home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 67142 times)

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #525 on: June 25, 2021, 11:16:05 AM »
Does anyone know what size bases Orcs used in 4th? Were they the 25mm ones as in 6th? or the smaller 20mm ones? I just saw a pic of Grom on foot and he is on a 20mm base but that didnt seem right.
25mm I'm pretty sure, my friend's orc army was on 25s back then

Grom is a goblin! That’s why he is on a 20mm base! I assumed by his size he was an Orc.

Makes more sense with the chariot having wolves.

I assumed with the Orc shaman on the Wyvern it was a goblin horde led by Orcs. Not the case.

I don't know his 5th rules, but in 6th he can't be used with orc characters as per this rule:

Goblin General
Grom would never follow anyone else, so if you take him he must be your general, regardless of the Leadership of any other characters. If you take Grom you must include at least one unit of common Goblins in your army. In addition, Grom would never tolerate the presence of anybody who might threaten his command. Therefore you may not include any Orc, Savage Orc or Black Orc Lord characters if Grom is your General.

Since a lot of the 5th rules carried over, i'd double check to see if he can be used with the wyvern rider

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #526 on: June 25, 2021, 12:29:18 PM »
Regarding lapping around:  models that are lapping around do not count any longer for determining the rank bonus of your own unit, nor will they negate the rank bonus of the enemy unit.

Ok this makes sense, thanks once again Fidelis.

So I finished reading the 4th ed rulebook and I have to admit I found everything but that bit easy to understand the first time around. Maybe its just the manner it was written, or the print, or what, but I felt it was easier to digest than the later editions I was reading.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #527 on: July 10, 2021, 10:10:57 PM »
Well, all the pieces for my 4th and 5th edition starters are coming together and I am too excited to keep it all to myself. First, the last thing I was waiting on finally arrived: the Orc War Wyvern.

I know I've been giving updates on this but its just great to see it all together. I do have the High Elf Bolt Repeater, its just loose in one of the boxes. So that being said, I have all the models to replace their card versions in the starter to play the Battle of Maugthrond Pass.

Also, as excited I am about working on the 4th starter set, I can't keep my eyes and hands off the 5th. I have to be honest, prior to getting this set, I really didn't care for or about these versions of the Bretonnians and Lizardmen. I have never, ever thought I would bother collecting them. I only own them because they came in the starter, but after reading the rulebook and battle book, I am really excited about having them. But I also realize that I am really lucky I bought the collection I did, considering it came with the Slaan Mage Priest, since at the time of getting the set, I had no idea that the Lizardmen army had to be led by one of those models. I assumed, like in 6th, I could use a Saurus or something. I just thought it would be cool to have the King of Bretonnia and Mage Priest to lead my little armies.

I think I mentioned this when I got the set, but the sale included 5 Knights in blister packs, a skink command group, and a mostly complete Kroxigor (missing the tail). At first I almost got rid of the Kroxigor since I only had one and assumed I needed more to make a unit, but not only did I learn I could use them individually, I was surprised to find I could use one in a unit of Skinks.

Then I discovered in the battle book, two sample army lists that I had most of the models for:

I mean, in this list there is a unit of Skinks with a command group, and another with just the Kroxigor... is that providence or what? I have no idea if this is what the original owner had in mind doing, but I am using these two lists to build my armies. I have the models for the general on horse, battle standard, and hero from the blisters packs. I also found two different Saurus command groups on ebay to fill out the Saurus units, and hunted down the Skink Cold One riders. Prob will get the command guys for the Bretonnian archers but have to be honest not a huge priority at the moment. Also going to use an extra Saurus body to give me a tail for the Kroxigor. I looked into just buying a whole one on eBay and they are kinda pricey.

Anyway, all this fulfills that desire to have a complete game in a box. I have to admit how amazed I am with the lizardmen. Even when I got the later Battalion set, I kinda got it for the hell of it since it was pretty cheap, only to be amazed at the designs when going through the sprues. I considered the early stuff silly, but now after reading through the rulebooks and army book, I really like the 5th ed Lizardmen too.

I don't know what the hell these two armies are doing in a starter set. I can't think of two armies that seem more out of place going against each other. But, its definitely different, and I am excited to build these armies.

