home

Author Topic: My Army - Completed today! List + Story of existance inside  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Hal

• Members
  • I am Hal, of Karak Kaldor
My Army - Completed today! List + Story of existance inside
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:27:09 AM »
Today is a glorious day in the history of my army, for, just now, i have finished re-painting my Spearmen. Therefore, I shall regale you all with the story of my army, I shall post a final list for your assessment, and there may be milk and cookies (and beer - the finest Bugman's XXXXXX) at the end!

Also, I am posting this by way of the fact i haven't made a long post for ages, and feel i am due to post one
 :lol:

Ah yes, my army, the loyal defenders of Hyldorf, at the foot of the southern mountains, and staunch allies of Karak Kaldor. Well, let's see...where to start...

...at the start, I suppose. Now, I won't engage you with the tale of my involvement with the hobby. Let's say a friend talked me into it. I had not encountered model combat before, and loved the idea of a fantasy wargame. This was my first foray into warhammer.

I went to townsville, where we have a GW stockist with models on the shelves. This is good, as where I live (the town of Atherton, hrs drive north of T'ville ) all we have is one measly store that has to order models up, and incurrs a two-week wait. I purchased an armybook in September, at the Townsville Stockist, Games Exchange

After a few weeks, I decided to spenmd my hard-earnt money on a box of free company. Why? I don't honestly know. The idea of Militia rabble appealed to me, and my friend (now an orc player) said that FC were "cool". So I bought  of em, and a few Tamiya (*shudder... why, god, why?) paints. of course, they were (and still are) crappily painted; but never fear, for they were appropriately cool looking, and at a distance, they looked good (On a foggy night, 6 feet away, with a light shining in your face and no glasses on :lol:).

I took them home, assembled them with poly cement, and painted them. Now, "painted" is a loose term, as I was using a 5/8" brush, on my FC. And Tamiya Paints. Ugh. So, at the end of the day i have a fifty dollar worth, crappily painted militia unit sitting on my table. And, being flat broke (I'm 12) after buying the militia, I wait a while. unit....

Christmas. I usually get an influx of money (~$70 AUS) which, plus money earnt, was enough to buy a Warhammer Boxed Set (year 2000). Which I duly did, driving down to the stockist, placing an order, and handing over my money.

Guess what? Worst luck, it took three weeks to get in. Still, never fear. I took the model from their sprues, glued them together (without filing off flash, etc etc) badly, and then, sat down and painted them. With a !New! brush. This one only one-third the width of my finger.  ( :-D  :lol:  )

I painted my Cannon, General, 18 (count em, 18!) Spearmen and 16 handgunners.  In two nights. Yep, they sucked. (I also constucted a mortar using a cavalry base and the Mortar Barrel. I was a cheapo.)

At this point I swapped to useing GW 4ml pots from the Battle games in middle Earth magazine. In other words, they were cast-offs.  :lol:

Now, at this point I was flat broke, once more.  

At this point I was playing a few games, using proxies for many. I decided I needed some knights. So, I went along and purchased some knights, after my birthday had rolled around. Indeed, it was already July. I painted them. THis time, using the BGiME brush, they were ok models. A bit plain, but not too bad. I also got a HBVG model, and painted it with gold, brown and a brown wash.

AT this point I bought some Wizard Models, from the T'Ville stockist, a greatsword command from my local Toyworld. The G'sword sergeant is to be used as my general on foot. And my friend bought me a master Engineer. I painted these character models, and recieved a few accolades from ym gaming fruop, for before this I was the worst painted in the group.

Now, just this christmas I recieved a Steam Tank model from ym parents, in recognition of the fact that my army was nigh-completed. Also as a Grade 9 graduation present. (yes, i got put up two grades at school, hence me being 12).

I have painted the Stank, and it is now widely heralded as an example of me no longer being the worst painter in the area.

And just now, I have re-painted my spearmen, Knights and Handgunners, so that they looked respectable on the battlefield. If I had a Digital Camera, I'd post pictures. But I don't have one, so I will save the pleausre of visting that dubious honour upon you all  for another day .

Now, my army list, uploaded from Army Builder, edited by me for readability.

