home

Author Topic: 2500pts of Unbreakable Battalion Style Goodness!  (Read 2369 times)

Offline K2

2500pts of Unbreakable Battalion Style Goodness!
« on: January 17, 2005, 07:53:34 AM »
For the past two years I have been playing a Dwarf hoarde army with great success. The main theme of my army was a solid infantry line with Ironbreakers and about 72 GW wielding warriors :shock:. I decided to start Empire when I repeatedly got the shaft at RTTs with Gain Ground missions. So now that I have some calvery, I decided to keep the good times rolling with a solid TVI'ish infantry hoarde. I tried this, and was absolutely stomped. Granted my defeat could most definatley be attributed to my newbishness. I decided to revise my list, except this time trying minimize the whole break test thing (kinda like my dwarfs).
   So here it is, I really appreciate your advice and comments.

Heroes:
Elector Count  GW Barded Warhorse Full Plate
Holy Relicand the Rod of Command                                       212pts
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Captain BSB Barded Warhorse
Banner of Sigismund                                                            159pts
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Captain number 2 GW Barded Warhorse Full Plate                  76pts
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - -
Battle Wizard
2x Dispell Scrolls                                                                 145pts
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Total points in Heroes = 492pts_______________________________

Core Troops:
33x Swordsmen W/Full Command
Griffon Standard
detachment (1) 10 Halbediers
detachment (2) 9 Free Company
(Captain number 2 fights in this unit)                                      426pts
28x Swordsmen W/Full Command
detachment (2) 5 Archers                                                      
( Elector Count fights in this unit)                                           311pts
33x Spearmen W/Full Command
detachment (1) 10 Free Company
detachment (2) 5 Archers
( BSB fights in this unit)                                                        321pts
3 units of vanilla Knights                                                       345pts
5 Huntsmen                                                                         50pts  
Total points in core troops = 1453pts___________________________

Special units:
5x Pistoliers W/Marksman armed with repeater pistol              112pts
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - -  
2x Great Cannons                                                                200pts
Total points in Special units = 312pts___________________________

Rare units:
2x Helblaster                                                                        250pts
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Army Total 2500pts

Another goal of this list was to show my dubious gamer friends that Empire can win without Handgunners :x.
The Bums Will Always Lose!

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 09:04:47 AM »
I'm afraid you'll want to look at your points values again. Looks like you missed 100pts in your Character suite, which puts you 106 points over 2500. I kinda thought that list looked too good to be true ;)
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 10:36:02 AM »
I must say I like the format of this list..
Easy to read.. Well done! :P
Im a Drama Setter gripping my beretta sipping armeretta man you crazy if u think im gon let up

Offline K2

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 01:48:33 PM »
Doh!
I thought I was over on points. take out one of the extra vanilla Knight units, and bump up the Swordsmen's detachment of Free company back up to 10.
  I figure I will give the Mage Lore of Heavans for the rerolls on psyc and break tests. As far as dispell dice goes, I think 8 times out of 10 I will be fighting opponents with a manageable magic phase. In my exerience if your going against a slann, or magic heavy army your just going to die anyways so why waste the points ( I miss my four dispell dice with the dwarfs :cry: ). Still at 2500pts I am a little concerned about my 3 dispell dice, do you guys think I have enough dispell?

Offline K2

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 01:55:37 PM »
Here it is back in shipshape

Heroes:
Elector Count GW Barded Warhorse Full Plate
Holy Relicand the Rod of Command 212pts
Captain BSB Barded Warhorse
Banner of Sigismund 159pts
Captain number 2 GW Barded Warhorse Full Plate 76pts
Battle Wizard
2x Dispell Scrolls 145pts
Total points in Heroes = 592pts_______________________________

Core Troops:
33x Swordsmen W/Full Command
Griffon Standard
detachment (2) 10 Free Company
(Captain number 2 fights in this unit) 426pts
28x Swordsmen W/Full Command
detachment (2) 5 Archers
( Elector Count fights in this unit) 311pts
33x Spearmen W/Full Command
detachment (1) 10 Free Company
detachment (2) 5 Archers
( BSB fights in this unit) 321pts
2 units of vanilla Knights 230pts
5 Huntsmen 50pts
Total points in core troops = 1453pts___________________________

Special units:
5x Pistoliers W/Marksman armed with repeater pistol 112pts
2x Great Cannons 200pts
Total points in Special units = 312pts___________________________

Rare units:
2x Helblaster 250pts
Army Total 2496pts

( Thanks for pointing that out General

Offline Clarkarias

• Sarnia, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 03:56:34 PM »
Unbreakable list with no Greatswords and no Flaggies??
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline cisse

• let the wookie win!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 04:26:55 PM »
Unbreakable list with no Greatswords and no Flaggies??

Indeed...

I'd drop the L2 on the mage, drop some swordsmen and spearmen (units of 28 total, so 27 + character are the biggest I ever go...) and get a unit of flagellants. While your infantry regiments have to stay close to the general and BSB for leadership and rerolls, flaggies give you a unit that can hold a flank against virtually everything (if it's not too fast... :wink: ) with total certainty. Unbreakable? Yep.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline K2

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 06:52:33 PM »
I have been thinking about picking up some Flagellants, but there are some reasons why Im not so motivated about them:

(1) 1 Flagellant cost the same amount of points as a Trollslayer, and my beloved trollslayers would those flaggies any day of the week.

(2) I am not so crazy about the models.

(3) I dont have the 50 bucks  :roll:

(4) I love the look of dread on my opponents face, when he sees two Helblasters :-D .

That being said I could proberly see my way to field a unit of 12 flagellants. and hey anything that bumps the model count up is ok by me.

as far as greatswords go, I am all for it, but I dont want to sink too many points in my special choices.

Do you think Brets have a chance against this list?

Offline cisse

• let the wookie win!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 07:27:12 PM »
Well, I'm probably not the best to answer that question (only played one game against the new Bret's so far), but there's two things I'd change against Bretonnians:

-put the mounted captain on a pegasus, to counter his pegasus knights and to be generally annoying (to your opponent, not to you!). Also, I'd make one unit of knights IC and give them the war banner, to make them a convincing counter-charge unit. Draw in two lances against your unit with the rod of command, hold them in place for a turn and get some of your own knights in those long flanks!

-drop the archers for handgunners (and take some handgunners instead of the free company detachment of the first regiment). While the skirmishing archers are great missile screens, they won't kill many knights, and handgunners can be sacrificed to draw lances away by angling them in the right way (archers, being skirmishers, can't do this).

I hope I made my point clear, I'm in my examinations period now and haven't had a lot of sleep lately... :wink:
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...