home

Author Topic: Marienburg DoW 2250pts---A Different Format Army List-  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Jusk

• Members
Marienburg DoW 2250pts---A Different Format Army List-
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »
Hi.

I know I have changed my theme a multitude of times, and obviously my list, but this is the one I am keeping with for now.

The army is a DoW army for now, but is easily playable as a smaller points scale Empire army, as everything substitutes in.

But for now, to be able to play bigger games quickly I am using the DoW, based in and around Marienburg.

I have written this list up in two different ways. If you have the time, please read the long, fluffy list. However, if you do not, I have placed the list in a normal format at the bottom for those in a rush.

To Johann Ritterkast from Hans Luimann.

My dear Sir,

The army you have requested for your voyage into the land of Brettonia from our fair city has been gathered up. My runners and I have scoured the docks, shipwrights and most importantly the bars for any willing mercenaries. Theses rogues will come with no quarrels, for I offered those lucrative contracts, nothing you cannot afford though my liege. I only picked the best men, and hope you are pleased with my efforts.

Obviously I will be joining you, as your Paymaster. I will bring my best suit of Heavy Armour, and also bring the Shield, that wizard Enchanted for me many years ago, it has also saved me, and kept your key safe. I will take my normal fee of 69 crowns.

I trust that you will be equipped as per usual sir. A General of a Mercenary army such as you, Sir, should not leave for battle with a trusty suit of Heavy Armour, and also a Shield. I believe you also wanted that old magic Sword you always carry, the one that helps in your Striking of the enemy. I fortunately located it again after you lost it in that gambling game, however it cost me 121 crowns, and a bad reputation for violence down at the ‘Blackpowder Inn’.

There is also the matter of Jean Licherhaff, the Mercenary Captain we have done business with many times, Sir. He has great command over many of the Freelance Knights in the area, and they could be very useful for our campaign. He only wears his Heavy Armour, no magical nonsense for him. He also often carries a Shield and is always armed with a Lance, whilst riding atop his Armoured Warhorse. He will more often than not accompany his Knights and lead the charge. Jean is a relatively simple man, and as such we can afford to pay him less, he accepted my very reasonable offer of 74 crowns.

Finally, we can always depend on your good friend Alysindar Aryseh, the Elven Wizard and his accomplices. I believe he will be useful upon our campaign, as a deterrent to foul magic, despite not being the best wizard, and no-where near the level some heroic wizards can get too, he knows how to use his two ancient Scrolls, that, as we have seen before, have the ability to Dispel magical effects and stop them in their tracks. Alysindar does however charge quite a lot for his services, but it is worth it, bearing in mind his usefulness, and the allies he can bring. He cost your pay chest 110 crowns.

I have managed to round up a reputable group of mercenaries, the most common sort, those armed with Pikes. They are a range of men, most from the City Watch, or ex-Watch who hire their services out to the highest bidder. They often form themselves into two blocks of twenty four, meaning their would be space in their formation for you to join them should you wish, and possible for Alysindar too. Both units bring their own Banners adorned with their colours, and their own Musicians for encouragement. The leaders of these units are Champions in their own right, and have partaken in many battles, their names are Otto Umlaut, and Richter von Haigh. To hire both these regiments out cost a vast amount, but I am sure they are worth their fee, as we are to face many Knights in Brettonia, where the Pike excels. In total all 48 men cost 540 crowns.

Along with these I found ten well trained Crossbowmen, a humorous mix of Dwarfs and Men, where the men often lean their Crossbows on the heads of their Dwarfen colleagues. These men only cost 80 crowns and will be much appreciated on the battlefield.

Down by the docks I found an assortment of rogues, villains, sailors and privateers alike. Many of these men like to make a quick fortune and live for adventure. In fact, not all of them are men; I managed to find some hardened Dwarfen adventurers who were on for some fighting, especially when they here it was on the ‘flowery, no good, nancy boy, cheese eating, surrender Umgis’ are the Brettonians. These Dwarfs were lead by a certain Dwarf Champion called Jusk, a old, sea bitten Privateer, who had a bird from the New World on his shoulder, and only one eye. He pledge himself and 19 of his crew, making twenty dwarfs in total. They all arm themselves with bucklers, which they use skilfully as Shields, and where Heavy leather coats in the place of Armour. They bring their own Standard and the ships Drummer to remind them of the sea. Jusk asked for an affordable price for his services, only 210 crowns.

They also pledged two of their ships Cannons, affectionately known as Segi and Skeggi. Will only have to pay for shells used, which by Jusk’s calculations is on average 170 crowns worth per battle.

The docks also brought to my attention some other brigands, fencers, gallant fools, agitators and Duellists; I payed for many of these mercenaries to join us, in order to protect our Pikemen from being flanked, and being rendered useless. Twenty of them were masters of the pistol, and would be split into Two bands of Ten men, one for each pike block. When paying each one individually, some higher rates than others, I only spent a total of 180 crowns, a good price as I have some very clever tactics for these men, but I will tell you in person.

Other brigands were excellent fencers and swordfighter, each a master with the blade and Buckler combination. I hired twenty more, again in Two bands of Ten men. These men accepted lower offers, probably as they are glad to show of their skills to all who are around to watch. These men too may be enticed by the lure of the Brettonian Damsels they have read about in the filthy gazettes floating around the docks. Such gallant fools should be a useful asset to our army, and they only cost the chest 120 crowns.