And also, I enjoyed reading the 4th edition rulebook. Just how its written reminds me of other GW games I was into. But I REALLY like the 5th edition books. Both being full color. Really well done.

And it still amazes me, and I know I have said it before, how badly GW dropped the ball on the 8th starter set. I don't think they intended to kill the game when they released that set, but it doesn't surprise me that was the last edition of WFB. Models, excellent yes, but as a gateway into the hobby? I assumed they had an intern put it together.

Anyway, really appreciative of the guy who sold me the 5th stuff, as he did a lot of the leg work on starting my journey and I didn't even know it. It turns out I prob don't need the Bretonnian King but will hold on to it for awhile longer before deciding on what to do with it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:17:45 PM by KTG17 »

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #528 on: July 12, 2021, 12:27:42 PM »
Very nice. the old boxes from that era have a lot of nostalgia for me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #529 on: November 03, 2021, 04:21:12 PM »
So I said I was done buying for my 6th edition Battalions, but then this happened.

I was never really happy with my Vampire model for my Vampire Counts army, who was this guy:

Most of all because I didn't have a version on horseback, and as we know I like having both for all my generals.

Well then I found this guy, instantly fell in love with it.

But didn't know if they made a version on foot and it turns out they did some kind of limited release for it, and I was able to get one.

So I now have my proper Vampire general on mount and on foot, his Battle Standard, and then a necromancer who isn't in the photo but is that plastic version thats been around for awhile.

Really really happy about this one. I think the mounted version is going to look awesome leading some undead Black Knights on a charge.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #530 on: November 03, 2021, 06:53:27 PM »
Very nice, i love the new mannfred model. Going to stick to one bloodline then?

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #531 on: November 03, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
Well he’s just a vampire thrall hero to me lol. Not planning on getting into characters.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:01:59 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #532 on: November 03, 2021, 11:06:44 PM »
This is what I have for my Vampire Counts:

Thrall (as above)
Wight Standard Bearer
Necromancer

20 Skeletons
20 Zombies
10 Ghouls
10 Dire Wolves
2 Bases of Bats

5 Black Knights
10 Grave Guard

Black Coach
Banshee

Btw I recently discovered that 8th edition changed the way you could build your armies using the old school method of % for different kinds of units. I am actually thrilled about this as it seems a great way to try out small games. Not that I am rushing to try out 8th, but it gives me something to look forward to. Like Lords. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 12:34:02 AM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #533 on: November 04, 2021, 12:39:16 AM »
I like that vamp on a horse and just the foot figure.  Will keep my eyes out for one of them! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #534 on: November 04, 2021, 12:18:39 PM »
Btw I recently discovered that 8th edition changed the way you could build your armies using the old school method of % for different kinds of units. I am actually thrilled about this as it seems a great way to try out small games. Not that I am rushing to try out 8th, but it gives me something to look forward to. Like Lords. :)

Yeah, this could drastically change the number of Lords (and Heroes) in certain armies, and even in smaller games. IIRC, for example 8th ed O&G armies tended to have the number of Goblin heroes maxed out, because they are can be really killy or bring a lot of magic for cheap.

Then again weren't Vampire Lords quite expensive? So how many options does the percentile-based army composition system really open?

But unless you play in a tournament or with rule-lawyer type gamers, you can always agree to take cool figures and create interesting scenarios. IIRC, the White Dwarf has had several scenarios which intentionally threw away the point- and %- or slot-based army compositions. Like a group of Bretonnian heroes only fighting a horde of orcs or the like, or a group of giants bashing it out, or a train of Steam Tanks in a scenario, etc. etc.  :laugh:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #535 on: November 06, 2021, 03:50:51 AM »
But unless you play in a tournament or with rule-lawyer type gamers, you can always agree to take cool figures and create interesting scenarios. IIRC, the White Dwarf has had several scenarios which intentionally threw away the point- and %- or slot-based army compositions. Like a group of Bretonnian heroes only fighting a horde of orcs or the like, or a group of giants bashing it out, or a train of Steam Tanks in a scenario, etc. etc.  :laugh:

Yeah that's true. I just think until I really get going I am not all sure what units would hold their own against others.

