home

Author Topic: What ever happened to Bogenhafen?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
What ever happened to Bogenhafen?
« on: January 15, 2021, 06:43:55 PM »
Bit of a weird question granted.

I've been doing some digging through my old source books to reference colour schemes etc. and just happened to notice that Bogenhafen seems to disappear in later editions...

Bogenhafen seems to be a pretty prominent place early doors, it gets its own entry in the beginning of the 6th ed army book just like the other states and cities of importance, same goes for the 2004 2nd ed Empire Collector's Guide. It seems to have a pretty well defined geography and detailed description on the fandom wiki page also, which references Warhammer Fantasy RPG heavily over a number of editions.

Admittedly I don't have the RPG or the 7th ed army book so can't comment there, but then by the time I get to the 8th ed army book and the 'Uniforms and Heraldry of The Empire' book it seems to have dropped off the map (eclipsed by Reikland in the 8th ed army book but does get shown in the U&H) and it doesn't get a mention anywhere. Considering it's a notable location it doesn't even get a single reference in U&H, yet things like the Stir River Patrol, Death's Heads and dead provinces such as Solland and Sylvania all get reference illustrations.

It just seems a bit odd to me considering it was seemingly a pretty significant place early on and even more so considering that the latest 'human nobility' team released for Blood Bowl is the Bogenhafen Barons?

Anyone know what ever happened to the place and why is has been glossed over in later editions?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: What ever happened to Bogenhafen?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
Uniform colors, if I recall ... purple and white.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:26:09 PM »
Uniform colors, if I recall ... purple and white.

Correct - similar to Ostermark.

I just found it weird that the place just seems to disappear from any of the sources.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:27:30 PM »
Ostermark is purple and yellow. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »
Ostermark is purple and yellow. :icon_wink:

Or white according to Uniforms & Heraldry, both are permissable though I do agree with you that I always lean towards Ostermark being purple and yellow.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 09:00:24 PM »
Good point.  4 of 14 pictured wearing purple and white (one of which has yellow on shield.  9 of 14 have purple and yellow, 1 has purple and white with yellow 1 0f 14 even has purple and white with yellow minor details  1 had purple, red, and white.  Some folks classify the purple as a maroon.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 09:18:26 PM »
Bogenhafen is still about though I think it was largely included by the 6th edition due to how well regarded Shadows over Bogenhafen had been as a WHFRP supplement. The Empire has numerous towns but few, save the main city states, have ever really had their liveries represented. WHFRP gives a few more of the Reiklands large towns but the FB end never did much. Uniforms and Heraldry is honestly a rather sad book for interesting color or regional flavor, most of the heraldic devises are just copy and pasted with different color schemes across a great number of the provinces.

On the Ostermark note, it skews maroon over purple since the cost and availability of purple dies are not the greatest in the eastern Empire. 
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 10:09:25 PM »
Bogenhafen is still about though I think it was largely included by the 6th edition due to how well regarded Shadows over Bogenhafen had been as a WHFRP supplement. The Empire has numerous towns but few, save the main city states, have ever really had their liveries represented. WHFRP gives a few more of the Reiklands large towns but the FB end never did much. Uniforms and Heraldry is honestly a rather sad book for interesting color or regional flavor, most of the heraldic devises are just copy and pasted with different color schemes across a great number of the provinces.

On the Ostermark note, it skews maroon over purple since the cost and availability of purple dies are not the greatest in the eastern Empire.

That probably explains it then, if it got a lot of focus in WHFRP I guess it was 'in vogue' around that era, then over time it's just faded away out of the spotlight. I suppose when these places are chosen as specific settings they get some fluff to make them significant and pad out the locale, it just then ends up making them seem far more important maybe than other, equally sized, named towns around the Empire that just never got attention in the same way?

I agree regarding the Uniforms and Heraldry book, I was fairly disappointed seeing the same blokes colour blocked differently across the pages if I'm honest.  It could have done a lot more but hey ho, it serves a purpose as a bit of a reference. I take more inspiration from the combinations of patterns and stuff that I maybe wouldn't immediately think of, my brain is very much block colours so any influx of stripes and checks or colours in unusual places just gets the juices flowing.

