severely restricting the space in which he could deploy (he has to set up at least 14 inches from my models). The skaven deployed in a concave line facing my band.

I won the roll for first turn and ran my warband forward hoping to reduce the amount sling fire I'd take before I engaged. From behind a screen of two brethren (the ones with a bonus attack) my Magister attempted to cast Dark Blood at the skaven leader., he failed to cast.

In the skaven first turn the warlock opened proceedings by failing to cast Silver Arrows of Arha. The eshin sorcerer succesfully cast Gnawdoom on my possessed with the enhanced weapon skill, this did no damage. The rest of the line opened up with their slings, firing two shots apiece, stunning all three of the henchmen with a bonus attack and killing the mutant with a daemonsoul.

In my turn my two possessed and a henchman charged three verminkin and a nightrunner. My magister charged the other nightrunner and my remaining henchman and mutant found they were out of charge range of their targets and faild to charge. All of my warriors fluffed their attacks, my only consolation was that my opponent did likewise, but my chance to rout the skaven was gone.

In his second turn the skaven player commanded massed charges, the black skaven with fighting claws and his leader joined the nightrunner in fighting my Magister, pairs of warriors charged each of mine, with the exception of the possessed and their henchman. The combats went against me, two of my previously stunned but now knocked down henchmen were put out of action, my henchman who had failed to charge and my mutant with tentacle were also put out of action. My magister was put out of action despite passing his lucky charm roll, and two Step Aside rolls. The only warriors of mine left standing were the two possessed and a single henchman between them they managed to put the nightrunner and a verminkin out of action, but it was too little too late.

My turn started and ended with my beleaguered forces voluntarily routing.

After the battle his nightrunner made a full recovery, but his henchman died.
My mutant with the daemonsoul suffered a reduction in his toughness, my new brethren with boosted leadership died, and my leader was captured by the skaven, who looted him and sold him into slavery.

My now battered warband waits until Tuesday to face Rufus' Witch Hunters.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2009, 04:40:54 PM »
My mutant with the daemonsoul suffered a reduction in his toughness, my new brethren with boosted leadership died, and my leader was captured by the skaven, who looted him and sold him into slavery.

Ouch :dry:

And it started so well for you...

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
At least you are playing one of those odd buy back your lost leader warbands...  Still a cruel blow. 

I haven't played against Skaven for a couple of years.  This campaign they are kicking me around the jungle.

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=30378.0

Cheese rodents from hell.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »
I can't buy back my leader, only the vampires can do that. Instead my new leader gets to learn spells.

Grenzstadt stands.