home

Author Topic: The Province of HOCHLAND  (Read 36274 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
The Province of HOCHLAND
« on: May 05, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »
Famous for its Longrifle, Hochland is one of the northern provinces and is mostly covered in forest, with farms along the banks of the many rivers that flow out of the Middle Mountains.

Library Link:   http://warhammer-empire.com/library/aisforaltdorf/the-grand-barony-of-hochland/

Current Ruler:  Aldebrand Ludenhof
Capital: Hergig
Province Colours:  Red and Green
Main Trade: Timber and woodcrafts.

Map Link:  (Black & White) http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Hochland_v2_bw.jpg

Notes:

Notable Units:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:54:15 AM by rufus sparkfire »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Province of HOCHLAND
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 01:52:46 AM »
I love Hochland.

Why? I hear you ask? Is it because of the festive christmasy colours, the famous long rifle, the hunting tradition, the small size of the province or the fact that GW neglect it fluffwise compared to other provinces besides the mention of the Rifle?

It's all of these reasons.

The Red and Green is a wonderful scheme, and although some methods can make it look like christmas, overall it can look quite splendid. It can look similar to Altdorf, but differentiates itself with the green, and can still maintain the rich feel.

If some asks me 'What colour scheme is that' I reply Hochland. No one asks where that is, the famous Long Rifle's reputation precedes it. The Long Rifle is a potentially powerful weapon, and besides from a Nuln army, it is the only other army where it IS fluffy to take a lot of them.

The hunting tradition can lead to some interesting conversions, counts as, and themes. Nothing like using some dogs as Free Company, some Huntsmen as the jaegercorps and maybe even getting some hawkers or falconers.

Despite the small size of the province, it has a little bit of everything on the map. It has the middle mountains nearby, the howling hills, rivers, dense forests and many roads. There is a bit of space for farmland, and overall the province feels very localised and cozy. Hochland is situated roughly in the middle of the Empire - other provinces surround it meaning generally it is not the first to be attacked by an invading force.

GW's fluff for Hochland is lacking, and although a little disappointing, allows a lot of space for creativity. In general, the province is sparcely populated, and throughout GW's history have been both rich and poor. In 5th ed, Hochland was quite rich, and the illustration of the halberdier showed him in elaborate armour and flawless puff and sash. In 6th ed, GW decided to take the approach of a poorer province, populated mainly by woodsmen and hunters. However you can draw on what you want, and make the background fit the style you like.

Theming a Hochland army the way you want is perfectly acceptable. It is close enough to rich provinces to benefit from trade and military alliances, and far enough from the borders that it is not ravaged everytime an Orc Warlord gets annoyed that he locked himself out of his mountain stronghold. They can be poor farmers, woodsmen and hunters putting up a resistance, or the state mustering an army. Sigmarite priests wander the lands, and the poor as always flock to them, and equally Ulric is nearby with potential for a strong following. Taal is especially relevant, but regardless the Empire is polytheistic, and Hochland is no exception. You could even make a bandit army, or a road patrol force.

Beastmen make good hunting, and apparantly there was some fancy crown discovered nearby, so there are Orcs and Dwarfs running about too. Skaven can pour from the middle mountains, and the dead lie awaiting to be risen by a rogue Vampire or Necromancer.

The province has a bit of everything. They don't have overwhelming riches like Altdorf or Talabhiem, but they are not dirt poor like Stirland.

---

HOCHENHIEM BACKGROUND
My army comes from a mining settlement know as Hochenhiem. It sits at the base of the Middle Mountains, and goes deep underground to extract precious metals and gems. Food and supplies are purchased from local townships and villages, and can be stored in massive granaries and other suitable facilities within the mine. Should the local villages require protection, Hochenhiem offers its huge underground halls, and the protection of its professional army.

There are numerous Dwarfs living in Hochenhiem, the underground appeals to them, as does the promise of riches. Their expertise is invaluable in the maintenance and expansion of the mines. To attract fine engineers, a lot of money is spent securing Bugmans XXXX Ale, keeping the small population of Dwarfs VERY happy.

