home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS  (Read 261972 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS
« Reply #1675 on: May 03, 2021, 05:49:25 PM »
This elegant model is covered in details that will delight painters of every skill level, including a variety of textures like wood, leaves, skin, and finely-wrought metal to experiment with.
Looks hellish to paint to me.
Yep, I can't see wanting to try.

I actually laughed when reading that.  The idea that GW has to sell someone on painting a figure like that is fairly amateurish in outlook, and an experienced painter isn't really going to be fooled by such mumbo jumbo.   I enjoy the painting side of this hobby, although I want to get as many figures for as many projects completed as possible.  Having figures like that for an army just isn't my preference.  Not even slightly attracted to it.

I have to say GP, are you really surprised that the marketing blurb for a shiny new model is going to use marketing buzz words to talk up said shiny new model?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1676 on: May 03, 2021, 05:50:55 PM »
its the AOS day of the online warhammer fest, so we've got lots of previews.

Havent checked but apparently this is a new model variation for the Radukar model from Cursed City. The CC model is his 'form' in that game for the adventure, and this is his I've-let-loose form to lead an army.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:54:05 PM by Gankom »

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1677 on: May 03, 2021, 05:58:09 PM »
In addition to the (gorgeous) new Direwolves, we get...

A vampire wolf grandmother:

A duel-build named character winged vampire centaur:

As Gankom said, Radukar, the big bad from Cursed City, has done an Incredible Hulk:

The final Broken Realms book, Kragnos, has introduced a new god of Destruction to oppose Gork and Mork:

Old Stonebeard
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1678 on: May 03, 2021, 05:58:49 PM »
Interestingly, looks like introducing some new bloodlines or familys for vampires.

Lauka Vai, the Mother of Nightmares
Vampires of the Avengorii dynasty seek to slake their thirst on the very largest and strongest prey – and they’re led to battle by Lauka Vai. Her twisted body rears up high over the battlefield – the splendour and horror of her form representing the darkly irresistible nature of the Soulblight Gravelords. Lauka Vai makes the perfect centrepiece to your collection, and we can’t wait to see how people paint her up.

(Weirds me out a lot. Probably not my favorite vamp style but it might look better with a different paint job.)

Also getting more Eastern Europe themed vamps.

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos

A vampire ancient beyond calculation – and a powerful sorcerer to boot – the matriarch of the Vyrkos is a force to be reckoned with. She’s said to be able to command Dire Wolves directly and even curse living mortals to become wolves with a gesture of her wizened hand.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1679 on: May 03, 2021, 05:59:36 PM »
Ha! Clearly we're both hanging out the same places today Old Stonebeard!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1680 on: May 03, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »
This elegant model is covered in details that will delight painters of every skill level, including a variety of textures like wood, leaves, skin, and finely-wrought metal to experiment with.
Looks hellish to paint to me.
Yep, I can't see wanting to try.

I actually laughed when reading that.  The idea that GW has to sell someone on painting a figure like that is fairly amateurish in outlook, and an experienced painter isn't really going to be fooled by such mumbo jumbo.   I enjoy the painting side of this hobby, although I want to get as many figures for as many projects completed as possible.  Having figures like that for an army just isn't my preference.  Not even slightly attracted to it.
I have to say GP, are you really surprised that the marketing blurb for a shiny new model is going to use marketing buzz words to talk up said shiny new model?
Surprised isn't my operative word. :icon_wink: :icon_lol: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1681 on: May 03, 2021, 07:24:11 PM »
I’m getting this!!!!!!!!☝️🍻🍾🎶

The centaur thing that is. 4 posts came in after I started the post 😺
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:26:40 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1682 on: May 03, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »
Haha, I know the feeling Atorban. I like the big ass centaur god of destruction (remarkably accurate for some mythology!) and also like the werevamps we got going on with the Eastern European themed ones. The purple hybrid looks messy to me so I'll be avoiding that, but not a direction I was expecting from GW vamps.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1683 on: May 03, 2021, 07:42:27 PM »
Re: Kragnos, I am very torn.

I love the model, and I'm glad they're placing Destruction front and center as we move into 3rd Edition now that Chaos and Death have had their time in the sun. That said...

... he looks like he should be Kurnothi (that's Kurnous for you WHFB old-timers), and for a model of this scale, they could have just as easily released the Dragon Ogor Shaggoth Kholek Suneater and given Beasts of Chaos a big bad of their own.

Old Stonebeard
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:34:04 PM by Old Stonebeard »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1684 on: May 03, 2021, 08:59:11 PM »
Quote Stonebeard :  they could have just as easily released the Dragon Ogor Shaggoth Kholek Suneater and given Beasts of Chaos a big bad of their own.

We can dream. I would be down for that model as well. Or the old one. Love it greatly
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1685 on: May 03, 2021, 09:19:25 PM »
Real talk, I love the *idea* of Dragon Ogors, but not the models. If they got a new range, I'd start a new army the minute they went up for pre-order.

As things stand, though, I'm excited to see what we get in the way of new Destruction/greenskin models. If Nighthaunt for 2nd and Necrons for 9th over on the 40k side are anything to go by, then it should be a big release- plus, we have those homeless wolf grots in Underworlds that need their own army (same as the Kurnothi aelves...) so maybe we'll see classic wolf riders get their own release, especially considering the wolf aesthetic of all this Cursed City stuff.