So got an update I am really happy about.

First up is my new Army Standard for my 6th edition starter set army (a little more on this later):

I made him from left over bits trying to use as many of the 5th/6th era bits as possible. The actual flag is from the later sets but I wanted something else other than the weird flag from the Empire command sprue since I already was using those flags in a couple of my units. Nothing fancy but I am really happy with him.

So the crew running my 6th edition starter Empire army are:

I also set out to make an Orc Army standard, and actually hunted around on eBay until I decided to make one from bits. I had a left over Orc warrior I wasn't happy with (the one to the right), and decided to use him. I was unhappy with him because in order to try and make him look different I gave him an Ork helmet and face guard from the 40k Boyz set. It looked ok to me at first, but over time I grew to dislike it as it didn't fit with the same look and feel as my other Orcs.

I basically cut off one of his arms like you see in the middle figure, cleaned up the blade as it was connected to the other which I removed, and worked on the other arm to remove the other hand that was molded on the pole.

He actually came out nice enough to me that I am going to leave that helmet. In a mass of ranked troops he didn't fit  but on his own I think he looks the part. So my Orc command group includes:

Now some of you might be thinking, "Hey, I saw in some pages back you already had the later Empire General and the standard that came in that set", and you would be correct. Covid gave me a lot of time to think about how I want to spend time on my hobby, and I realized I was kind of disorganized and all over the place with interests. After getting the earlier WFB sets, and finding that I really liked them, I decided to fill in all the gaps I had in 40k as well, so I now have all the 40k and WFB game versions they released.

I posted a few pages ago about how I was focusing on starter sets, trying to capture the time period and feel in the games as they were when they were released (http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=53028.msg1077034#msg1077034), and it really has changed my life. So much so that I have sold off a lot of stuff this year. Well over $5,000 if you can believe it. Not all of that was WFB and 40k, but a lot of it was. A lot of bits stuff too. But I had all sorts of models, Battleforce sets, and so on, that I really didn't want anymore. The main reason why was if I focused on the world that was being created in each starter set, if I focused on the minis that came in those sets, maybe expanded on some here and there, I would usually have something to look forward to once I moved on to the next version (with the exception of 40k 7th). Now WFB is no longer getting new releases and I am not touching AOS, but I still have a great deal to still explore as I go back to the beginning and work my way forward. No necessarily to play, but enjoy the reading and hobby aspect of things. In some instances I did keep units to add to a specific starter, like Tyranids for 4th, or some Orc stuff I had I can add to 5th, but whatever I am keeping is more or less meant to enhance the armies in a starter set, not an army per say. And these aren't big armies either. I am talking just expanding a little on what comes in each starter.

So even though I did already have that kick ass Empire General and Standard Bearer, since he was a later edition, I wanted to mostly use the models that were available at the time for the Empire and Orc armies in the starter set. I have undone a lot of what I have poster earlier on here. I still have one 8th edition Empire Battalion set with some additional units, but I'll get to those in some years down the road (I did sell the other one I had for a staggering $300), and thats what my newer Empire General will lead. Anyway, since I am trying to capture the look and feel of each army in each box set for that time period, there is no way for example, that I would use 8th edition models in 4th edition, and vice-versa. They don't match the time period. I also want to use the painting and basing techniques for their time period as well, so yes, this probably means Goblin Green bases for 4th edition, then get into more realistic looking terrain as I move up in the starter sets. So I have cheesy and cool at the same time.

I know this seems crazy, but the cool thing about having all of these starters is not only can I go back and fill in the holes on what I missed (even with 40k), but the models and story evolves and it really feels exciting looking forward to making something out of each one of these sets.

