home

Author Topic: (OT, sorry if it's spam) 2000 point DoW list - Empire style  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Melvin the Melvin

• Purge the heretic, the gunline, the cheese-hero.
(OT, sorry if it's spam) 2000 point DoW list - Empire style
« on: January 18, 2005, 09:59:39 PM »
I've decided to try and make myself a DoW army. Since they have no unique magic items and don't excel at anything in particular, I don't expect to win a single battle - but I love the DoW theme and the diversity of units available. Now, the reason I'm posting this here is that I've decided to use an Empire-esque army, with mutually supporting units, large infantry blocks augmented by smaller mobile units, harrassment units, and overall something very akin to a balanced Empire list - so I don't think anybody apart from you guys could help me here.

Heroes

Mercenary General
   Lance
   Heavy Armour
   Enchanted Shield
   Barded Warhorse

Paymaster
   Great Weapon
   Heavy Armour, Shield
   Talisman of Protection

Merc. Captain
   Great Weapon
   Heavy Armour, Shield
   Pegasus

Level 2 Hireling Wizard
   2 Dispel Scrolls

Infantry

10 Crossbowmen

10 Crossbowmen

20 Pikemen
   Command Group

19 Paymaster's Bodyguard
   Command Group

Mobile support

5 Heavy Cavalry
   Barding
   Musician

5 Heavy Cavalry
   Barding
   Musician

5 Light Cavalry
   Shield
   Musician

Heavy Assault

9 Heavy Cavalry
   Barding
   Command Group

3 Ogres
   Great Weapon
   Light Armour
   Champion

Warmachines

Cannon

Halfling Hot Pot

Reserves

8 Duellists
   Pistols
Musician, Champion

Now, the basic plan is as follows: the powerful defensive infantry, the DoW army's only unique asset, holds down some part of the battle line, be it the center or a flank, supported by the small heavy cavalry units and probably screened by the crossbowmen, who lunge forward suicidally as soon as an enemy approaches to avoid panic tests. The vanilla Captasus and the light cavalry mill around the enemy rear and flanks to marchblock, divert, attack the gunline and generally act as harrassment units. The ogres and large heavy cav unit act in concert as hammer units to collapse a part of the enemy army, preferably in a combined charge. The duellists will most likely remain behind the war machines, they have enough mobility for that and the punch they provide with the pistols should be enough to send most enemy gunline hunters reeling.

That being said, with absolutely no tricks up my sleeve and an extremely straightforward army, I'll most likely get my ass kicked, but not without some fun. Any hints to turn the constant massacres into a major defeat once in a while?

(I apologise to the mods and the community if this is OT enough to be spam and I acknowledge your right to trash it, although I admit I'd be quite pleased if you didn't :wink: )
Quote from: Warlord
We fight, and we win through strategy and determination. We are civilised, cosmopolitan, and wear cod-pieces.

Offline Border Prince

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »
If you want to take advantage of defensive infantry, take pikemen in place of the Bodyguard. The bodyguard are not as bad as some people make out, but they are not that powerful defensively as their stubborn ability is dependent on the paymaster, who is rather vulnerable to almost anything. The paymaster definitely won't last  long if your opponent knows that killing him makes that nice expensive regiment easy to break.

Consider dropping one of the crossbow regiments. Partly as you don't seem entirely certain how to best use them, but also to use the points to bump up the size of your pike regiment(s) to a more respectable 25 or so. Other points savings are the shields on the light cavalry (generally unnecessary) and the second level on the wizard. That's four more pikemen at least.

I've been experimenting with DoW heavy cavalry without barding in an Empire army, teamed with DoW light cavalry, a Captasus and a regiment of pistoliers. A 3+ save is still pretty good, and the extra movement can be lovely, when combined with the hitting power of a normal knight regiment. You may want to try it. Although they're not fast cavalry, they are quite fast enough. The other option could be to replace the pegasus with the captain riding with a light cavalry regiment: not much less manouverable, and the points saved could get you an extra few light cavalry (especially if you dump the musician), maybe even an entire regiment without upgrades. Hardhitting fast cavalry can be horrible for an opponent to deal with, as long as you do not object to losing the entire regiment (but as the lot comes to about 130 points, don't worry too much). Even wolfriders can take on knight regiments with that technique if you move to get a flank charge.

DoW have an excellent support regiment available to them in the Norse Marauders. Give them great weapons in a small regiment, and set them back from the pikemen. Assuming the pikes hold, you can get flank charges with eight or more WS4 S5 attacks, and careful positioning should avoid the worst problems with frenzy.

Offline Melvin the Melvin

• Purge the heretic, the gunline, the cheese-hero.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 10:59:15 AM »
I did as you recommended, including replacing the pegasus, and I also gave the captain's light cav unit spears so they're quite hard-hitting for a fast cav unit, and hopefully an opponent will be too busy stopping the hammers to kill them. I took the barding off one unit of heavy cav so I can compare their performance during battle. I'll try proxying this army in a friendly battle sometime soon.
Quote from: Warlord
We fight, and we win through strategy and determination. We are civilised, cosmopolitan, and wear cod-pieces.

Offline Ronnie Soak

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 12:34:43 PM »
Why does nobody use pikemen anymore, one unit pah! I should start playing my DoW again. You want three huge units of 28 in the army. Crossbows for missiles, cannons to take out nasties, ogres to flank and there you go.

Sorry, i just love pikes

Offline Jester

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 09:46:13 AM »
it's a strong list that way, but most people play DOW for variety...which isn't the best str of it.. Ronnie has the idea, big pike units really are their main str.