home

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant  (Read 18048 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Dragon Rampant
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2021, 12:07:17 AM »
Latest critters for  the Dragon. Too bad I didn’t have 6 instead of five.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2021, 05:32:51 PM »
Very nice! I like that purple.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Very nice! I like that purple.

Thanks!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2021, 03:29:41 AM »
When reorganizing what little had been done on my Forgotten World  figures, I was wondering what Artoban had used for bases with his, and so called up this thread.  Looks like he used the round ones that come with the kits, and not the square ones.  As it turns out, the square one's are 25mm instead of the WFB size of 20mm, so now I am still undecided about what I will do. :icon_neutral:

I'm going to pull out the Dragon Rampant rules, and have another look at them.  Realize they are very similar to the Lion Rampant rules, and I've been playing these enough where it won't be tough to use the Dragon Rampant rules.  My curiosity is up with what I might be able to make from my Forgotten World figures for an army to take up into Canada for vacation after the border is reopened and the pandemic eases into a safer sense of the world.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 03:33:01 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2021, 03:16:01 AM »
So I have a nephew that was able to obtain enough Lizards continue on a path for a Lizardmen army, and he is currently making enough for a Dragon Rampant list of 24 points.

Meanwhile, I didn't like the sample lists in the bakc of the book for making a human conquistador fantasy force, along the line of what might be seen in Lustria.  So ... decided to create my own, which the writers of Dragon Rampant encourage, and this allows for creating all sorts fantasy options.

Here's the list currently for my fantasy Conquistadores ...

1 Heavy foot (12 figures = 4points), with it's associated Scouts unit (6 figures with handguns = 2 points)
1 Heavy foot (12 figures = 4points), with it's associated Scouts unit (6 figures with handguns = 2 points)
1 Elite Cavalry unit (6 figures = 6 points
1 Hero (1 figure unit on a Lizard mount = 6 points and fighting like an Elite cav force)

That's 24 points total. :icon_cool:

For the fun of it, I might try to come up with another list as well, although I lik the one above.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2021, 07:05:47 AM »
I was wondering what Artoban had used for bases with his, and so called up this thread.  Looks like he used the round ones that come with the kits, and not the square ones.  As it turns out, the square one's are 25mm instead of the WFB size of 20mm, so now I am still undecided about what I will do. :icon_neutral:

You could put your 25-30mm human-sized figures on round 20mm bases. You can then put them on trays where the side of individual square base is assumed to be 20mm. And you can get those 25mm rings to but around your 20mm bases, to upgrade them to 25mm round bases where the game absolutely needs those.

Or you can move to play Oathmark, where ranked-up infantry is always on 25mm bases, which can be round or square, depending on what kind of movement trays you build. Or move to play Kings of War, where the number of models on the unit tray is not dictated by the game.

But for friendly games, I would assume the base sizes aren't that important really.

Personally, I'm putting my historical/fantasy figures on 25mm round bases, and then playing rank-and-file games where individual base size is not that important. Just use trays that fit the game, and organize the figures on the tray as best. It's a bit problematic for med and hvy infantry, who are supposed to form tight units like pike blocks or shield walls.

But this approach is a luxury allowed by hundreds and hundreds of traditionally based Warhammer models, which I can use in that kind of games.

In the end, miniature game hobbyists tend to eventually build & paint so many models that you can eventually have several differently based armies for different games.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »
I was wondering what Artoban had used for bases with his, and so called up this thread.  Looks like he used the round ones that come with the kits, and not the square ones.  As it turns out, the square one's are 25mm instead of the WFB size of 20mm, so now I am still undecided about what I will do. :icon_neutral:
You could put your 25-30mm human-sized figures on round 20mm bases. You can then put them on trays where the side of individual square base is assumed to be 20mm. And you can get those 25mm rings to but around your 20mm bases, to upgrade them to 25mm round bases where the game absolutely needs those.
As it turns out, I remeasured the plastic bases that come with the Forgotten Worlds figures, and either size provided fits with the various other medieval figures I am using for Lion Rampant, and thus both types of bases easily fit for Dragon Rampant.  Now it is just a matter of what I'd prefer to do.

Or you can move to play Oathmark, where ranked-up infantry is always on 25mm bases, which can be round or square, depending on what kind of movement trays you build. Or move to play Kings of War, where the number of models on the unit tray is not dictated by the game.

But for friendly games, I would assume the base sizes aren't that important really.
Yep, I have figures based on both the square and round bases, and it really doesn't matter for the Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant games, plus the other rule sets in the same series.

I now have LR, DR, Pikemen's Lament, Rebels & Patriots, and The Men Who Would Be Kings.

Personally, I'm putting my historical/fantasy figures on 25mm round bases, and then playing rank-and-file games where individual base size is not that important. Just use trays that fit the game, and organize the figures on the tray as best. It's a bit problematic for med and hvy infantry, who are supposed to form tight units like pike blocks or shield walls.

But this approach is a luxury allowed by hundreds and hundreds of traditionally based Warhammer models, which I can use in that kind of games.

In the end, miniature game hobbyists tend to eventually build & paint so many models that you can eventually have several differently based armies for different games.
With the whole Rampant series of rules, I cross my figures from fantasy to historical, and care much less about the base sizes at this point.

By the time this Covid crud get done, I'll have multiple armies I can bring on a trip to where ever.  I have a brother in Wisconsisn, and would probably try to meet up with S.O.F. there as well.   Plus looking forward to connecting someday with Artoban and Gankom in Canada, would even  consider bringing an army to Europe to meet up with some W-E people on future trips there.  In fact, there is a historically aimed guy in France where he and his wife have a bed and breakfast, and they provide historical tours in the morning or during the day, with wargames in the afternoon or at night. These all sound like good vacations to me. :icon_mrgreen:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2021, 09:06:30 AM »
By the way, my medieval units that use with the Rampant rules system also use a 3-2-1 system for the bases where a person put 1 to 3 figures on a base, and the sizes vary ... 1 infantry on 25 or 30, and 2 on 30 or 40, and 3 on 50  ... something like that.  Cav go on 40, 50, and 60.

And when it comes to spear/pikes ... such units tend to move around the board with bases slightly spaced or pushed together, while when in Schiltron/Spear Wall the bases touch to signify a defensive stance.