home

Author Topic: Cannons=Crutch?  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Cannons=Crutch?
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »
As Warlord said, not in 6th, where an Engineer could only serve as an extra crewman. It would not have made a difference either, since the 6th edition HBVG hit automatically. The 7th AB changed that - not for the better, and I never took it in 7th.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »
I must be misremembering.   I never took the HBVG in 6th as my army was too poor to afford such experimental weapons.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2021, 08:21:14 AM »
...since the 6th edition HBVG hit automatically.

Huh? Had forgotten about this. I should build and paint my second piece. Oh, actually I seem to have a third volley gun sitting on my painting desk. :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2021, 08:38:52 AM »
Good for you!

It hit automatically, but the number of hits were halved at long range.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2021, 09:00:35 AM »
Good for you!

It hit automatically, but the number of hits were halved at long range.

Yeah. Actually just read the rules. I like them. Even at long range, given the units tended to smaller in the 6th ed, there is a good chance of causing a panic test in a targeted cavalry unit or other well-armoured smaller unit.

Probably the best rules for the HBVG. Not necessarily 'best' as in 'most efficient/competitive'. But balanced & simple & emphasize the experimental nature of the device. It also seems to be in a good balance spot regarding handgunners. One is not an obviously better choice compared to the other. Opinions on this? (How did the handgunners in general compare to the guns in the 6th ed? I remember they were felt less efficient in the 7th ed and fell into total shame in the 8th ed army book.)

It's maybe a pity an engineer cannot join the HBVG in the 6th. You sort of would expect the engineers to operate their experimental devices. The 'Leonardo' model is a classic engineer model! And the fancy 6th ed metal master gunner in the HBVG box has a nice aura too.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »
I think that the idea is that some things are so weird that the engineers are basically guessing and they want to be far enough away when everything blows up

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2021, 09:25:18 PM »
I cannot agree. Engineers tend to have some professional pride, and hence would want to proof their contraptions work. And as I pointed out, Engineers could function as an extra crew member for the HBVG - in which case they would blow up together with the war machine. Hence, they should have been able to provide their BS and re-roll too.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2021, 06:34:21 AM »
You don't need BS for 6th's HBVG

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2021, 07:10:40 AM »
You don't say...

As Warlord said, not in 6th, where an Engineer could only serve as an extra crewman. It would not have made a difference either, since the 6th edition HBVG hit automatically. The 7th AB changed that - not for the better, and I never took it in 7th.

My remark was a general observation, in reply to commandant.