Hochenhiem also hosts an annual horse race through the more stable sections of the mine, which attracts racers and tourists alike from the old world and beyond. The Purebreed 55 is an international event in which racial differences are set aside (to a degree) in the interests of a fair and profitable race. As such, a fairly large and well equipped army is employed to police tourists, gamblers, and racing entourages. This same force protects Hochenhiem during the non-racing season (During race season, there are more than enough racing 'entourages' topside to repel any threat to the race). It is not uncommon at any time of year to see strangely dressed foreigners investigating the track and the facilities at Hochenhiem for their interested annoymous financiers.

HOCHENHIEM PERSONALITIES
Roderick de Berghe, Viscount of Hochenhiem
Roderick is a handsome man, and a born Hochlander. Born to the noble family of Dunstigfurt, the de Berghes had strong merchant ties, and Roderick was accustomed to meeting people from all across the Empire and beyond. Despite this early experience with foreigners, he did not get caught up in the romance of far away lands, and he kept a down to earth Hochland attitude, spending a lot of his youth honing his skills as an amateur hunter.
When Roderick came of age, he was, like the noble boys he had grown up with, accepted into the local Order of Knights of the Golden Griffon. Following tradition, he and some of the other young knights were tasked by the Grand Master to travel to the Middle Mountains and capture a baby Griffon. From the expedition, only 2 survived, Roderick de Berghe and Hayden Reifner. Roderick does not speak of what happened in the mountains, but it visibly haunted him for a long period after. When they returned to the Grand Master, it was revealed Roderick’s father had been murdered by a Dark Elf assassin posing as an elf merchant. Roderick quit the order, however for his courage and service he was granted permission to keep the hatchling.
Roderick spent the years after he quit the order managing his families lands and finances, re-establishing strong trade links with Wolfenburg, Talabhiem and Nuln, as well as tending to the griffon hatchling, training it, and gaining its respect. During the Storm of Chaos, Roderick led the retreat of many southern communities north to the Middle Mountains. A small mining colony near Breder was where they ended up, and the people sought refuge underground. This unorthodox exodus saved countless lives, and allowed some of Hochland’s military forces to re-group and launch a rear attack on the Chaos host during the Battle of Middenhiem. Commanding one of these forces was Roderick de Berghe. In the aftermath of the Storm of Chaos, Ludenhof saw the leadership potential in this man, and offered him a lucrative job, with responsibilities not as yet defined elsewhere in the Empire.
Hochenhiem, the small mining colony that Roderick and the southern Hochlanders had by chance stumbled across, had recently began to extract valuable minerals for use in the production of new suits of Full Plate Armour. Roderick, because of his strong trading ties and leadership credibility was given the title ‘Viscount or Hochenhiem’ and given the task of transforming this small mining outpost into a fully operational mine. Roderick was also given full authority over the protection of the mine and export of the mineral. Of course the mining operations would pay hefty taxes to the state, but full support of the state was given to decisions made by Roderick.
To defend Hochenhiem, and the interests of Hochland, many veteran state troops as well as the forces Roderick commanded during the Strom of Chaos were commissioned to Hochenhiem. With Roderick’s still strong ties with the Knights of the Golden Griffon, when the occasion calls for it, these noble knights will ride to battle beside their old comrade.

Andrej Ricard Wensiech, Grand Prolocutor of Truth
to be completed

HOCHENHIEM ARMY
PROFESSIONALS
to be completed

CONSCRIPTED
to be completed

ENTOURAGES
to be completed
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:17:19 AM by Warlord »
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Brynjolf Irontooth

• Members
  • Bourgomeister of Bunddorf (Hochland)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:41:40 AM »
Hochland is situated roughly in the middle of the Empire - other provinces surround it meaning generally it is not the first to be attacked by an invading force.

Well, with the Storm of Chaos 4 out of 5 of Archaon's armies marched through Hochland. So, they have their part in taking care of invading forces.  :icon_lol:

This also makes the discussion between weither it is a poor or a rich province pointless now, as they are now definately poor having to rebuilt their entire province.

Anyway, I'm now one of the Hochland's generals as well. So I would be glad to read some more of your made-up fluff. So far it was fun to read.

Friendly regards
BI

Offline vonbrunel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »
Also a Hochland Player hear its good to see such in depth fluff for an army!

I have painted my Knights as coming from the  order of the silver mountain as they are mentioned in the first bit of back ground in the empire book before the current one its a lesson in tactics to Ludenhof's son i believe.

I to like the colour scheme as you say it is rich and uniform if you want but can be made scrufy and poor if you prefer i also find the over all look is good even for fairly average painters like myself.

