home

Author Topic: 2000 pt 8th edition army list  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Herr Thrun

• Members
2000 pt 8th edition army list
« on: July 16, 2010, 04:43:03 PM »
With the new edition having come out I've been playing games like crazy but I'm still trying to find a good combination that will work. Recently I came up with the following as an idea for a 2000 point list. Any suggestions or critiques would be appreciated.

Templar Grand Master       Lord   Dawn Armour, laurels of victory                                   235
Warrior Priest                       Hero   Armor of meteoric Iron, Sigil of Sigmar, Great weapon   134
Battle Standard Bearer       Hero   Full plate armor Gryphon standard                                   138
Battle Wizard                       Hero   2nd lvl, ring of volans                                                   120

Swordsman unit               Core   Unit of 30, full command   205
Halberd Detachment       Core   Unit of 10                           50
Handgunner unit               Core   Unit of 10                           80

Greatsword Unit               Special   Unit of 30, full command   330
Halberd Detachment       Core   Unit of 10   50
Handgunner unit               Core   Unit of 10   80

Pistoleers                            Special               Unit of 5                   90
Great Cannon                       Special                                              100
Knights of the Broken Sword   Special   Unit of 9, Full command   274

Hellblaster Volley Gun        Rare      110

Total         1996

Offline anvalous

• Members
Re: 2000 pt 8th edition army list
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »
Doesn't look too bad, though your composition is off.  Unless I'm mistaken, you have to have 25% core and detachments don't count.  You'd be set if you dropped your knights to normal (look like IC right now) so they'd fill that req.

Greatsword are an interesting beast in this edition.  I've seen reports of hordes working well, but the point investment is really high.  I like units of 18 or 21 running 6x3 or 7x3.  I don't get the horde rule, but I save a lot of points and still have significant killy power.  Having that big unit of GSs as well as a big unit of knights really sucks a lot of points away from other options, namely shooting and war machines.

I'd consider figuring out a way to up that unit of swordmen to 40 and their halberd detachment to 15.  Pistoliers are a nice element, as are the handgunners.  Your helblaster is cool, but 'd be happier with it if you had an engineer in the list.  That'd be my first target to drop from the list to make the changes, actually.

In sum:  See where you're at after....
1.  Dropping IC from your knights, maybe increasing them to 11 in number ~ fulfills core req.
2.  Dropping your helblaster ~ nice to have, but points would be nice for more state troops
3.  Dropping your GSs to 21 (if you still need the points) ~ doubt you'll need to do this

4.  Increasing your swordsmen to 40 and their halberd detachment to 15
5.  Swap the ring of Volans on your mage for the rod of power.

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck!

Offline Herr Thrun

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice... I can understand where you're coming from on most points and I've been considering on swapping out my Templar grandmaster for a general of the empire in order to get the banner and also bulk up my core unit of troops, I'm probably going to lessen the amount of great swords because in the past 10 games I've played my hell blaster has really helped out with guarding the flank so far. Also I'm wondering if I should keep the knights in a block of 10 and use them as a hammer unit or simply divide them into 2 units of 5... Also I've been considering taking out the gryphon standard because it's a lot of points in one banner and I've been finding my swords have the tendency to break against my usual opponent of warriors of chaos

A potential revised army list would be as following....

General of the empire   Armor of meteoric Iron, Mace of Helstrum   165
Warrior Priest   Armor of meteoric Iron, Sigil of Sigmar, Great weapon   134
Battle Standard Bearer   Full plate armor, Sazor Standard   128
Battle Wizard 2nd lvl, Rod of power    130
Master engineer  Repeater pistol   75

Swordsman unit   Unit of 40, full command   265
Halberd Detachment   Unit of 15           75
Handgunner unit   Unit of 10        80

Greatsword Unit   Unit of 20, full command, Standard of discipline   245
Halberd Detachment   Unit of 10        50
Handgunner unit   Unit of 10    80

Pistoleers           Unit of 5   90
Great Cannon   100
Knights of the Broken Sword   Unit of 10 , Full command           270

Hellblaster Volley Gun   110

Total         1997

Offline Nordland General

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
Hi Thrun

I like you large infantry units, use of detachments and heroes choices. However, I think I would personally try and get another cannon or mortar into the list. Possibly drop your priest, or pistolers or drop 5 of your 15 halbs and/or reduce knights down by a few notchs to get the required points.

ps. I may be wrong but I dont think you can take 2 of any one named magic item, so you cant have two sets of meteoric armour....

Good Luck!
Capt. Lubeck

Offline Herr Thrun

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »
Hmm well the mortar is useful in only a few situations.. but why another great cannon?