Over the years I primarily kept using 40k 3rd edition since I could use the army lists in the rulebook and not have to hunt down codexes. I really wanted to build other models and have variety so I hunted down models that fit in those army lists, knowing I was missing out on newer units. Focusing on the starters means I get a taste of something new from each time period, like Primaris for example, without having to buy their codex. I can just use the rules included in the 8th and 9th sets. And since GW has given us a variety of bad guys to fight (Orks, Orks, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Orks, Crimson Slaughter, Crimson Slaughter, Death Guard, Necrons) it seems to be enough to get my feet wet without having to keep up with the rest of what is going on in each edition. And I am doing the same with the marines - Crimson Fists, Blood Angels, Black Templars, Ultramarines, Ultramarines, Dark Angels, Dark Angels, Ultramarines, and Ultramarines. I just grab the starter, some extra splash items like objective markers, cards, whatever, and immerse myself in that. Its really helped me get rid of a lot of clutter as everything usually fits in the starter when I am done.

Anyway, I know that was long, but this is about the most excited I have been about this hobby in years.

I only worked on these two standard bearers because I was cleaning out more stuff, and saw I had set these bits aside and decided to finish them off. I do intend to work on WFB 4th edition models, finish those armies, then move on to 5th. So I wont be painting any of these until I work my way to 6th. With 40k I am starting with Rogue Trader and working on my Imperial Space Marines and Space Orks, then moving up as well.

PS: I did sell off a ton of 40k stuff, but I aside from selling some WFB units here and there and that extra Empire Battalion, I have no interest in selling anything further. When I am done painting all of the models from the starter sets I will take on the Battalions. I am still blown away by those sets and are much more looking forward to any of those than I ever was for the Tau for example.

God I can't believe I ever bought Tau models.  :?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 04:00:15 AM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #536 on: November 06, 2021, 09:13:12 AM »
I've always enjoyed seeing your hobby develop.

Don't think it is crazy, but instead a great way to have fun. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #537 on: November 08, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
Definitely a cool approach to collecting them. Looking forward to seeing them painted

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #538 on: November 17, 2021, 03:07:59 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:45:27 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #539 on: December 12, 2021, 06:05:59 PM »
Okay big update today! I've finished assembling everything I have for 4th edition!

High Elves:

**I do have shields for whichever model uses one, but I have not attached them as I will do so after they are painted**

Here is the army list from the scenario.

One thing I want to point out on the archers: in all the GW pics of any archers from this period, they were always mounted 45 degrees on their bases, and I really hated that. When you mounted them in a straight slotbase, they couldnt be positioned in two ranks without off-setting the second rank, which GW did in a lot of their pictures. I was all set on making new regimental bases to make room for that, but then I gave mounting them on a normal base, and just off-setting them just enough to give them room to fit like any other model would and it worked. So I used regular bases for all of these guys as opposed to the slot bases that came in the set. Very, very glad I did this.

Now, one of the things that I am pretty specific about is being sure I have a foot version of any general mounted on a horse or monster and Eltharion is no exception. I know its a little odd looking but it will do it for me. While the model has his spear and bow molded on the model, there is no mention of them in the scenario book or even the 4th edition army book, just his magic sword. I admit he looks a little plain around the waist area so will prob add some pouch or dagger there or something. I really only intend on using him if something happens to Stormwing, or maybe if I want to play a smaller game and just use him on foot.

I posted some time ago about the really old school Silver Helms, but here are some of the other models I picked up. I thought someday I would love to use these High Elves or the Goblins in this set against the 5th edition starter Bretonnians or Lizardmen, and I have added character models to those, so I thought it would be cool, if not necessary, to have them for these guys. Not that I need them for the scenario, but if I ever wanted to mix things up I had these models to do it. So added a general on horse, mage, army standard, two command groups for the spearmen, and a hero on horse.

Goblins:

I've given Grom the same treatment as Eltharion. I originally intended to make some custom base where I could just unplug him from the hole in his chariot and plug him into a base, but I just decided to get another model.

I am actually doing the same for the Orc Shaman which I forgot about, but he isn't ready yet. I have the legs and feet for him, just havent gotten around to it yet. Its actually going to take a lot of work but I think it would be well worth it.

Also, I made the chariot base by cutting down the largest square base GW made for WFB, setting the width the length of three cavalry bases and long enough to match a standard chariot base. I just figured mounting the wolves on just the cavalry bases was a recipe for disaster.

Now, since I got the Silver Helms I needed something for the Goblins and used this and an excuse to hunt down a unit of Stone Trolls, prob my favorite WFB minis from this period. Never had any reason to buy them until now, and stoked I finally have them.