Well ther you have it there are 3 of us now good hunting chaps :icon_biggrin:

Offline Hochland Hero

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 06:13:30 AM »
im also a new Hochland General and i found this topic to be very helpfull
Quote from: Tostig
while drinking, once you're proficient enough, makes you invulnerable.

Offline Hing

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 07:27:41 AM »
Hello comrade Hochlanders! This topic is like dream come true! Army book doesn't give very much information of state of Hochland... I have forgotten the huntsmen! I maybe, no I MUST add unit of them to my army. Thanks for reminding me. :blush:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:14:13 PM by Hing »

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 07:29:28 AM »
I also really like this army, although painting it is getting kinda boring now. Just a short break should do the trick I hope...

This will be the first army of the 'complete Empire' project and is fully themed around this province. Next in the line is Nuln...

----------------------------------------

Edit:
The old library also had suggested units/troops for the different provinces so lets also do that for Hochland.

-General of the Empire (representing Aldebrand Ludendorf or a Bourgomeister from Hergig or other larger town)
-Grandmaster (representing the Lord of the Knights of the Silver Mountain or another 'hired' major Knightly Order)
-Archlector (no Waraltar, these are too impractical to use in Hochland & the highest Arch Lectors do not hail from Hochland)
-Wizardlord (no Lvl4, Preferably Amber or Jade orders)

-Captain of the Empire
-Sigmar Warrior Priest
-Battle Wizard (Most likely Amber or Jade orders)

-Spearmen, Halbardiers, Free Company, Archers, Huntsmen -representing the Jeager Corps- (NO, crossbowmen or swordsmen. Swordsmen being too expensive too train and maintain, crossbows being more used in the south of the Empire and Hochlanders prefer the Handgun/Longrifle/Bow/Longbow)
-Knightly Orders (Knights of the Silver Mountain, 'hired' major orders, also small detachments of White Wolves)

-Greatswords (Aldebrand's Bodyguard)
-Inner Circle Knights (no more then normal knights)
-Great Cannon
-Mortar
(NO, Pistoliers/Outriders as again these are too expensive and Hochland youth is more likely to join the Jeager Corps)

-Flagellants (especially now Hochland has become a poor and grim province after it was ruined during the Storm of Chaos)
-DoW, especially light cavalry representing troops from Kislev or Huntsmasters (mounted Jeager Corps with warhounds)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 08:17:28 AM by LochNESS »
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »
I disagree on a few points here, LochNESS... however each to their own. Restricting choices for restirctions sake is restrictive  :biggriin:

Seriously though, I think a guide on how to build the Hochland would be handy, but it is a matter of perspective.

Ok, firstly, the Lords.

A General is probably the best choice fluff wise.
A Grandmaster would also be fluffy with an appropriate local order - however I don't think should be common place in Hochland builds. Only really in the bigger armies would I be inclined to include one.
A Wizard Lord I don't think would again be too out of place, but the lores you suggested LochNESS are pretty spot on. Fire could be a rogue wizard causing bushfires  :evil: however you would need to have a bandit army to accompany it.
All lores of magic could be encouraged, as according to WHRP Sigmar's Heirs, a school of wizardry (or college of sorcery) approved by the Emperor is situated in Hergig.
Arch Lectors though, I am undecided upon the actual reasoning behind their inclusion. Much like 6th ed EC's, I think the Arch Lector represents a higher powered Warrior Priest, rather than one of the 2 actual Arch Lectors of the Empire. But again, that is a matter of perspective. As such, I think a Spiritual leader higher than an Warrior Priest would be justified in a province recently devastated by Chaos.

Captains, Warrior Priests and Battles wizards are again acceptable.
An Engineer, although the poorest choice available could potentially represent a skilled marksman of some sort joining the army. Armed with a HLR, and not positioned with a warmachine would be fluffy - however somewhat ineffective.

