home

Author Topic: Combining Oathmark with Kings of War, and Other Fantasy Battle Games ...  (Read 1218 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
In an "Oathmark" thread Zymund came up with the following idea ...

... funny that Oathmark is under Skirmish & Warband, when the game is full-fledged rank-and-file with regiments.

I suggest the "Kings of War" section be renamed "Non-Warhammer Fantasy Battles" or "Other Fantasy Battles", and Oathmark moved there. :-)

Keeping in mind the following ... currently the board areas under "The Empire At War" include the following with these number of threads ...

WHFB ... over 35K
W:AoS ... over 6K (this was Stonebeard's suggestion to move below the WHFB area)
9th Age ... over 1K
Kings of War ... only 200
Skirmish and Warband ... over 2K
Historical Games ... over 2K

My thought was to see how folks view this, and here are some possibilities ...

"Non-Warhammer Fantasy Battle Games"

or

"Other Fantasy Battle Games"

or

"Kings of War, Oathmark, and Other Fantasy Battle Games"

This will also be taken up by the moderators to finalize.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:12:21 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
The situation IS evolving still, and we will likely see more WHFB style games come and go. Also this covid year has been bad for gaming. Activity in the different subfora might change when people get to meet each other again and play games.

For example

The Ninth Age: despite it having 1K+ threads, T9A discussion has been mainly supported by visitors from T9A forum. It was active five years ago, but seems to have dried up already two years ago, as that gaming community seems to have encapsulated. Does it need an own subforum?

Kings of War: never seems to have been that popular in here, and has seen little discussion over the past year or two. The game is older than T9A, and some of the threads go back almost ten years by now.

9th ed/Warhammer Armies Project: people simply write into the Elector Count's, or mention the game passingly in their B&P plogs. I guess that is warranted since the game is a direct WHFB iteration which takes place in the Warhammer setting. It doesn't even have a name of its own, just 9th ed!

Then we have a big reveal coming, probably this year, as GW plans their return to the Old World. Depending on the approach of that game, it might fit the WHFB line or warrant its own subforum alongside WHFB and AoS. It might sweep the table clean of competitive 'middle-school' type fantasy battles iterations, such as KoW and Oathmark, or it might lead into these games becoming more popular, or even both. Thus, it might be wise to wait and see what kind of a game the W:TOW is before altering the subfora.

I don't mean to speculate. Just warming up the discussion of why we group these games as we do.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
The mods have an open discussion regarding the return of the Old World, and we are at the moment waiting similarly as was done with W:AoS.

That is an interesting viewpoint regarding 9th Age, and perhaps it could be combined with Kings of War and Oathmark, plus other possible fantasy battle games, thanks for sharing. :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:31:05 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
I don't mind merging the KoW and 9h age topics and adding Oathmark and any other larger scale fantasy battle games
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
9th Age has been changed to Other Fantasy Battle Games, and all Kings of War threads have been merged into it.

Working on Oathmark threads next.  If anyone knows of others, let us know. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
I would greatly appreciate an Oathmark tread!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!