home

Author Topic: Refurbishing Old Buildings For Current Living ...  (Read 2127 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Refurbishing Old Buildings For Current Living ...
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 05:13:57 PM »
Here is a refurbished pub into a house in Westminster London ... can't seem to tell it was once a pub ... interesting, yet not really my cup of tea ... would have preferred seeing what they did with the building if it hadn't been gutted ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEBpc9Q9TV8

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 12:37:48 PM »
This person started this project when he was  25 with a loan for $90,000.  Seems to have come out nicely and simply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvfeOD46M0w

Not sure I'd be interested in Cincinnati, yet love what they are doing to the down town to bring it back.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 02:39:30 AM »
And this is not refurbishing, but instead preserving because he was required to save it ...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRrlu9m64k

I'm not sure what to make of it.  Does feel like it has been preserved and now livable, all through what he calls being pragmatic and poetic which is what he says that architecture does.  Can't see myself seeking something like this out, yet there is a certain intriguingness about it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 12:35:33 PM »
Another apartment in Venice just put up on video, I'm imagining the price is a good bit ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_amFfhVYoo

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2021, 08:41:23 PM »
Here someone has turned a ballroom in to living appartments ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Iq-3nH5Jo

The modern look does seem to work with most of it, although I can only imagine how cool that ballroom must have been for dancing before it was turned into living space.  I also enjoyed seeing the outside pictures of the neighborhood and the garden area.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
A buildling being renovated in Florence for a max of 30 living units, but folks could choose to link more than one of the units together ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01n1OpfuYG4

Freaking high ceilings, yet the unit shown seemed a bit low in square footage for my tastes.

I have more space in my current place than one of these, although mine isn't quite as modernly updated, nor in Florence. :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2021, 05:33:11 PM »
Here's a 12th to 14th century Italian property that needs serious refurbishment ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Kgj5Ftb5w

Not sure I'd take this project on.  However, it's sitting on about 2.5 acres of land, and has what seems to be the original tower with the remains of a latter stone building and walls that were added at some point.  The walks the south side of the stone walls of the additional building.

Only 180,000 Euros, plus the realtor says you'll need to get a road into it for 50 to 60K euros.  And then of course the rest of the refurbishing, and any new structure (the latter if permitted).

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2021, 08:20:59 PM »
Holy horror cakes!
Dynamite and a bulldozer is the only answer to that I’m afraid
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2021, 10:10:53 PM »
 :icon_lol:

Since it is in Italy, their are likely laws that keep folks from taking such places down.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2021, 12:31:02 PM »
Always thought it would be neat to own a brownstone somewhere.  here is a refurbished one in Brooklyn NY ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQBKniR-YDM

In the kitchen, I'd have some one get rid of the far set of drawers so the counter could be a walk around.  Especially to have the ability for direct access out of the kitchen to the huge renovated cellar (maybe a hobby room!) and the porch/yard area out the back.  I like the elevate outdoor space behind the 2nd floor back bedroom, awesome!  I could also see myself turning the 3rd floor into hobby space.  Plenty of closets, and another if one doesn't need two washers/dryers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »
Restored Italian Villa from the 1300s in the Nicone Valley on the border of Umbria and Tuscany ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMCm3NGtXU

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2021, 01:04:26 PM »
By the way ... don't drop your jaw to the floor ... but that place above goes for 3.9 million Euros. :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
Want a brown stone in Harlem? Probably not my idea of where I'd live, but they've done this place up nicely ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jvtpGp_Idc

... it even has a pool and sauna in the basement.  I'd turn the latter into a wine cellar.  And there's got to be a room there that can be used for hobbies. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »
Here is a place in Spain, an hour away from Barcelona as they say, and it has an ancient Templar castle nearby, and opens onto a waterway as well as rustic views of the small village that dates back to the medieval times ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d5PaTYGZ-c

I'm not convinced that this would fit me, space wise across the scope of the building nor height wise, although I like how the architects have used some modern building ideas to expand it's liveability, while incorporating the things from its history.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2021, 01:06:17 AM »
My previous house was an old house.
It needed a LOT of work. We have since moved and have a much more modern house, with the front shell of an old house.

I live in a newer house, and it still requires work and maintenance. Roots from an Oak tree broke a sprinkler line and spent the better part of a sunday afternoon cutting away roots and replacing PVC pipes.

I do have a dream of moving out to the western part of the US and getting a nice log cabin, away from peeps on a nice chunk of land.

But then Covid happened and peeps from Cali jumped all over them. And still are.

The backup plan is now back east, in the mountains, but less log cabin and more just an older home, tucked away on some land.

While I cringe at working on the house I live in now, its mostly because its already in great shape and I don't want to screw anything up. I do not plan on retiring here though, and will eventually sell it.

But wherever I end up will be the home I retire in, and I don't think I will be concerned as much about the look of it as I do the with the one I have now. I can't explain it. I guess with me being where I am in my life, I do want something nice. I have family and friends over often, and that sort of thing.

But in my later years I am not going to care about that as much, and whatever I buy is going to be more about the location and being away from people than it is about the actual house, so I am expecting a lot of work, and aren't worried about the craftsmanship like I am now lol.

I have been following real estate pretty closely in some states for the last 3 years, going down the rabbit hole on digging wells, off the grid living, etc etc, and was really forming a distant plan to work towards and Covid really screwed it up.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2021, 01:24:36 AM »
Well, and the real estate market in the U.S. is wacky at the moment anyway.  And I don't say that lightly.  It is definitely a sellers market at the moment, demand being high, people are paying higher than usual prices and willing to substantially out bid others to get what they want.  If a person waits a year or two, it'll get easier, patience is a virtue.