As for Core choices:
Halberds fit in a Hochland army, however there may not be enough space to swing one of these in the forest, thus losing some of its utility.
A similar thing could be said for spears - a unit of these could not hold rank in deep forest very easily, however they are easy to train, and would be used elsewhere.
Swordsmen on the other hand, can operate much more easily in the dense woodland, and the 'dashing' nature of swordsmen mean that they can fend for themselves a bit easier in the woods. I do agree however that these boys would be expensive to maintain, but the necessity for them is hard to ignore.
Free Company of course could be used widespread in Hochland, the local farmers and militia taking up arms to defend their homeland. Their skills with bows and handguns would also mean these locals would be recruited into these regiments also.
Again, Hochlanders are hunters, and Taal is quite important to their lifestyle, as well as Rhya. The meat of choice in Hochland is Venison, however fishing on the river is also a major source of Hochland foodstuffs. Huntsmen are almost a must in a Hochland army.
Crossbowmen most definitely are better suited for southern provinces, what with it being one of the signature weapons of Tilea.

As far as knights go, there are local orders across all of the Empire. As mentioned, the order of the Silver Mountain is one of the famous local orders, however there is nothing to stop you creating your own order from local nobility, or even employing the 'Hunters of Sigmar' (see NC board for detail). Knights are used tactically on plains and even ground for best effect, so be careful how many of these units you use in your army, as lots of knights are not exactly a fluffy thing in Hochland.

Greatswords of course are the counts bodyguard, and like any other province could have a showing.
Pistoliers I think would be quite commonplace in Hochland. Fast cav able to move quickly through the woods, and engage in light skirmishes, using blackpowder like many hunters, I think pistoliers would often see a place in a Hochland army.
Outriders I think are better suited to the plains, and so would be unsuited for Hochland.

War Machines I am undecided on. Cannons and Mortars are crucial for an Empire army, but the frequency and effectiveness of which they could be used in wooded battles is questionable. Although should the Hochland army meet another army on the field of battle, machines of war from the capital, and from Fort Schippel would be used to great effect.

Hochland's centrality could be used to justify a travelling Steam Tank, however its utility in think forest is questionable. I don't think a Steam Tank would visit Hochland too often, so maybe only for use in bigger battles.

We are led to believe that flagellants are roaming across all the Empire, but for such a battered province thanks to the Strom of Chaos, this can easily be said of Hochland. Flagellants looking to battle any remnants of the Chaos incursion would scour the Great Forest, and as such Hochland.

Dwarves are locals to Hergig, and it could be assumed they are situated in other areas of Hochland as well. a unit of DoW Dwarves would not be out of place in a Hochland army - personally I like a unit of Warriors with Heavy armour and Great Weapons (using miner models) to hit hard, and look good.

Because of the 3 major roads through Hochland, Knights of the White Wolf, Warrior Priests of Ulric, or even Gryphon Legion could also be justified in the Hochland army as travelling through the province, and thus make an appearance in a Hochland army.

Unique and characterful DoW and RoR units, unless renowned for travelling through the northern Empire in general would not be commonplace in a Hochland army. Pikes, for similar reasons as spears would not be used often either. Think hard before taking a DoW or RoR choice, to make sure it fits Hochland's locality and your army's feel.

Sorry for taking so long to continue my post...  :blush:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 03:59:15 PM by Warlord »
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 08:11:23 PM »
Nice list and explainations. My idea for the spear is based on 'favoured weapons' from I believe the 6th edition armybook. But I can see your choice for Swordsmen for those reasons and would be fluffy in that way.

As for the Archlector, I agree with you as he is a better warriorpriest. But I meant that a waraltar (in the sense of chariot) would not be very useful in Hochland considering the terrain. You could convert up a cool Altar in some other way.

Magic, I agree that on lower levels other mages would be possible. Lending their services to people helping them with the forging, or other things. Grey wizards seem likely I think, as might be one from the colleges of light (in search of chaos) would be likely to appear, or a bright wizard was send to your company to help out in a heavy battle and deliver some direct damage.

Defenitely agree on the huntsmen (or archers & militia for that matter)

Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
Some more stuff on the lands of Hochland:

Hochland is the smallest provinces in terms of size. It borders in the North to the Middle Mountains, the west border is the river Talabec and a tributary river. The capital Hergig lies next to this river on the Western shore. The river has two main crossings north of Hergig , just a little north of Hergig lies the Struhelspan Bridge and even further north close to the Middlemountains and Wolfensburg (the capital of Ostland) lies the mighty fortress of Lenkster which held out remarkably long during the Storm of Chaos. Along this river lies also the village of Breder which suffered badly during the Storm of Chaos.

