home

Author Topic: Tilea, Estalia, & the Border Princes  (Read 34162 times)

Offline Marcus_Octavius

• Members
  • Strength and Honor
Tilea, Estalia, & the Border Princes
« on: July 15, 2007, 07:40:25 PM »
     Tilea has always been a cultural center of the Old World from the First founding of their greatest city state "Remas."  The Republic of Remas was founded after the exodus of the High Elves from the Old World and the founding of the ancient city of Khemri.  The city of Remas was born in the Imperial Year Sigmar -1800, by the twin brothers Remus and Romulus.  The mighty nobles of Remas were quick learners in warfare, adopting the many fighting styles and technologies of nearby tribes as well as the ancient races of Elves and Dwarfs.  Their success in warfare spread Reman culture to every corner of the Old World influencing the barbarian tribes to the north of the Grey Mountains; including the Teutogens, Thurigians, Cheruses, Merogens, & Unberogens who would one day form the Empire of Sigmar. 

After the fall of the Reman Empire in the year -200, the northern tribes of Men began to build their own civilizations from the ashes of the Reman outpost cities.  They incorporated ancient Reman warfare tactics into the training of the new Imperial Armies of Sigmar and though technology has changed greatly over the years, the old ways still prove effective.  The Empire of Sigmar is in essence a second founding of Remas, a renaissance or revival of the great culture that once dominated the whole of the Old World.

State Colors: Red & Gold
State Symbol: Aquila (Eagle)
Map Link: Tilea Map

My army is built in the manner of the ancient armies of the Reman Empire; highly disciplined and flexible Legionary Swordsmen engulf the enemy and let them exhaust themself in a vain attempt to break their shield wall; while the engineers use an array of artillery to annihilate entire enemy regiments with deadly projectiles!

And now the army list:

The Reman Legions - By Aaron Chapman
2250 Pts  -   Empire Army

Tribunus "Marcus Octavius Imperator" (Empire General) @ 145 Pts
     General; Full Plate Armor; Shield
     "Virga Imperium" - Rod of Command

Aquilifer "Titus Quintilius Magnus" (Captain -BSB) @ 183 Pts
     Full Plate Armor; Battle Standard
     "Aquila" - Imperial Banner

Centurio "Tiberius Lucius Herculius" (Captain) @ 60 Pts
     Full Plate Armor; Shield

29 Centuria I - Legionaries (Swordsmen) @ 224 Pts (joined by Aquilifer)
     Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
     "Manus" - War Banner
     Optio "Lucius Flavius Brutus" (Duellist Upgrade)

9 Vexillation - Legionaries (Detachment - Swordsmen) @ 54 Pts
          Light Armour; Shield
     5 Vexillation - Sagittarii (Detachment - Archer) @ 40 Pts
          Normal Bow

29 Centuria I - Legionaries (Swordsmen) @ 189 Pts (joined by Centurio)

Light Armour; Shield
          Normal Bow

Centurio "Decius Pontius Rex" (Captain) @ 60 Pts
     Full Plate Armor; Shield

29 Centuria II - Legionaries (Swordsmen) @ 199 Pts (joined by Tribunus)
     Optio "Gaius Marius Dominicus" (Duellist Upgrade)

Light Armour; Shield
          Normal Bow

29 Centuria II - Legionaries (Swordsmen) @ 189 Pts (joined by Centurio)

Light Armour; Shield
          Normal Bow

5 Equites Antesignani (Pistoliers) @ 97 Pts
     Brace of Pistols; Light Armour; Musician; Warhorse

5 Equites Antesignani (Pistoliers) @ 97 Pts
     Brace of Pistols; Light Armour; Musician; Warhorse

Ballista (Great Cannon) @ 100 Pts

Ballista (Great Cannon) @ 100 Pts

Onager (Helstrom Rocket Battery) @ 115 Pts

Onager (Helstrom Rocket Battery) @ 115 Pts

Casting Pool: 2
Dispel Pool: 2

Models in Army: 202
(4 Characters / 154 Swordsmen / 20 archers / 12 Artillery Crewmen / 4 Artillery Pieces / 10 Pistoliers)
Total Army Cost: 2249
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:39:30 PM by Midaski »
-Aaron Chapman

Veni, Vidi, Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered

Offline Alexander de Wissont

• Members
  • Missing our most Eccentric member, a great man
The Decadent Pirate Principaulty of SARTOSA, TILEA
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
Facts:
Ruler: The current elected ruler of Sartosa is the notorious Pirate Princess. Her reputation for being ten times more cruel than any of her predecessors is no exaggeration, and she has been the longest lasting ruler to date.
Map:http://www.davesgames.net/wfrp2/jpg/Sartosa-full-chuck.jpg
Cities and other infos:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=17626
Other infos will soon come....
Everything in one way or another references Monty Python
Rufas the Eccentric.RIP

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
Re: The Decadent Pirate Principaulty of SARTOSA, TILEA
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 03:22:21 AM »

Why thankyou... thankyou very much for this information
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
Re: The Decadent Pirate Principaulty of SARTOSA, TILEA
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:53:52 AM »
Interesting!
Maybe she is a lahmian... hmmmm.... :icon_mrgreen:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
Re: The Republic of REMAS, TILEA
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
I love referances to the old roman empire and I for one am glad to see a Reman Imperial legion.
Also I admire you having no wizards of any kind, it would of been so easy to cheese it up using wizards.