The chariot is actually an extra I bought for my 6th edition Orc/Goblin army. I bought two back when I was buying stuff like it was going out of style, and now don’t feel the need for two when I prob have more Orc/Goblin stuff for 6th than I do any other army, so I thought it would be fun to paint up one in the bright colors of 4th and then the darker, more realistic version for 6th.

I also picked up these Goblin command guys.

Little disappointed in the standards. I actually bought the old school banners for the elves and goblins - you know the sticker sheets that came in the blister packs? Well, their poles are too short for any kind of standard sheet, and I checked the army book and it seems they cut the poles, extended them, then added the banner. I am not planning on doing that. I like the standards as they are, but are disappointed I wont be using the stickers for them.

Also the scenario calls for an important piece of terrain called a Standing Stone. I had no idea what one of those were so did some looking and found a set of these someone was selling. I cut it down with a band saw because i felt it was too big, and are excited about having this.

Now the next thing I am going to show I am REALLY excited about. I have been holding on to this for years waiting for the right project to use it for and I have found it...

So yes, I am painting all the bases in goblin green, just like in the old days. I figure that I can do the more realistic bases in later editions, but for this one and 5th I want to capture the look and feel of the time period. I also intend on doing my 40k 2nd edition bases in this as well, so I really have to make this pot go far. I am going to start actually painting these armies soon and have promised to not work on any other games until these are done.

And finally, everything I have showed you fits in the starter set except the monsters, which is a really big plus for me. The monsters will go in a display case.

I can't emphasize enough how much fun this has been. I even gave some thought about making a 1000 point Empire army from this period, but decided this is enough. After this I will be working on the Bretonnian and Lizardmen armies from the 5th starter, so that will be 4 armies from this period and that's enough. Besides I have them coming in the 6th starter, and have a Battalion set after that.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:44:20 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #540 on: December 12, 2021, 10:39:15 PM »
Congrats! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:

And love the tip on the elf archers, thanks! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #541 on: January 26, 2022, 03:15:39 AM »
Ok quick update I have another exciting one coming hopefully tomorrow but maybe the day after. But in the meantime I just finished this.

So a long time ago I posted this guy:

The guy on the right was my first Runesmith who I made by combining a miner, a miner standard, and a warrior.

Well, I wasn't crazy about him as a Runesmith and decided to buy an actual Runesmith so I decided to turn him into my army Battle Standard:

But I was never really thrilled with him, so I decided to make a new bearer using some really old Dwarf parts. I think they might have been the first Dwarf warrior sprues, because I had the 8th edition Battalion set and these sprues didn't come in that. Anyway, I used the same banner above for this guy:

I gave some thought to buying an official Battle Standard, but this gave me a chance to use up some bits and I am much happier with it than I was before with the other.

So I am going through one of my 'purges', and have sold off a lot of stuff from a variety of interests. I decided to let go of the said 8th Dwarf Battalion set since I actually had 20 of the warriors that came with the Skull Pass set, and with all the other units, I just figured I had enough warriors. I really didn't need all that came in that set. I am probably going to sell a couple of Battalions, but honestly with buying the previous starters sets, I feel like I have enough from certain races that I don't need all those Battalions I bought. Def keeping some, but for example I don't think I need all the Skaven stuff I bought in addition to the Island of Blood set. So as usual I over bought, but having some things in hand really helped me decide which models I really wanted.

Anyway, hopefully have a 4th/5th edition update in a day or two.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:18:30 AM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #542 on: January 26, 2022, 04:16:20 PM »
Okay so here is the big news.

So after falling pretty hard for the 4th and 5th edition starters, I started to feel a little left out on the older Empire stuff. There are some things I have always liked, like the old Great Cannon. I was reluctant to even buy anything more for the Empire since I already have a lot, but it was bothering me that the only human army I have for 4th and 5th were Bretonnia and they aren't really don't reflect the kind of human army I really like. The one day I was flipping through the 5th edition Empire army book and found this:

So at 1000 points it matches right up with my other 4th and 5th armies. I did some investigating on how hard it would be to get these minis in good condition and it seems the old Halberdiers would give me some problems. I was able to find everything else (complete in their original packaging) pretty quickly, but it all hung on getting 2 boxes of 8 Halberdiers so I could be sure to have their shields and most importantly decals. I found 2 boxes on ebay and set things in motion, only to win one of the auctions and to not the other. I was pretty crushed. By this point I had started buying the other minis so I thought it might be a long time before I could find another box, but luckily the one box I won came with 16 decals instead of what I assumed would be 8, and so I was able to find loose Halberdiers and their shields separately.

