home

Author Topic: Ancient Myths and Stories ...  (Read 2310 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Ancient Myths and Stories ...
« on: August 14, 2021, 01:33:33 AM »
Found  this to be interesting ... Bárđar Saga Snćfellsáss ... of a half giant/half troll who made his home in Iceland...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rehdppk8d0

And the territory, rock formations, human made stone walls, these would be neat to see in real life. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Ancient Myths and Stories ...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 12:52:08 PM »
On the subject of myth monsters. I like to think the Mothman is either Arthur from The Tick or the Mighty Monarch from Venture brothers

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »
I told my 3yo daughter the story of Little Red Riding Hood the other day. I may have made the Big Bad Wolf a bit too scary sounding. It was also dark since it was bed time so that may have added to the scare factor. It made me look up how many stories have The Big Bad Wolf in it (the only other one that came to me in memory was 3 little pigs) and apparently he is also in The Boy Who Cried Wolf (I just thought it was a regular wolf), The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids (which I am unfamiliar with) and Peter and the Wolf (also thought it was just a wolf not necessarily The Big Bad Wolf). There is also the French children's song "Promenons-nous dans les bois" ("Let's Stroll in the Woods") about kids walking/playing in the woods and avoiding the wolf (whom is slowly getting ready for the day throughout the song and comes after the children by the end of it). Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/e4fhqWofgDk and while trying to find the video I discovered the new Resident Evil game includes a scary sounding version of it too.

There is also the real story of the Beast of Gévaudan, about a string of wolf attacks in France shortly after the 7 years war by a very large wolf (some believe it may have been a hyena or wolf/dog hybrid). According to a 1987 study, between 1764 and 1767 this "Big Bad Wolf" attacked 610 times, resulting in 500 deaths and 49 injuries; 98 of the victims killed were partly eaten. Other sources claim the animal (or animals) killed between 60-100 adults and children and injured more than 30. The King of France himself got involved and deployed troops and hunters to track down and kill the beast. The beast was reported killed several times before the attacks finally stopped. Astonishing Legends does a really good job of going over this legend if you want an in depth analysis.

Aside from the Beast of Gévaudan, wolf attacks in Europe were a very real threat throughout history, which may be why there are so many folktale stories about them which coalesced into the villain "The Big Bad Wolf." Unfortunately I scared my 3yo with Little Red Riding Hood a few nights ago that she declined to listen to the Three Little Pigs last night.

Edit: Oh and how could I have forgotten the Norse "Big Bad Wolf" of Fenrir, Loki's son and a literal Big Bad Wolf that bit off Tyr's hand and would help bring around Ragnarok.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 02:17:50 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
Not mythical in any way but wasn't there a story a few years ago of a town in Russia(?) that was essentially held captive by a large pack of wolves? From what I remember reading it was a tiny place with only a handful of residents, the wolves were going hungry and basically rocked up in the middle of this place so nobody was safe to leave their homes for a few days...

I do sometimes find it a real shame that where I live (UK) we are lacking basically all the alpha predators that we used to have in previous times :unsure:

Though having said that we do have Nessie and a number of 'The beasts of...' on various moors and things, Exmoor, Bodmin etc.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 04:03:43 PM »
I do sometimes find it a real shame that where I live (UK) we are lacking basically all the alpha predators that we used to have in previous times :unsure:

Though having said that we do have Nessie and a number of 'The beasts of...' on various moors and things, Exmoor, Bodmin etc.
Don't forget about the ABCs (Alien Big Cats). There are quite a number of sightings of them in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of a Zoo that went under and they just freed them.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 04:39:28 PM »
Don't forget about the ABCs (Alien Big Cats). There are quite a number of sightings of them in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of a Zoo that went under and they just freed them.

That's what a lot of people reckon 'The beasts of...' are to be honest, big cats that have escaped or been freed into the wilds from zoos or people who had them as illegal pets. You tend to just get reports of sheep being torn to bits and get 'sightings' every now and again, some are pretty convincing I have to admit especially in more recent times because people have high quality cameras on their phones, no more grainy blurs in the distance! :laugh:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 12:14:22 PM »
I remember seeing a documentary series on the origin of the famous monsters.
The werewolf [and quite possibly Big-bad wolf] myth originated from a German town in the middle ages. A psychotic woodsman attacked his own family one day

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 02:15:49 PM »
That cannot be right: werewolves were already known in Antiquity.