Other smaller villages that lie just south of the Middle Mountains on the road from Wolfenburg towards Middenheim are Esk, Krudenwald and Immelscheld. Other large routes through Hochland are the 'old forest road' from Talabheim towards Marienburg and some mountainpasses that pass Brasskeep (a mighty fortress) into Ostland and further into Kislev are also important to trade. Most roads will have a quite a number of fortified inns for travellers and merchants to safely stay during the night, because there are quite a number of known Beastmen Herds in the forests of Hochland. In the Middle Mountains the Dwarfs have they only known hold outside of the World Edge Mountains and here creatures such as Griffins, and Dragon Ogres can be found here.

In the south lies a small village called Gruyden and scattered throughout the Great Forest lie dozens of castles and watchtowers to keep an eye on Beastmen activity and offer shelter during attacks for local farmers and villagers. Most famous of these fortresses are Fort Denkh, Fort Schippel and Schoppendorf (a very large castle).

Sources: 5th, 6th, 7th edition armybooks, Storm of Chaos armybook.

Offline ant7

• Members
Help With Hochland- I need Advise
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 01:50:52 AM »
Ok tonight I sat down and went through the library section in this forum (very informative) anyway after extensive reading and checking out GW website on the Empire I decided to go with Hochland. But being fairly new to WFB and really new to the Empire I don't want to be considered as fielding a cheesy army.
I want to make this army as themed as possible and the only thing that bothers me is the Hochland long rifles and Empire gun lines. I am not too sure what constitutes a gun line and as I am not overly fond of fielding a massive amount of guns so I want to ask some of the experts.
a. What is a gun line and what is a safe number to field?
b. Any other references to Hochland would be great.

Thanks in advance

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 11:19:58 PM »
what are the green and red color you fine generals use on your hochland dudes? I really want to doa army in Hochland but they end up too christmas like, so what are your colors?

Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Help With Hochland- I need Advise
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 01:40:52 AM »
Ok tonight I sat down and went through the library section in this forum (very informative) anyway after extensive reading and checking out GW website on the Empire I decided to go with Hochland. But being fairly new to WFB and really new to the Empire I don't want to be considered as fielding a cheesy army.
I want to make this army as themed as possible and the only thing that bothers me is the Hochland long rifles and Empire gun lines. I am not too sure what constitutes a gun line and as I am not overly fond of fielding a massive amount of guns so I want to ask some of the experts.
a. What is a gun line and what is a safe number to field?
b. Any other references to Hochland would be great.

Your previous thread here

References to Hochland are relatively scarce. If you can get your hands on a copy of the WHFRP 'Sigmar's Heirs' there is a bit of information about Hochland in there, however for the most part our Library has most of that information.

If you chose Hochland to take a LOT of handgunners / outriders and max out on HLR then yes you will be called cheesy. In general you will get classed as a Gunline if you take more than 20 Handgunners (or their equivalent) with more than 3 War Machines.

Hochland is renowned for its hunting lifestyle, in particular its rifle. However you would find that Nuln also does a lot of the handgun production, so if primarily handguns are what you want, you may be better suited to a Nuln themes army.

There are of course varaitions to this depending upon the rest of your army composition, but try to ensure you have a balance of troop types in your army. If you read the TVI tactica, it gives good instruction as to how to build a balanced army, and a Hochland army can easily follow this script and remain fluffy.

Some interesting theming choices you could make would be:
Take Huntsmen as your JaegerCorps / woodsmen
Take a unit (or detachment) of Free Company and model the front rank on hunting dogs being pulled by hunters
Combine these 2 ideas together, and take a unit of handgunners with a detachment of dogs...
Take a few units (or detachments) of archers
Use nature based lores of magic - such as beasts and life
The Helstorm and Helblaster probably wouldn't be used that often in the dense forests of Hochland

After SoC, lots of Flagellants wander the land of Hochland (as it was in the path to Middenhiem afterall) and I'm sure there are Warrior Priests still around trying to heal the people.

Whats more, Hochland isn't exactly renowned for its Steam Tanks, so taking multiple steam tanks in a Hochland army could also be classed as cheesy.

Keep in mind, these are only suggestions, you can use whatever choices you want to get your theme across...

what are the green and red color you fine generals use on your hochland dudes? I really want to doa army in Hochland but they end up too christmas like, so what are your colors?