Also Ostermark - my default is usually to envisage a deep maroon with a faded almost pastille yellow, somewhere in between the two as a happy medium  :closed-eyes:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:20 PM »
I was satisfied with the Uniform and Heraldry books,  These are the kinds of things that could always be better, yet better than not at all, although just my perspective. :icon_cool:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 12:49:47 AM »
I was satisfied with the Uniform and Heraldry books,  These are the kinds of things that could always be better, yet better than not at all, although just my perspective. :icon_cool:

Is uninspired better than nothing at all though? Even the art style of the special unit plates left me flat, then I am more enamored with a more traditional style like the Mark of Chaos concept art work:

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 08:55:34 PM »
Didn’t it turn up in blood bowl just a few months back? Iirc the studio scheme for the new imperial nobility team is from Bogenhafen.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »
What an interesting question.

I forgot about Bogenhafen.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 09:56:54 PM »
I am liking the concept art, and looks like Stirland in their green and yellow.

Offline WarhammerWodner

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 03:16:38 PM »
Didn’t it turn up in blood bowl just a few months back? Iirc the studio scheme for the new imperial nobility team is from Bogenhafen.

I think I saw it there, too.
If I remember correctly, can't say 100% sure.

Cheers,
Wodner

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 10:48:35 AM »

It did yes but that was partly what led to me asking the question - in terms of being a recognised and somewhat important place within the Empire, important enough to get mentions in early editions of the army book and even its own colour scheme which not a lot of places have other than the states and city states, in later years it just seemed to have disappeared.

I feel like the Blood Bowl inclusion recently is almost a blast from the past.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 11:15:52 AM »
I feel Bogenhafen was given as an example of what you could do to create a local painting scheme and background for your own army.

In some way, the 8th ed rulebook presents that Ostland city as a similar, better developed location in the setting. (Sorry, forget the name of the city.)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 05:15:49 PM »
Volganof?!?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »
...by the time I get to the 8th ed army book and the 'Uniforms and Heraldry of The Empire' book it seems to have dropped off the map (eclipsed by Reikland in the 8th ed army book but does get shown in the U&H) and it doesn't get a mention anywhere. Considering it's a notable location it doesn't even get a single reference in U&H, yet things like the Stir River Patrol, Death's Heads and dead provinces such as Solland and Sylvania all get reference illustrations...

A-HA! I stand corrected!

I have just noticed that Bogenhafen does actually get at least one reference in the 8th ed army book! Page 74 shows a painted example of one singular 'Bogenhafen Crossbowman', that is all.

For those that are interested in the particular hues involved he is wearing a (slightly dirty) white and very fuchsia pinky purple halved uniform.  :biggriin:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 06:19:38 PM »
...by the time I get to the 8th ed army book and the 'Uniforms and Heraldry of The Empire' book it seems to have dropped off the map (eclipsed by Reikland in the 8th ed army book but does get shown in the U&H) and it doesn't get a mention anywhere. Considering it's a notable location it doesn't even get a single reference in U&H, yet things like the Stir River Patrol, Death's Heads and dead provinces such as Solland and Sylvania all get reference illustrations...

A-HA! I stand corrected!

I have just noticed that Bogenhafen does actually get at least one reference in the 8th ed army book! Page 74 shows a painted example of one singular 'Bogenhafen Crossbowman', that is all.

For those that are interested in the particular hues involved he is wearing a (slightly dirty) white and very fuchsia pinky purple halved uniform.  :biggriin:

Having a quick scan of the 'Colours of The Empire' section here, Wissenland, Reikland, Middenland and Nuln actually all only seem to have 1 painted example too! (directly referenced in the caption that is). But at least all these places get their own sections in Uniforms & Heraldry, which Bogenhafen does not.

Bad news for all you Ostermarkers, that doesn't get anything at all... :icon_eek:

Stirlanders rule the roost on a mighty 5 examples!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 02:47:52 AM »
Volganof?!?

I think that was the reference.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.