home

Author Topic: WFB Long Term Plans: What Figure Lines ?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
WFB Long Term Plans: What Figure Lines ?
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:29:26 PM »
For my long term plans I want to be using figure lines that have a good old school feel to them.  What other figure lines are out there that could help with this?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 02:33:23 AM by GamesPoet »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: WFB Long Term Plans
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:25:29 PM »
For oldschool feel, especially dwarfs, these come to my mind:

http://whiteknightminiatureimperium.blogspot.com/

https://eoeorbisuk.com/collections/fantasy/range_dwarves

Ral Partha has a couple of different Dwarf lines, some oldschool Orcs, and probably some Humans too:
http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/

Check the Fantasy Warband section and the Ral Partha Fantasy section. DSA/Dark Eye might have something too.

Midlam Miniatures has a strong oldschool vibe, although it doesn't always fit the Citadel style:
https://www.midlamminiatures.co.uk/

Then Kev Adams has sculpted massive numbers of greenskins, mostly goblins, for various companies. Maybe just google him by name?

I think the human/Fighter/DoW kind of models could be actually the hardest to find. Because, quite honestly, many 80's models were clumsy, and few companies willingly reproduce the clumsiness. Maybe just go for historical landsknecht or gothic look? Foundry is probably your best call, since they have a vast sortiment of metal minis sculpted by the Perry brothers: https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/early-16th-century-renaissance

Foundry also has a sister company, Warmonger miniatures that produces explicitly fantasy minis, for different races:
https://www.warmongerminiatures.com/pages/about-us

They have also redone some OOP Citadel minis: https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/ex-citadel-games-workshop-fantasy-sci-fi

Actually, if you want consistency and want to deal with ex-Citadel people and some ex-Citadel sculpts, Foundry probably is your best choice.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 02:58:52 PM »
023’s blog was a great source of alternative model sources. One I recall was BlackTree who made good Dwarves?
The Priestly brothers plastics sets for War of the Roses were very popular I believe too.
I also quite like a lot of the Deus Vult models too.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:27:38 AM »
One thing i have found is that some places will do an army deal for used models. I don't think i've paid over $400 CAD for a 4,000 point starter army yet, and I have them all, with official models. I don't get the obsession with NOS for this hobby. A couple of the armies i got are beautifully done as well. No need for painting, just match with the extra models i grabbed

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 09:52:19 AM »
NOS means?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Heinrich von Kampfmann

• Members
  • May Sigmar guide my blade
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 10:31:07 AM »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 10:43:30 AM »
I see.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 01:33:56 PM »
Some people like to assemble them the way they want, and if already made, then they are stuck with it that way, or potentially damage the models to repair. Sometimes terrible paintjobs hide assembly issues too.

Not saying I prefer NOS - it depends what I am buying and how much converting I am going to perform anyway or what bits I might want from a sprue as well as the model
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 04:28:08 AM »
I get that, but there's something to be said for getting an army for $100 compared to half a unit lol. when I got my empire army starter i kept half the models: 25 knights, old metal griffon, 5 winged lancers, 32 handgunners, a warrior priest, 25 halberdiers, 20 swordsmen, helblaster, 2 cannons, a mortar, and a big carrying case for $250 cad. I sold the other half of the models (stupidly) for 125. Should have kept everything haha.

My ogre army was 250. including three forgeworld rhinoxen.

dwarfs were 400, sold off stuff i didn't need for 300. ended up with 17,000 points of mostly metal minis, including almost enough for a 3k soc slayers list.

I buy NOS for a few armies because i found them cheap. but I don't value NOS more than money lol

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 09:38:51 AM »
Just realized NOS could also mean Not Off Sprue. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline Heinrich von Kampfmann

• Members
  • May Sigmar guide my blade
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 12:09:31 PM »
Just realized NOS could also mean Not Off Sprue. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

True!  :::cheers:::

About this thread, for me, as long as it's not broken or utterly destroyed with paint, I don't mind second hand minis. I find trading stuff satisfying, and the price is much lower. For exempel I traded 1 archaon on foot and some random bitz for over 100 6th edition dark elf warriors. Waaay more than I'll likely need. Just had to remove moldlines, base them and then prime. Then sold some other oop metal I'll never used and bought hydras, bolt throwers, blackguards, executioners etc.

Buying 5 boxes of new coreeleves would retail about 1350 sek and Archaon goes for about 600 sek on Ebay/tradera etc.
Sold some oop empire metals for 750kr. Used that cash, added a few golden coins of my own, and got 2 metal hydras, 40 black guards, reaper bolt throwers and executioners. Now that's a lot cheaper compared to new models in box.
Also, the best deal. A dark elf dragon with rider, 30 corsairs, more warriors and cool bits for 400sek. Sold the corsairs for 400sek to another guy = free dragon!

Would be hard to justify spending over 3000sek now as a parent on minis, but trading/selling magic cards or other warhammer stuff feels great. Happier wife too ^^ Just a bit more work to get those deals. But soo satisfying!  :icon_wink:

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 05:27:57 AM »
^ very nice.