I use Goblin Green, apply Dark Green Ink over the top, and generally touch up with Snot Green.
For red, I often use Red Gore, then Scab Red, with the occasion touch up of Blood Red (very occasional)

This leaves my army looking very dark and I guess 'christmasy'. I don't have a problem with the look. My Hochlanders are very heavily armoured (change from 5th ed fluff to 6th ed fluff) and the dark colours contrast well with the shiny armour of my troops.

My fluff is that the army is from Hochenhiem - a mine in the middle mountains that turns a tidy profit, and home of an annual horse race which attracts interest from across the old world. Thus my army is VERY well funded, and on occasion can send aid to the armies of Hochenhiem state, or any other province as per direction from Ludenhof.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:07:33 AM by Warlord »

Offline ant7

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 08:38:33 PM »
Thanks for all the info Warlord, I didn't realize I ws posting in the wrong area. My main concern was the gun lines and believe me I don't want that many guns in my army. I liked 99% of the fluff concerning Hochland but the guns bothered me a bit so I really just wanted to know what would be acceptable in terms of guns as I had no idea what a gun line was really. I definately will use some of the ideas youv'e mentioned. the hunting hounds sound awesome as does the two lores which I will be taking after reading the province info on this site.
I also read about the woodsmen with the two handed axes I like that idea for greatswords and I read something about the Knights of hte silver Mountains but I can find nothing in the way of artwork or painted mini's.

Offline Barbosa

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 08:58:46 PM »
Sounds like a former elf player here wanting his archer boys...LOL! Nah, he's converted tot he true army of the Empire. :engel: On the latter note, blackpowder weapons are one of the core elements of the Empire. I mean man invented the musket to do what...thats right, kill elves and beastmen! If you took say 100 troops with rifles, three cannons and three dogs of war cannons and filled every character slot I would say yes your beard is long! But, a core choice is a core choice...right?  :happy:
"Black powder weapons are not a crutch...but they can be good reasons for Elves to use crutches!"

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 01:47:21 AM »
Thanks for all the info Warlord, I didn't realize I ws posting in the wrong area. My main concern was the gun lines and believe me I don't want that many guns in my army. I liked 99% of the fluff concerning Hochland but the guns bothered me a bit so I really just wanted to know what would be acceptable in terms of guns as I had no idea what a gun line was really. I definately will use some of the ideas youv'e mentioned. the hunting hounds sound awesome as does the two lores which I will be taking after reading the province info on this site.
I also read about the woodsmen with the two handed axes I like that idea for greatswords and I read something about the Knights of hte silver Mountains but I can find nothing in the way of artwork or painted mini's.

No problem. Thats ok, this is only a new section of the site, so the more members that post here with their ideas, the better resource it will be.

Woodsmen with 2 handed axes can work well for both greatswords OR flagellants. Flails the first round of combat are S5, and I wouldn't woodchoppers wearing much armour... however I also wouldn't imagine them frenzied...

Guns aren't the be all and end all of Hochland. The hunting culture I believe is more flavoursome.

The Knights of the Silver Mountain don't really have any pictures representing them. This is where you can establish your own freedom of expression. You can build / convert / paint them however you desire. I really like the kitbashing efforts in the Brush and Palette board combining 7th ed puffy feathers, hats and helmets with knightly or pistolier bodies.

Sounds like a former elf player here wanting his archer boys...LOL! Nah, he's converted tot he true army of the Empire. :engel: On the latter note, blackpowder weapons are one of the core elements of the Empire. I mean man invented the musket to do what...thats right, kill elves and beastmen! If you took say 100 troops with rifles, three cannons and three dogs of war cannons and filled every character slot I would say yes your beard is long! But, a core choice is a core choice...right?  :happy:

How do you get 3 DoW cannon? Or are you suggesting a bigger than 2000 pt game? Actually, the Dwarves invented the musket...

:engel:

You are right though. You don't have to let the theme restrict your choice if you do not wish to. It is completely up to you.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »
My knights of the Silver mountain, for my Hochland army are boltgun metal armour and barding with red and green trim, to keep them in with the rest of my army.

Basically painted like Reiskguard in the book but with red and green trim around the bottoms of the barding and on shields and plumes.  I also have a unit with white shields, as I have three units and white does not clash with my army as many of my free company have white on them.