As always, we can rely on Alysindar to encourage several of the haughtier inhabitants of this city to come to your aid. As we are venturing into an unknown land, I thought it wise to ask him to find the best horse riders and scouts there are as we are in need of Light Cavalry to discover more about the terrain as we press forward. He managed to find ten elves that train their horses in the Wasteland everyday, and are said to be deadly accurate with their Bows and lethal with their Spears, able to take any job on in the battlefield. One amazing fact however is that both groups, employ an Elven Musician, who can play such sweet, delectable music in the face of the enemy, something many would find hard to do. To be more useful on the battlefield the Elves split into Two groups of Five. To hire them was a dear 190 crowns.

Finally, Jean Licherhaff’s extensive contacts managed to find us a huge fifteen of his Freelance Cavalry, which will make a Heavy impact on our campaign. Each of the Three bands are compromised of Five horsemen, who have spent many years fighting together all over the Old World, but still regard Marienburg as home. Jean tells me that each employs a Musician, often equipped with a horn, as to declare their thundering charge. He also mentioned that he has only found the best equipped horsemen, but only as they are for you, Sir. He said that due to their experience they can all afford Barding for their mounts, apparently a luxury in the Freelance world. Jean is likely to join a Group of these men, for he often likes to lead from the front, so you should not have to worry about them, he is a very capable leader. Even with Jean performing the trade, rather than me, as he is more trusted by them, the price was a huge 360 crowns; lets hope they perform well.

In total, Sir, I only spent just under 2250 crowns, a very good price for such a vast and varied army.

That is all my liege, and I will meet with you later in the week to discuss further arrangements and battle orders.

Yours faithfully

Hans Luimann.
Or to put it more simply:

Johann Ritterkast
Mercenary General, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sword of Striking.

Jean Licherhaff
Mercenary Captain. Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armour, Shield Lance.

Hans Luimann

Paymaster. Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield

Alysindar Aryseh
Wizard, 2 Dispel Scrolls

The Watch
24 Pikemen. Full Command.
24 Pikemen. Full Command.

The Duellists
10 Duellists, Pistols
10 Duellists, Pistols
10 Duellists, Bucklers
10 Duellists, Bucklers

Jusk’s Lads
20 Dwarfs, Heavy Armour, Shields, Full Command

Alysindar’s  Elves
5 Light Cavalry, Musician, Spears, Bows,
5 Light Cavalry, Musician, Spears, Bows,

The Free Lancers
5 Heavy Cavalry, Barding, Musician,
5 Heavy Cavalry, Barding, Musician,
5 Heavy Cavalry, Barding, Musician, Standard 

Seggi and Skeggi
Cannon
Cannon

Please tell me what you think of both the list, and of the format.

Thanks

Jusk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:37:48 PM by Jusk »
'Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for'

Offline cubantie

• Members
  • cat in a hat
Re: Marienburg DoW 2250pts---A Different Format Army List-
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:46:44 PM »
you could have put the easy to read list first  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_wink:

anyway you defanetly want sword of might on your general. Sword of striking is.. okay, if you have a base 5 strength, but 4 just doesnt cut it. Else just give him a lance.

I would give your light cav either bows or spears, as you will be tempted to avoid marching to shoot many a time, which can be a disadvantage.. Really just go with spears imo.

Bucklers, although fluffy, is really not a good idea on duelists. First off, you really dont want them in combat with rank and file where it maybe could be a little useful, as they dont negate rankbonus, and are easy to kill anyway, which means -CR for you. Give them all pistols. They can shoot them, AND it counts as an extra hand weapon ;O. You want as many attacks as possible when they do get into combat to kill warmachine crew or whatever.

Else it seems alright
The Dane: "Where's Leo?"
Irish Hoodlum: "If I tell ya, how do I know you're not gonna kill me?"
The Dane: "Cuz if ya told me and I killed ya and you were lyin' I wouldn't get to kill ya then!

Offline Jusk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:59:19 PM »
I understand your points on the Fast Cav and General's weapon, and will change them most probably.

I should change the Buckler Duellists to have pistols, but after removing the Bows from the Cav and changing the weapon on the General I still need 15 points. Any ideas where to get them from?

I forgot to outline the basic plan too :icon_rolleyes:

The Pike Blocks with their duellist 'Detachments' are advance towards infantry armies, or in the case of Brets, only manouver slightly to gain advantage. One unit of Duellists will be placed in front of the blocks (atm the ones with Pistols) and screen them until they get close to enemy lines. Hopefully the enemy will be drawn into charging them, either foolishly, or seeing the damage the pistols can do. They would then flee, through the Pike block (both have General and Paymaster nearby to help with psychology), leaving the enemy stranded infront, or maybe in combat with, the pike block.

The other Duellists act like Reman legion Archers, with baiting, redirecting and support charges as their main priorities. That was one reason I gave them Bucklers, to increase durability, but maybe Add Hand weapons may be a better object if they want to beat off other skirmishers/support?

Opinions still welcome.

Jusk
'Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for'

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 02:43:46 AM »
Well the 15 points could just be Talisman of Protection on your paymaster or general...
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline CaptScott

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 07:14:09 AM »
Cool, though I don't think many tourney organisers will like it...
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline cubantie

• Members
  • cat in a hat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »
do the duelists have to be 10 in size? Else drop a couple on the redirection ones to add the pistols. 10 is alot to throw away if they get caught, and pistols are just amazing : >. Else you can give them additional handweapon.. but really the pistols are preffered, as they count as an additional handweapon + Gives you armour piercing shots. THis way you can use them for more rolls.

How much does pistols cost anyway?
The Dane: "Where's Leo?"
Irish Hoodlum: "If I tell ya, how do I know you're not gonna kill me?"
The Dane: "Cuz if ya told me and I killed ya and you were lyin' I wouldn't get to kill ya then!