home

Author Topic: Art Thread, Old World Style!  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Art Thread, Old World Style!
« on: June 24, 2021, 06:01:50 PM »
I've got another boring day before work, killing time skimming some fun warhammer themed art, and figured I'd make a thread for everyone to enjoy. Following up on my AoS version, feel free to post your own folks. Call back to some of the great Warhammer art pieces that captured your imagination.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
Re: Art Thread, Old World Style!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 06:15:11 PM »
Very nice, there's a lot of good art (and fluff) in wfb.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:48:06 AM »

I've always loved that Black Guard of Morr with the skull helm. I love it so much I've got a unit of them planned for the future.

One thing that always fascinated me about Warhammer as a whole when I was growing up was all the amazing artwork on the boxes. Empire state troops, knightly orders, the undead zombies, Cadians of various standing to name but a few that I remember. Those were the good times indeed.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »
The greatsword with the skull helmet reminds me of the misleading artwork for the woeful z-movie Ator4: the Iron warrior.
And no, Ator 4 has nothing to do with chaos space marines

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 11:18:15 AM »
 A lot of my favorite art from WFB is in the Undead, Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings books

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »

I've always loved that Black Guard of Morr with the skull helm. I love it so much I've got a unit of them planned for the future.

One thing that always fascinated me about Warhammer as a whole when I was growing up was all the amazing artwork on the boxes. Empire state troops, knightly orders, the undead zombies, Cadians of various standing to name but a few that I remember. Those were the good times indeed.

One of the most disappointing things to me ever is when GW started removing the art from the front of the boxes. It was amazing, and easily one of the most effective things in getting me to buy a box. Huge chunks of my collection I didn't get cause it fit my army or whatever. I got it because that box art looks freaking sweet.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 03:34:15 PM »
One of the most disappointing things to me ever is when GW started removing the art from the front of the boxes. It was amazing, and easily one of the most effective things in getting me to buy a box. Huge chunks of my collection I didn't get cause it fit my army or whatever. I got it because that box art looks freaking sweet.

Totally agree. It saddens me that I do have some of the old boxes with the artwork but over the years when they were in the loft or the garage (when I clearly haven't appreciated them as much as I should) they've gotten squashed, torn, painted/glued and are generally pretty beat up. I considered framing a few of the ones I can salvage once upon a time and still might if I'm honest.

I know you can purchase art directly off https://warhammerart.com/ but sadly the Old World stuff is long gone.