So, I have the exact army in the army book minus a couple of champions I am not sure I'll ever get.

I have to admit, I am not as crazy about all of the empire uniforms, and I have never been a Knights Panther fan, but they are different from the direction I went with my 6th stuff so I think that's kind of exciting project-wise. I know most of these are more 4th edition models, and that during 5th edition GW released a lot of Empire units in plastic, but I really wanted the older models to go with my other older army designs.

Anyway, now this is def it. Not buying anymore Warhammer armies.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #543 on: January 27, 2022, 01:36:07 AM »
Ha! So it is said. :icon_wink:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #544 on: March 07, 2022, 03:26:32 AM »
I have a quick question about 4th/5th edition Empire armies. Were Empire armies back in the day made up of State Troops from different states? I know in later edition Empire armies were kind of painted to all be from the same place, but I thought I saw somewhere, maybe here, where the early Empire armies were made up of regiments from different states.

I guess you could argue you could still do that, but I want to paint up my army above as it would have more likely had appeared when it came out in the mid-1990s.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #545 on: March 07, 2022, 11:02:33 AM »
The 4th ed (1992) Empire book showed units from different provinces and knightly orders, and included the Engineers, Kislev and Halflings. Very colourful. (I couldn't find photos of Imperial Dwarfs or Ogres.) One army photo has two units in Talabecland yellow and red, that's the closest you get to a force from a single province.

On the other hand, the composition of the Empire army used to have more special units. The Reiksguard, for example, were the common heavy infantry unit, and they of course came from Altdorf. This is in contrast to the 6th ed Greatswords, who were provincial/electorial guard. Also, typical armies had at least one knightly order unit, which have their own colours.

Yet the 4th ed Empire book had very few photos of painted models, compared to the 6th ed and onwards. Also, the studio had just created the stricter army lists and a wholly new range of models, and the Empire was the first army book. Probably they hadn't had the time to paint full armies for any province at the time the army book photos were taken.

5th ed didn't see a new Empire armybook, but I recall that the White Dwarf started to show more and more uniform Empire armies towards the later 90's, especially when the 5th ed multipart plastic Empire Regiment/State Troops box arrived. Altdorf/Talabheim red and white started to emerge as the commonplace studio army colour combination in these times. Although Middenland blue was also present.

The 4th ed Empire army book had a colour plate of the provincial colours, as did the White Dwarfs where the new Empire armybook & models were presented. I guess people started to paint along those lines, and provincial armies became a thing quite soon.

-Z
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 11:06:18 AM by Zygmund »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2022, 02:15:02 PM »
Thanks Z, I guess I'll do different provinces since my 6th models will all be from the same. Should be fun. I know I wanted to paint my Halberds as Altdorf as they appear on their box, but I wasnt sure what to do with the handgunners and crossbow men.

I did notice the lack of pics for units in the army book, which is why I was struggling with this. BTW, I did notice that the army book was released for both 4th AND 5th, with publishing dates of 1993 and 1996, respectively. I have the pdf of the 5th, and watched a youtube review of 4th, and it seems the only difference is that 5th includes that army list I made my army from above. That is actually not in the 4th ed version, and the 5th edition Bretonnian and Lizardmen armybooks both have a 1000 example army. Aside from that the books appear to be the same, unless point values changed.

BTW I said I was done, but I did pick up the old metal handgunner champion with the pistol and the bald halberdier holding his helmet. Great figures. There is something so great about these older metal models. They have a great deal of character.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #547 on: March 07, 2022, 03:30:56 PM »
I have the pdf of the 5th, and watched a youtube review of 4th, and it seems the only difference is that 5th includes that army list I made my army from above. That is actually not in the 4th ed version, and the 5th edition Bretonnian and Lizardmen armybooks both have a 1000 example army. Aside from that the books appear to be the same, unless point values changed.