Elector Count @ 189 Pts
General; Great Weapon; Shield
Holy Relic
Armour of Meteoric Iron
Van Horstman's Speculum
-Set up with Spearmen

Warrior-Priest of Sigmar @ 169 Pts
Barding; Prayers of Sigmar; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield;
Warhorse
Helm of the Skaven Slayer
Icon of Magnus
-With 8 Knights

Battle Wizard @ 159 Pts
Barding; Magic Level 2; Lore of Fire; Warhorse
Dispel Scroll*2 - possibly swapped out as Power Stones Vs low magic armies, e.g Dwarves

Battle Wizard @ 145 Pts
Magic Level 2; Lore of Fire
Dispel Scroll *2

18 Spearmen @ 286 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Sergeant
Banner of Griffon

9 Free company
5 Handgunners

13 Handgunners @ 129 Pts
Empire Handgun; Musician; marksman w/Repeater Handgun

8 Knightly Orders @ 273 Pts
Inner Circle; Barding; Lance; Full Plate Armor; Shield; Standard;
Musician; First Knight; War Banner;

5 Huntsmen @ 50 Pts

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

1 Mortar @ 75 Pts

1 Hellblaster @ 125 Pts

1 Steam Tank @ 300 Pts
     Steam Gun; Main Cannon ("Conqueror")

Casting Pool: 6

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 75

Total Army Cost: 2000

Feel free to pick apart. But firstly; I have lost 5 games of approx 60, 4 Vs Chaos, 1 Vs Lizardmen. 8 knights +WP has been VERY successful. 18 Spers never get into combat, their main use is psychological. They sit there looking pretty, not fighting (Perish the thought, sah!  :lol: )

~Hal|Well, there ye go. An essay, for your obervation and comment.
I have good ideas, not functional or balanced rules. When I post a revision idea, comment on the ideas, not the rules.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 12:05:07 PM »
Excellent story, Hal - and a nice enough army list ;) I'd look into expanding that Spearmen unit a bit to a combat-effective 20-25, and see how it fairs in actual combat. You may be pleasantly surprised! It's a bit of a shame to spend 50 points on the formidable Griffon Standard and not bring it into combat.

As a side note, I never would have figured you for such a youngster. You're an example to many here. My hat goes off to you, sir!

--GH
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Lord Etharion

• Members
  • RIP Rufas
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »
Quote from: General Helstrom

As a side note, I never would have figured you for such a youngster. You're an example to many here. My hat goes off to you, sir!

I had figured that (what with you mentioning it quite often), but still, you do an excellent job, unlike those who use their age as an excuse. Mine is off too.
Quote from: Shadowlord
Moo-moo land here I come.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I only wish moo-moo land didn't have an internet connection.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 12:09:11 PM »
Woah, wait- you're Australian? And from the tablelands? Heh. One of my flatmates is from up there. What an amusing coincidence.

Anyway. I'm, uh, done.

EDIT:

I had figured that (what with you mentioning it quite often), but still, you do an excellent job, unlike those who use their age as an excuse. Mine is off too.

I'd like to echo that.
Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline Jester

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 04:41:40 PM »
i never think anyone is a youngster... unless behavior demonstrates it....;)

nice list, i'd be worried about the IC /cannon in the "middle" as that's hardly a fortress of solitude, and a large unit of bret knights, Choas chosen ect... behind your lines can be rough *shrugs* otherwise nice story.

Offline armlessfred

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 08:32:15 PM »
Well written hal you have skills way beyond your age, good of you to represent us youngsters so well(hell im only 15). Keep trucking away on your army and bulk it out alittle. You should post some pictures if you can put your hands on a digital camera.
*insert something funny here*
Like->if you haven't got the testicular fortitude to at least stand and fight, you're not worth listening to.

Offline King of Fighters

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 04:36:11 PM »
Very nice story!! I, like many others, would not have guessed you so young. As for the list. It looks good to me. I would suggest to beef up those spearmen to 20-25 and maybe think about getting some swordsmen. Alternatively, you could get another unit of Knights to give your oponent something else to worry about (but I would first add some numbers onto the spearmen.)