In Greek mythology, Lycaon, a king of Arcadia was turned into a wolf, as punishment by Jove... euh Zeus, for serving him the roasted flesh of Lycaon's own son Nyctimus.

In history, Herodotus writes (Histories Book IV 105):
The Neuri follow Scythian customs; but one generation before the advent of Darius’ army, they happened to be driven from their country by snakes; for their land produced great numbers of these, and still more came down on them out of the desolation on the north, until at last the Neuri were so afflicted that they left their own country… It may be that these people are wizards; for the Scythians, and the Greeks settled in Scythia, say that once a year every one of the Neuri becomes a wolf for a few days and changes back again to his former shape. Those who tell this tale do not convince me; but they tell it nonetheless, and swear to its truth.

It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 02:33:22 PM »
Perhaps turning into a wolf was wearing a costume of a wolf head and fur.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 03:27:40 AM »
I know we get the term "lunatic" from the latin word for moon "luna," because it was believed that on a full moon some people would go crazy. I remember this in Latin class back in high school, and I think one of the characters in the text book witnesses a werewolf (lupinotuum) transformation.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 01:05:33 PM »
Oh well. I guess not everything on TV is true

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 04:22:48 PM »
I used to read this short lived web comic called "Stick Gods" which was about stick figure versions of Ancient Egyptian gods. I posted this gif of them dancing peanuts style on another forum and it just occurred to me that of the 11 gods present in the gif, 9 of them are showing up in some capacity in the novel I am writing.

https://inonibird.tumblr.com/stick-gods

For the uninitiated:

Ra (Sun god) is on the cello
Thoth (God of wisdom and writing) is on the piano
Set (God of the desert, foreigners, and chaos) is on the guitar.

The dancing ones are Hathor (fertility goddess with a cows head), Wepwawet (finder of ways, a Jackal), Mafdet (cat goddess of justice), Osiris (zombie god of the dead), Horus (falcon headed sky god and patron god of Pharaohs), Bastet (cat goddess of protection, usually home protection), Anubis (jackal god of the dead and embalming), and Sekhmet (lioness goddess of war and slaughter and sometimes the dual aspect of either Hathor or Bastet).
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 06:11:06 PM »
Looks like quite the halloween crew there. :icon_wink:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 08:19:25 PM »
On the subject of ancient Egypt. I've nearly finished a Thousand sons rhino.
I stuck some Tomb kings bits on it and am sticking some AOS ghosts on the inside

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 02:34:48 PM »
I stuck some Tomb kings bits on it and am sticking some AOS ghosts on the inside

I'd love to see it! Sounds awesome!
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 04:59:18 PM »
Thoth was always a favorite. Thats a nice little gif!

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 04:09:15 AM »
Thoth was always a favorite. Thats a nice little gif!

― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2021, 04:05:21 AM »

I'd love to see it! Sounds awesome!
I always work the theme into my 40k rhinos
The Khorne rhino is caked in blood, the nurgle rhino is full of slime, Thousands sons has ghosts in it....aaaand the Slaanesh rhino......a pair of demontettes who are really enjoying each others company

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2021, 03:55:20 PM »
Overly Sarcastic Productions does wondersul myth legend and folktale videos.  One that really caught my eye was about the Wild Hunt. My wife and I loved it so much that when the winds get loud and bad around here in Massachusetts we often refer to it as the Wild Hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZIl8RZvv6I

Whats interesting is her Macedonian roots have a similar such phenomenon they call Promia which is a malevolent spirit that attacks people who do not cover their backs when they are sleeping and/or leave their windows open on cold/windy nights. Anywho, this is a fun and interesting watch. They just released a video on werewolves but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 11:37:27 AM »
Several years ago, I had an overly academic friend. He and I once had a joke about Anubis living in a kennel which was opulent and overly decorated

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 04:34:28 PM »
Anubis wouldn't be in the kennel though, his pet Ammut on the other hand... (inset "a mutt" joke here)

― Jake the Dog

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 05:20:27 PM »
Forgive them, they are newbies in such matters...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2021, 08:18:52 PM »
Forgive them, they are newbies in such matters...

― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 11:05:58 AM »
On the subject. My cats knocked over my Tomb kings today. No major damage except to the Ushabti. The not-Anubis guy needs repairs

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2021, 11:18:35 PM »
Well cats are honoured by the gods