home

Author Topic: Interview with the Perry Brothers in 2020 ...  (Read 574 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Interview with the Perry Brothers in 2020 ...
« on: May 17, 2021, 06:21:36 PM »
Here is an interview with the Perry Brothers in 202 regarding their sculpting ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIA1vF64dc
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: Interview with the Perry Brothers in 2020 ...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 11:59:06 AM »
Most of the Warhammer Fantasy human miniatures that I love were sculpted by the Perrys. I saw an interview with them a few years ago and if I remember correctly they basically said, that they were not all that fond of the fantasy miniatures in general and don't even remember many of their works. I found that quite disappointing somehow ..

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »
Their historical line is huge.  They have increased the skill of their sculpting since their early days with GW.  Their historical figures really are more realistic then than most if not all of their GW fantasy figures.  Perhaps their best fantasy figures are the Lord of the Rings line when it comes to detail and realism in style.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 02:26:16 PM »
Haha! I love that they wouldn't go into why they left GW as it "could get messy" and that they have no interest in going back at all, it's very telling when you've got these guys and others that we've seen interviews with that couldn't get out of the door quick enough...

I also think it's great that they were so involved and welcomed in and around the filming of LOTR, these sort of franchised spin-offs and merchandised things can very often just seem like cash cows on the back of a film or tv series but it's great to see that the LOTR tabletop game is almost so ingrained into the culture around the films and that it's even a personal hobby of Peter Jackson, it feels like their contributions to the whole thing were really appreciated and highly thought of.

Final thing that struck me was the notion that a lot of things (GW) are sculpted digitally these days. It of course makes sense in this digital age we live in but I think I just naively thought that a sculpt is a sculpt and will always have some sort of physical entity that is maybe scanned into a digital plane and refined, but the idea that it's just entirely a digital creation is maybe a little deflating, it sort of takes away the magic a little bit :icon_frown:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 03:18:58 PM »
In an earlier interview of Priestly, by the same YouTuber, Priestly had a very similar reply on the question on why/how he left GW.  :icon_lol:

You can find that interview browsing the channel a bit.

The twins talk a lot over each other and always seem to find interviews funny, resulting in much laughter. It's sometimes hard to make sense of what they're saying. Probably no problem for native speakers.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 05:02:38 PM »
In an earlier interview of Priestly, by the same YouTuber, Priestly had a very similar reply on the question on why/how he left GW.  :icon_lol:

This happens when profit maximisation overrules everything else. I guess that is what eventually happened at GW. You have to please the shareholders after all ..