I used the Reiksguard helms and shields for them, and i tend to use as many of the upwards facing lances as possible t avoid having problems with ranking up while in combat.

I also have a sizable white wolf unit too, as Middenland is a key supporter of Hochland.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline ant7

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 01:37:08 AM »
Thanks for the info it really helps, I wanted this army to be themed and I am using any details I can get my hands on.
Crimsonsphinx - I like the sound of those knights, since we have this sight and we are trying to share ideas for each province maybe I could use the color scheme too and maybe start a trend. I mean that is what this sight is all about anyway.
Warlord - I never thought about the flagellents, that would fit better than great swords, I would just need to work out the frenzy thing. Maybe they're packing some kind of mushroom or weed from deep within the forest that causes them to lose it, lol, I don't really like that idea, it just kind of came to me.
Actually after reading the entry on Hochland in the library it talks about Rhya and even the ancient beliefs are still strong so maybe I could justify crazed and unbreakable as their feverent beliefs in the the ancient ways as Hochland is still superstitious and these backwoodsmen maybe hold onto these beliefs stronger than those Hochlanders who are more "enlightened" as it were. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:50:35 AM by ant7 »

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 01:11:48 PM »
Actually after reading the entry on Hochland in the library it talks about Rhya and even the ancient beliefs are still strong so maybe I could justify crazed and unbreakable as their feverent beliefs in the the ancient ways as Hochland is still superstitious and these backwoodsmen maybe hold onto these beliefs stronger than those Hochlanders who are more "enlightened" as it were. 

There's kind of a precedent in the GW fluff, namely the Ulric Wolfkin from the Storm of Chaos "Cult of Ulric" list. They were not exactly flaggelants, but close. Your idea could be a plausible explanation, I'd say.

Offline ant7

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Would it be more in keeping with the fluff of Hochland if I used mainly militia/free compnay as my detachments?

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
Free company or handgunners.  With all the jagercorps that Hochland will have, small bands of handguns or longbows is highly characterful.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 03:51:37 AM »
Howdy,

Not much action going on in Hochland! Seems the last post here was November 2007, What happened?

Where are you Hochlander Generals posting stuff about Hochland now?

I hope someone will be able to answer these questions for me.

What knightly orders would most likely be in a Hochland army?

Would the all be generic or be a named order?

Would any Kislev knights be present?

I noticed that the most likely wiz would be either a Beast or Life, is that correct, if so, which one would get the most votes?

I ask because funds are short and I cannot build lots of options for the army so need to carefully select my units. I hope you all understand and thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

cya

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 04:27:28 AM »
Welcome Hochland General empiresilly!

These posts are always alive, its just a matter for people to post in them.

As far as knightly orders go, the most famous local Hochland Knightly order would be the Knights of the Sliver Mountain. The knights of White Wolf would not be out of place, and the Hunters of Sigmar would be very fitting.

The library
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/library/knights/knights_index.php
has some great info about all the different knighly orders in the Empire.

I personally have some Knights of the Great Griffon (an order I made up myself) and that I find is the most fun.

Kislev knights (Gryphon Legion / Winged Lancers) would not be out of place. Hochland is a northern province, and the Gryphon Legion often are leant out across the Empire for various reasons. Plus, the non-barded horses I think fit the province quite well.

Beast and Life would be most likely, but Beasts IMO is the most effective. I don't think shadow would be out of place either in the dark forest, and I guess pretty much any lore of wizard could be attracted to Hergig without too much of a problem.
Still, I would go for Beasts.

Offline Succoros

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »
Seeings how this has just been revived...when looking for a theme to base an army I came across a small bit of fluff in the BoC book about Count Mikael of Hochland and Gother and was wondering if theres any more detail about him  ( I can't find anything but two small paragraphs :|). Which is a shame as he's probably the most intresting character to come from Hochland.
"Its a man's life in the halberd regiments..." spoken by an Imperial recruiter in Hergig, shortly afterwards laughed out of town.

Offline random.brown

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »
Hello,

I should be receiving my Empire Army box in the mail today, and I'm excited to get building!  Of all the Empire provinces I like Hochland's colors and (minimal) fluff the best, so I'm definitely going red & green

I'm planning on painting my 8 Knights up as Hunters of Sigmar--does anyone have any photos or conversion details I could use for inspiration, other than the one pic in the Library?

Thanks!

Random