home

Author Topic: Question about mage bunkers  (Read 2255 times)

Offline 101st Vostroyan

• Members
Question about mage bunkers
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »
If Im hiding a mage in an archer unit, does it make sense to have a 10 man unit for 70 points, or would it make more sense to use an archer detachment so I can use anywhere from 5-10?

Is a 5-7 man detachment unit sufficient to protect my mage, or should I just use a normal minimum unit?

Offline dalezzz

• Members
Re: Question about mage bunkers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
detachments will have the added bonus of getting buffs from their parent units , not sure if any of them are any use of course :)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »
You need at least 5 rank and file models for the bunker. So, 5-7 is rather risky: lose just 1-3 models, and you do not have a bunker anymore.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
Take 10 as a detachment, with a captain or general in the main unit. Very small chance your wizard will run away when 3 archers get killed now.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:12:16 AM »
detachments will have the added bonus of getting buffs from their parent units , not sure if any of them are any use of course :)

Do detachments no longer lose the detachment bonuses if a character joins them?

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:41:12 AM »

Do detachments no longer lose the detachment bonuses if a character joins them?

Not as far as I can tell, I take a separate 10 man handgunner bunker for my engineer, I guess I could make it a detachment but a separate bunker gives me greater flexibility for placement (and an additional deployment drop). The detachment rules don't seem to provide any real benefits for shooting detachments so you may as well get the additional drop.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Gregourious

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
Take 10 as a detachment, with a captain or general in the main unit. Very small chance your wizard will run away when 3 archers get killed now.

I have run this a couple of times and it workes well. you also have the advantage of modility and -1 to shoot. They can also shoot that last man standing, which is a bonus.

G

Offline Forgotten Beast

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »
Personally I'd go for 10-20 models and not have them be a detachment. That way you also get a watchtower unit!