home

Author Topic: Mounting a wizard lord on the buff wagon  (Read 3673 times)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Mounting a wizard lord on the buff wagon
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
Gents - 120 pts to mount your Wiz Lord on a buff Wagon....

So he get's a better LOS, 5+ 6++ saves ,

any other benefits?!

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline GambitGriffin

• Members
Re: Mounting a wizard lord on the buff wagon
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
Better mobility? Could be useful in a all mounted army.

Offline Joey_Boy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »
I can see the worth of it when playing with 2 STanks. The lack of points in rare makes a lvl3 Celestial Wizard lord a nifty option. I would probably back him up with a lvl4 life on foot and go with an all combat list(ICKnights with GW, smaller lancer knights, Archer diverters, DGK's and the STanks). The Lore of Heaven and Life work very well with this type of list as one can heal the multi-wound units and both wizards can buff them with spells that seems to be built to support this type of list. And the Hurricanum adds the +1 to hit bonus where it's needed the most.

Other then in a list like that. No there really is no benefits that I can think off, not saying there is not something that I have missed.

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
He get's a 6+ armoursave (and 6++ wardsave if he's on a Luminark). He still has a 90* LoS, it's not a Screaming Bell, it's a regular chariot.
It also eats up 120/130 pts of your Lord-allowance instead of your Rare-allowance.
(Down- or upside, it depends on what sort of points you lack the most.)

The downside is that he will get a big red crosshair on his forehead - any cannon/stonethrower/template that hits the chariot will hit him as well.

I would never, ever put my Wizardlord on a Hurricanum/Luminark.

Better mobility?

A wizard can march and cast spells, so their movement is the same.
In all-cav lists you're better of mounting him on a barded warhorse and place him in a unit of Knights.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »
It means the enemy can kill 2 things it really wants to kill, while only shooting at one target.

No thanks.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »
I don't get why they charge 120 pts for the privilege ?

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »
I don't get why goblin shaman lords can ride the spider

"PLEASE SHOOT MY 450 POINT UNIT"

er, no.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
It is kind of okish if there are no enemies with artillery around...still it really decreases the effectivity of both units for no gain at all.

I have to agree on this point that it is very bad design on those entries.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
If there were a synergy buff for having him on there (the Lumminark's death ray shoots an extra 6" per Wizard level / +1 to all casting and dispel attempts made from the back of the thing etc.) then it might be worth it. As it is, it is much better to field them as separate things.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline polybus11

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
It is kind of okish if there are no enemies with artillery around...still it really decreases the effectivity of both units for no gain at all.

I have to agree on this point that it is very bad design on those entries.

It is only bad design on the part of 8th edition rulebook.  I am guessing 9th edition will make this viable again.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
I don't get why goblin shaman lords can ride the spider

"PLEASE SHOOT MY 450 POINT UNIT"

er, no.
Because then you can field 3 Arachnaroks in one list.

Plus, the catchweb spidershrine looks awesome. :D

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »
Arachnaroks are over priced anyway, so fielding 3 is more of a handicap than a boon.

Pass the machete.

Offline Minsc

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
If there were a synergy buff for having him on there (the Lumminark's death ray shoots an extra 6" per Wizard level / +1 to all casting and dispel attempts made from the back of the thing etc.) then it might be worth it. As it is, it is much better to field them as separate things.

Another missed opportunity from Mr.Cruddace.

I can easily see a fix for this: The Luminark/Hurricanium's boundspells get +3/+4 to cast if mounted by a lvl3/lvl4, and the Luminarks spell does D6 wounds instead of D3 / the Hurricanum can add or substract one from the roll, if mounted by a wizard.

At least that would mean that it would be a though decision if you brought a light/heavens-wizard: do I want to mount them on my Luminark/Hurricanum, or do I want them on foot?
As it is now though, it's a nobrainer to have the wagons run on their own - but then I don't think anyone is surprised, because Cruddace has proven over and over that he has no clue what the words "internal balance" means.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:46:12 PM by Minsc »

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
If you're already running 2 steamtanks and a war altar, the opponent has no shortage of targets for cannons.

If the choice comes down to buying a 110 point xbow unit as a mage bunker or buying a 120 point wagon for him and increasing target saturation, I could see it at least meriting consideration.

It IS odd that there isn't any synergy for putting the mage up there and agree in general it is way better to not have him up there.

When best that can be said is that in one VERY SPECIFIC kind of list it may be not be COMPLETELY TERRIBLE to put him up there, well, that's not a very ringing endorsement. 

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 05:54:07 PM »
I might do it a couple of times because he look awesome up there, but other than that there isn't really any reason to, it depends how much artillery you generally face and how confident you are that your own cannons can deal with it before they target your wizz.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline tcklein

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 06:09:55 PM »
You'd think they would at least get lore master on their respective rides.

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »
I still cringe when I see the wizard wagons, and even the new war altar... they're just so... oversized.

Almost as bad as the giant pigeon.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Minsc

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
Bigger is better!

I actually like the new griffon, if you skip the hideous twin-head and go for the one (slightly bigger) head which got a helmet on it.

Offline Ratarsed

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
It's only really cannons you seriously need to worry about. Stone throwers scatter 2/3 of the time and randomise the big hit. There is a good chance a wizard will survive their attention long enough for your cannons to remove the threat. Certainly against armies that do not have access to cannons you should be okay. It's only really tournament lists where it would be a bad idea. I think and against Elves, Undead, Chaos and to some extent Ogres you should get away with it much of the time. I'd definately say a 4+ ward on the wizard is a must no matter who you are facing!

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
I still cringe get all tingly when I see the wizard wagons, and even the new war altar... they're just so... oversized awesome.

Almost as bad awesome as the giant pigeon majestic griffon.

There I fixed that for you  :engel:

I just put my war altar together and length-wise it looks shorter than the old one, but it is a lot taller.  The buff wagon is coming together nicely, though I prefer the look of the Luminark.

Dunno if I'll ever put a Wizard Lord on it though -- unless I pop a talisman onto him.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Hetelic

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:21 PM »
You'd think they would at least get lore master on their respective rides.

This. Especially since the model comes with a library inside :p

Offline Souppilgrim

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:06 PM »
It is kind of weird that putting him on just a regular horse is a better option.