Old Stonebeard

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1686 on: May 03, 2021, 10:03:32 PM »
Did they ever make a Kholek model? I can’t remember.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1687 on: May 03, 2021, 10:20:41 PM »
They really were planning more undead figures in the spirit of Ulfenkarn, but the City being Cursed, it really was. :icon_wink:

:engel:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #1688 on: May 03, 2021, 10:22:03 PM »
Did they ever make a Kholek model? I can’t remember.
I don't think so; wasn't he just a Dragon Ogre Lord/Hero; a something-goth...?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1689 on: May 04, 2021, 08:24:48 AM »
Kinda.

Maybe someone here made an awesome version of him fitting exactly what I imagined. Moght have been on the Siege of Volanoff thread.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1690 on: May 04, 2021, 01:47:07 PM »
Kragnos looks amazing, though I find it a bit weird that he is heading up Ogres and Orks because he looks like he should be in charge of a herd not an army?

Dire wolves look sweet as, not their disposition mind you, just the sculpts. I wouldn't like to pet one...

Jury's out on the winged, centaur, dragon-assed vampires. The vampire top halves look great but from the waist down not so sure - I'm just picturing that enormous 6-limbed monstrosity trying to fly! But it does present something totally unique I guess.

As for wolfy and his gran they're ok for what they are, just not floating my boat.

Will be interesting to see where they go with these new bloodlines for vampires mind you, will be watching that one quite closely to see if we get any more and what their aesthetics and USP will be.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1691 on: May 04, 2021, 02:32:35 PM »
My sense is the head on the centaur dude is to small for its body, and the black things flowing off the top of its head don't help.  And yes, much more a leader for a beastman like army than an orc and goblin army, although I suppose he could hire orc and goblins.

I'm not liking the centaur vampires, the wings definitely won't hold up their bodies.  I do like the one on the wolf, and the human vibe for a vamp is more to my liking of a vampire.  The new version of Radukar is ok, and could see such being a beast or a vampire leader.

I saw a picture somewhere of this new Vampire Counts like army, and it clearly shows other rank and file figures that they're looking to produce, including the skeletons that have the same look as the Cursed City figures.  That'll be nice ot see if such is really released.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #1692 on: May 04, 2021, 03:49:25 PM »
Kragnos is pretty cool. That centaurpire is really stupid.
The undead woman on wolf should be based with snow, so that she can figure as a Kislevite vampire. Perhaps the parent of this gorgeous one:

Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1693 on: May 04, 2021, 04:34:51 PM »
Agreed the wolfy vamps need snowy bases. Missed opportunity there for sure.

I keep looking at the hybrid trying to figure out if I like it or not and I think I'm still leaning messy. Maybe a different paint job would help? I appreciate that they were going for something new at least.

Centaur god looks awesome. Also somewhat surprised they didn't give it to beastmen but maybe they feel they've tied the beastmen into chaos to much and needed something more for destruction. Actually I wouldnt mind if we got some crossover between beastmen and the destruction faction.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1694 on: May 04, 2021, 04:40:28 PM »
I keep looking at the hybrid trying to figure out if I like it or not and I think I'm still leaning messy. Maybe a different paint job would help? I appreciate that they were going for something new at least.

If nothing else they look like an easy conversion!

Vamp top half just needs some legs and the hybrid bottom bit just needs a suitably gnarly head - hey presto! :-P

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1695 on: May 04, 2021, 04:55:39 PM »

If nothing else they look like an easy conversion!

Vamp top half just needs some legs and the hybrid bottom bit just needs a suitably gnarly head - hey presto! :-P

Though on closer inspection they look like they might have a bit of an exposed muscly back linking in with the bottom half...

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1696 on: May 05, 2021, 01:22:09 AM »
and the black things flowing off the top of its head don't help.

Those are horns.

although I suppose he could hire orc and goblins.

Remember, Gorkamorka was a part of Sigmar's pantheon until the two-headed god felt too constrained by Sigmar's insistence on building civilizations up instead of tearing them down. Furthermore, ogors, grots, orruks and gargants are all much more faith-based in Age of Sigmar; in this new context, it makes sense that they could be inspired to follow a demigod of destruction. Kragnos' title is "the End of Empires", after all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFkCt0bLoI4

I'm not liking the centaur vampires, the wings definitely won't hold up their bodies.  I do like the one on the wolf, and the human vibe for a vamp is more to my liking of a vampire.  The new version of Radukar is ok, and could see such being a beast or a vampire leader.

I almost get the vibe that they're not meant to fly, they're just disgustingly grotesque.

I saw a picture somewhere of this new Vampire Counts like army, and it clearly shows other rank and file figures that they're looking to produce, including the skeletons that have the same look as the Cursed City figures.  That'll be nice ot see if such is really released.

Yep, looks like we're getting new Blood Knights, skeletons, zombies, and dire wolves. Corpse cart is confirmed staying, and despite having a new mounted Wight King model, it seems like the old black knights are staying, probably because they share a dual build with Nighthaunt.

Old Stonebeard

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1697 on: May 05, 2021, 01:46:48 AM »
Everyones talking about the group chat so here it is.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #1698 on: May 05, 2021, 02:44:16 AM »
What an awesome update for the Vampires!

The least popular models of the old range are replaced with awesome-looking plastics: zombies, bats, wolves, and Blood Knights. I'm planning to start my first real Age of Sigmar army.

Still not sure about that Nosferataur though.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1699 on: May 05, 2021, 03:51:09 AM »
Yes, not sold on the grotesque.

Unless of course we mean this ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxlJxDr26mM ... "A Symphony of Horrors".