Yes, they did reprint the 4th ed book for the 5th ed, with that added army list. I recall no changes in point values, but can be wrong, of course. Only got the 4th ed print.

Love the early 90's full metal Perry sculpted Empire range! :::cheers:::

-Z

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #548 on: March 07, 2022, 04:17:14 PM »
I think Zygmund hit the nail on the head. When they made the 4th edition book they only had so many painted models in the studio. It's basically the same handful of statetroops in all the pictures. And if you want to be authentic to that period, just paint the weapon shafts bright red.  :roll:
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #549 on: March 24, 2022, 02:37:15 PM »
Well, this is prob my last update on this thread. I hope from here on out it will be in the Brush and Pallet and Battle Reports section.

As many of you are aware, I bought too much. I really got Warhammer Fantasy fever and I bought a crap load with big plans. Thankfully I got 90% of it pre-covid so I didn't pay the obscene prices many things are going for today. But I had always felt that once I got all I wanted, I could take my time building and painting and enjoy the hobby at my own pace.

Well, then I got the 40k fever too and filled in all the starter sets I didn't already have, and some other stuff (what else was there to do during Covid?). I really worked up a pretty ambitious pile of shame. I don't have any regrets on any of the starter sets I have bought for either system, but I do kind of on all the additional battalion battle force sets in addition to whatever else I might have got. Its amazing what you get suckered into buying. What the hell was I thinking. I was just excited I guess.

Anyway, I move at a snails pace if that isn't obvious already and have so many interests its near impossible to focus on any one thing for long. I decided to stop everything I was doing and start at the beginning of time and work my way to the present, meaning that I would start with my Rogue Trader/2nd edition 40k stuff, and work my way to Indomitus, and start with 4th WFB and work my way to 9th. I thought this would be a fun way to revisit the hobby over the years.

So in doing so I re-organized my hobby closet and took everything out and only put back the games from the earliest time period for both 40k and WFB, and the other games that were out at the time. The rest went into a closet in another room out of sight (ironically this is the room where I put things to sell on ebay - essentially to see if I can live without it, and if so, it goes on sale).

What is crazy is that while this is much less than what I had in there before, its still a ton of stuff to work on.

One of the things I am realizing is that all that filler was getting in the way of stuff I really wanted to work on, and worse, some of the stuff I have is so important to me that I am afraid to even doing anything with it. Take Man O' War for example. I have been a huge fan of that game since it was released, even though I wasn't much of a WFB fan. So over the years I have patiently tracked down everything released for the game in order to build 1000 point fleets for each race. When I finally got the last thing, it really was a big deal. I've been at it for 20 years. I absolutely still love the game. But now with all the models, and the brittle sails and masts, I am hesitant to work on it for fear I screw something irreplaceable up. And it is like that with several games/models that I have: I dont work on my favorite stuff and spend too much time on the expendable stuff.

So I decided to focus on what I think is the golden age of GW by limiting myself to what you see in the pic. Just get the other stuff out of sight, so all I see is the important stuff. I do like what I see from 6th WFB and Mordheim, and while I do intend to finish off my starter armies and gangs, I am not sure I will ever get around to all the stuff after that, let alone all those Battalion sets. I am already thinking of selling some of them. I've already sold many of my old 40k battleforce sets, and I never thought I could do that. But I am actually far more excited to work on my 4th and 5th WFB armies than I am my 6th, or after, ones. Never thought I would feel that way.

I really hate piles of shame. I have watched some youtube vids of others people's piles and are thankful I am nowhere near as bad as some, but what I think it does (besides waste money) is distract you from focusing on what you think is really important. So there might be something I would or should be working on, but I am distracted by something else I am less passionate about, and then nothing gets done. Less is better than more, I see that now.

There are a few other games I am still painting up for that aren't in the pic, like the original Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine games. Those are from this period as well. I keep falling back on these earlier games. There is something about that golden era character that I am drawn to.

So anyway, many thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread. Its been quite the experience.