I salute your army and may the gods smile upon you.  :engel:
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:05:24 PM »
Nice

I keep thinking of getting some Romans in 28mm (especially those Warlord Games, tiny and wee as they are) and something like this would let me dual purpose them.

hmmm
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
  • For the Emperor, the Empire & Sigmar
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 09:42:45 PM »
Nice

I keep thinking of getting some Romans in 28mm (especially those Warlord Games, tiny and wee as they are) and something like this would let me dual purpose them.

hmmm

Well, if Tileans are the WH version of the Italians then it wouldn't matter if those warlord roman models are slightly smaller. :engel:
Long live the Crown of Solland

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
Re: Tilea, Estalia, & the Border Princes
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
heh

I suspect they will be more hobbit like next to GW stuff lol
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »
These Remans are crazy!  :icon_biggrin:
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 05:39:05 AM »
yea i'm going to give the Reman list a try this week I think.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »
So if Tilea are patterned after the Roman History, very cool, what of Estalia and the Border Princes?

Is Estalia patterned after the  Spanish Conquistodors? (sp)  :unsure:

And what about the Border Princes? Who or what would they be?

Is there anything written that talks about them that someone could point me in that direction?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.  :smile2:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 11:53:28 PM »
Actually, Tilea is not just patterned after Roman history, but instead different eras of Italian history.  The same for Estailia as Spanish history.  Regarding the Border Princes, I'm not aware that this was created with a specific historical reference in mind, and seems to be more of a place set aside for a mix of different cultures clashing with one another over the same land area.  Some of the names of cities do harken back to Greece and the baltic states though.

I believe there is a Black Library book that helps provide some detail for the Border Princes, and it was created for the WFRP system.  Also, as of this post there is the "madalfred" website that provides some maps and details regarding the area, some of which seems to have been created by the site's owner.

Currently there has been an effort here on the W-E site to use some of the "madalfred" stuff for the Ex-Province of Solland thread and it's corresponding "Solland Effort" event, as well as an associated Border Prince sideline thread to this story campaign, too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Thurlac

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 08:31:10 PM »
that is soooo cool. :smile2:
Have you ever considered letting Sigmar into your life? Please read these educational and informative pamphlets. No, no, my colleague is quite all right, thank you. He always foams like that. The flail? A sort of comfort blanky, honest. Ignore the singe marks.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 08:37:02 PM »
Yeah I believe The Border Princes to be a mix of Ancient-medieval Greece and the Balkans. Tilea used to be Roman (Reman) but now it is based on the Condottieri (mercenary lords). Estalia is basically spain.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Psycho Pirate

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »
For the border princes I have written up my own realm in the region loosely based off of early Hungary with Hussars (DoW heavy cav without barding) as their main means of defense between settlements.  Had to give them a willingness to hire mercenaries, since it is a DoW army and I had too many unit concepts to fit into this small area.

When I came up with my concept, after reading as much material I could, I basically came to the assumption that there are other minor realms that would barrow from other balkan states.

In the current VC book there is a story of a Strigoi vampire lord who has his own realm in the BP region that should not be forgotten.

Also should not be overlooked that Dwarves would be quite active in the area, and there likely would still be some errant Bret knights (although likely a bit older)

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 10:39:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure the strigoi kingdom was in the badlands. But t's people migrated north to become the Strigany/Rom and they've given the names to the various border prince towns.

Though atm, the Bretonnians are in charge.

WFRP 2

Offline Psycho Pirate

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »
Not referring to a a full kingdom of them, referring to a holding ruled by just one. Again, in the current VC army book in the notable vampires section.  Suspect he was a special character in prior additions that was dropped.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »
Yes, back before the Imperial calendar, Ushoran, first of the Strigoi ruled over the Strigany (Humans, not the Vampires, though he probably had some thralls) from his city (can't remember the name, starts with an M).

Dork Redeye, an Orc Warboss then came over and stamped on them, lots of the Strigany died and fled north to the BP and the rest of the old world to live in caravans.

Offline Psycho Pirate

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 04:54:27 AM »
Finally got off my duff and pulled out my VC book.  Page 27, Gashnag "The Black Prince", CURRENT AGE! The destroyed city you're referring to is a different entry entirely in the book.  Specifically mentioned as being in the Border Prince region, NOT the badlands.

Thought it was important to mention this as it does sort of set the tone for the region, that pretty much anyone can become a 'prince.' Also helps to show that there really is no overall control of the region.

Information on Araby should also be presented here as it is another human dominant region, even if it is little discussed.

Also, does anyone know if there are any human magic schools/colleges outside the empire?  I would imagine someone would have had the idea to set up shop somewhere else, either for convenience or profit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:28:23 AM by Psycho Pirate »

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »
Don't think so about the magic schools Psycho Pirate, the whole college of magic in Altdorf was a one of thing I guess.
Although the prophetess of the lady in brettonia could sort of be something like that but they only take girl students and kill the boy ones (so the 'legends go).

I am thinking it would be more an apprenticeship or small group then an academy. Because otherwise the witch hunters would shut it down (by shut it down, kill everyone)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re:
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »
Would Witch Hunters really bother doing that outside the Empire though? I would imagine there would be worse things going on elsewhere that would require their attention, both inside and outside the empire...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 09:25:50 AM »
Oh i'd be surprised if they have any influence outside of Altdorf (snigger). With all these witches running around now I'm wondering why the empire hasn't fallen before lol

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »
the topic of other old world kingdoms (and that of all Human nations in the world) should be explored further. With an admin's permission, I would like to go over to Mad Alfred's achieve and raid some pics and gazzets to post up on this thread from further discussion on astablished and fan created kingdoms.

:::cheers:::
I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »
Might I also suggest you take a look at this thread

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 11:55:05 PM »
Might I also suggest you take a look at this thread

I have taken a great long look at that. However seeing that the article on Tilea isn't out to the public yet and the links in the thread only lead to a preview (although a really, really, good preview) doesn't give any information into the deeper workings of the Tilean region.

I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O